Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,402   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, mednowlabs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modifying a cache for vertical and horizontal entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modifying a cache for vertical and horizontal entry

Has anyone modified a vertical cache to use in a horizontal briefcase? I got a vertical 6z for my Lenovo and later a vertical Surface Pro for my (er) Surface Pro, and use them in my S25. The Lenovo was tight in my DLBC, but with the move to the Surface Pro it fits much better - except that it opens in the wrong direction. I'm thinking a couple of runs with a sewing machine, a sharp scissors, and maybe a strap with velcro or a snap would make it versatile in both vertical and horizontal applications.

I realize the rail straps will not work in the DLBC, but I'm fine with that. The downward protection may also be a little less, but I'm OK with that risk. I'm just curious if someone has figured out how to do this well, so I don't ruin the one I have (and need to pay the $40 for a new horizontal cache.)

Thanks for the advice and feedback.

-Slbear

I haven't done this...but my first thought would be to sew a set of rails to the other orientation and buy a pair of the clips for $5

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=17808503495
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I do get the idea. Today I just remove the cache then remove the surface from it. I'd like to just pull the surface out of the briefcase.

Do you think cutting the cache down one of the long sides will cause it to come apart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it would definitely degrade over time. You could probably buy some bias tape or similar to cover the raw edge and sew it down to improve longevity. Not exactly pretty, depending on your skill level, but probably better than a raw edge.

EDIT - and use velcro to close the edge
        Last edited by G42; 02-15-2018, 04:07 PM.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I would just use the cache as is. Put the computer in the cache and put the cache into the bag.
          When in trouble, obfuscate.

Comment

I agree. It doesn't take but 1 second to put the cache out, remove the computer and put the cache back in the briefcase.

If you particularly want the rails to go in a different direction, it shouldn't be too hard to sew a couple new ribbons to the outside of the cache.

If it's really bugging you, go on the bag swap thread and see if anyone wants to swap for the cache you really want.

Comment

FWIW...I find the rails provide limited benefit. If I have pre-check the computer stays in (although even then they sometimes they make me take all devices out). When I need to pull it out, 50/50 they don't go for the rail thing, or they want it in a bin and then that doesn't work too well. Great idea, but the ever changing and inconsistent TSA seems to defeat the implementation for me.

No plans to create separate rails for that reason. Also, I feel there's little benefit in the DLBC - I think the cache would sit on the bottom of the briefcase. I like the rails in the S25 because it holds the device above the bottom, although I could get the same with tabs rather than full length rails.

I've thought that a trade for the horizontal cache might be the best, but I have to say the vertical Cache is tight. It takes me two hands and about 10 seconds to remove it from the vertical cache. Maybe it's the new keyboard, which has a soft textured keyboard/cover. I thought that making it more like those paper sleeves (open on 2 sides) would make it a little more roomy to more easily pull out the surface pro (in a second as has been said). Sounds like no one has tried this modification.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

If your cache is too tight, it might be the wrong size for your laptop. My laptop slides in and out very easily, but then again, I also have the horizontal version, which has a wider opening than the vertical version.

Comment

I should call customer service because the size is "Surface with keyboard", exactly what I have. I was hoping it would loosen up, but hasn't. Even so it would still be in the wrong direction.

Comment

Originally posted by slbear View Post
                    I should call customer service because the size is "Surface with keyboard", exactly what I have. I was hoping it would loosen up, but hasn't. Even so it would still be in the wrong direction.

I have the surface with keyboard case also and agree, it is too tight. I can jam the Surface in but have to practically peel it out.
                    Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Comment

Originally posted by Traveltech View Post
                      I can jam the Surface in but have to practically peel it out.
                      Exactly! I think maybe the new keyboard introduced last year may have added too much friction to the equation.

In any case, Sounds like no one has modified their cache. I was hoping for a link to a thread I missed or couldn't find with search. I'll have to see if I can get the sewing help needed to do this well.

Comment

"I've thought that a trade for the horizontal cache might be the best, but I have to say the vertical Cache is tight. It takes me two hands and about 10 seconds to remove it from the vertical cache."

This subject has come up before: Cache is too tight, does it ease up over time? No, it doesn't. My advice, based on experience, is to order a cache a size larger than recommended.

Comment

Working...
                        X