Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,582   Posts: 188,361   Members: 6,552   Active Members: 301
Welcome to our newest member, MerryAlcal.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-Star Aether Packing Cubes in Western Flyer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-Star Aether Packing Cubes in Western Flyer?

Has anyone used two small Tri-Star aether packing cubes in one pocket of the Western Flyer? Do they fit well?

I know that the Eagle Creek cubes can work, but I'd prefer something that makes maximum use of every corner. I also have the large WF packing cube, (in mesh), but I have not found it particularly useful because it doesn't compress the clothes that much. (And the aether is a nicer material.)

I've taken my Aeronaut 30 for many longish trips over the past few years, and recently the Night Flight Travel Duffel, particularly for 1-3 day trips. But I'm coming back to the Western Flyer, because it's midway between the two in size, and yet offers three carry methods. Switching off between shoulder and backpack mode can really help.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

First, I totally agree that aether is nice, and I'm also frustrated that aether cubes are not available for the WF. Why are the WF people left out here?

Back to your question: I think the tri-star small would be too tall for the front half of the WF (12.8" x 7.4" x 2.4"). Something with a max height of 12" is better suited for the WF (otherwise, you will have to smoosh the top of the packing cube down to zip up the WF).

I've found that the PCSB (11.8" x 7.9" x 3.1") is a great substitute for the small WF cube (11.7" x 8.6" x 3") although the PCSB does not quite span the full width of the front half. You could use two PCSB side by side, without the middle zip divider, and then have a potentially more useful leftover space.

By the way, I use at least one large WF cube all the time and even have two. Not so much to compress stuff but to "shape" them to the WF dimensions. I use it to move things in and out of the WF all at once like a drawer and can live out of the WF easily that way. (I know other people use the EC folder that way too; I've just never warmed to the folder w/ velcro bundle vs. a zippered packing cube.)

Comment

I like the Eagle Creek Specter medium packing folder because it completely fills the back space of the WF and I can compress everything.

Comment

Thanks for the responses -- very helpful! I love to think creatively about this stuff, since it's even better to use what I already have, which includes compressible Eagle Creek cubes and the aforementioned large mesh WF cube. It occurred to me, reading the point @Fluff made, that I could put the Eagle Creek cubes inside the mesh and fit all the loose stuff or other items around them, so everything is contained and could be lifted out and set on a dresser. This wouldn't add too much weight, which is one of my concerns. I will experiment for my trip this weekend.

I do use the PCSB's too, but find that they are actually a bit heavy, particularly if I have too many at once.

As far as not having aether cubes made for the Western Flyer, I'm just accepting that, as with the Small Shop Bag, the smaller versions of many items don't seem to be as popular as the large ones, and it isn't feasible to make dedicated accessories for items that are sold in smaller numbers. I guess more people buy Tri-Stars than WF's. So I'm just grateful the WF is staying around for now, and that it is produced in a broad range of fabrics and colors!
        Last edited by bchaplin; 02-21-2018, 08:59 AM.
        ----
        All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
        Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
          I could put the Eagle Creek cubes inside the mesh and fit all the loose stuff or other items around them
          I have done this too. And instead of buying the clean/dirty EC cubes, I sometimes pack one or two of the basic EC cubes (empty). Then dirty clothes that require segregation get put into the EC cubes *within the TB cube* as needed. Everything takes up the same space.

This is one reason why I prefer the TB large cube over the EC folder--it's easier to put in other small pouches and cubes inside if I want. But everyone's process is different. And I happened to have EC basic cubes and the TB WF cubes already, and wanted to avoid buying additional items like the EC folder and clean/dirty cubes.

Comment

I use a Reisenthel laundry bag... it folds up to about the size of a deck of cards and has a simple drawstring closure. Depending on how you load your clothes in (jumbled or folded) you can make it flat or 3D and fit just about any space in any type of bag. I've tried lots of different methods, but keep coming back to this simple $5 bag.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/tra...uctId=11001347
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
              I like the Eagle Creek Specter medium packing folder because it completely fills the back space of the WF and I can compress everything.
              +1...I am able to fit at least 4 dress shirts, a polo or two, a couple t-shirts, and a pair pants in the Eagle Creek packing folder and it fits in the rear space of the WF with no issues.

Comment

Working...
              X