Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,582   Posts: 188,368   Members: 6,552   Active Members: 301
Welcome to our newest member, LucaDebenh.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop Tote vs Daylight Backpack for souvenirs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop Tote vs Daylight Backpack for souvenirs?

Hello everyone! I will be going to Japan later this year with my Osprey Farpoint 40 as my main bag. I plan on buying several souvenirs, but I don't think I'll have enough room to carry them throughout the day in my small cafe bag. I'm concerned that the pop tote might not carry well on one shoulder for an entire day. Does anyone have any experience with it as their day bag for travel? Or should I get the daylight backpack instead? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you plan to buy soft items, such as scarves or small stuffed animals, and you ask for paper gift wrap, the Daylight Backpack will be fine.

But, if you add pointy items, such as stationery, small plastic novelty items, etc... The Pop Tote is better.

I don't have a Pop Tote but its cousin the Swift, I can carry it all day long, on public transport, full of books, souvenirs are usually not that heavy, so you will be fine.

Comment

I'm not a backpack person, so I'm a bit biased. I live in Florida, and it's 85F today in freaking February. The last thing I want is something on my back when it's hot and humid.

I'm very nervous about carrying anything on my back in crowds. I want my bag on my front (cross body with my hand on it), or tucked under my arm and zipped shut (Pop Tote). I see a lot of people here wearing their backpacks on their front and clutching it like a baby. My thoughts are that they've been pickpocketed or they're sweating.

Comment

Originally posted by MelloK View Post
        Hello everyone! I will be going to Japan later this year with my Osprey Farpoint 40 as my main bag. I plan on buying several souvenirs, but I don't think I'll have enough room to carry them throughout the day in my small cafe bag. I'm concerned that the pop tote might not carry well on one shoulder for an entire day. Does anyone have any experience with it as their day bag for travel? Or should I get the daylight backpack instead? Thanks!

Agree re: pointy vs soft souvenirs.

Have you considered a zippered messenger style like the Co-Pilot or Packing Cube Shoulder Bag? You can hold them more securely in front of you than either a tote or a backpack. The PCSB will pack down to nothing when not in use or you could of course use it as a packing cube. Actually, a PCSB with a Large Shopping bag inside should take care of any souvenir or other shopping you'll be doing while there.

Comment

With Japan, you don't have to worry about pickpocketing or security. The only thing about a backpack is that it may be a nuisance to others in crowded spaces, if you're not careful how you move. I'd also agree on the pointy vs soft souvenirs. I'd also add that if you get giftboxes of anything, traditional Japanese sweets, Kitkats, tea etc, the size and shape means they'll fit better in a pop tote.
          A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Comment

Thanks to all who replied! I think I'll go with the pop tote!

Comment

I love my PT (have two of them actually), but Darcy also said that a zip version of a Shop Bag is coming probably sometime mid-May to mid-June, so that may also be an option (and may pack smaller) depending on when your trip is.
              I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                I love my PT (have two of them actually), but Darcy also said that a zip version of a Shop Bag is coming probably sometime mid-May to mid-June, so that may also be an option (and may pack smaller) depending on when your trip is.
                My trip is early August so I'll wait and keep an eye out for it. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X