Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,582   Posts: 188,361   Members: 6,552   Active Members: 301
Welcome to our newest member, MerryAlcal.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having trouble deciding on spiff kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble deciding on spiff kit

I just picked up an S25 and 36L dog duffle, both of which I love. I want to get the dog leash and a a spiff kit. The smaller one looks too small but the bigger one looks cumbersome especially with the nalgenes. I would end up throwing the spiff kit in my duffle as a carry on in most cases. I see the value in the nalgenes but is it more of a hassle than it's worth? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by jeremiah View Post
    ...I want to get the dog leash and a a spiff kit. The smaller one looks too small but the bigger one looks cumbersome especially with the nalgenes. I would end up throwing the spiff kit in my duffle as a carry on in most cases. I see the value in the nalgenes but is it more of a hassle than it's worth? Thanks.
    I use the clear 3DOC for my 311 bag with all the 'wet' items that TSA looks at. Generally I leave this packed and it lives in a cupboard with all the random supplies of toiletry items. If I'm going somewhere where I want to bring my own shampoo or whatever, I use a different size Nalgene bottle (they don't leak!) in that 3DOC.
    For other random toiletries that don't need to be TSA compliant, I use a small REI bag or a fabric TB 3DOC... this I tend to pack/change as needed.
    I am Global Entry/TSA pre-check but they can always randomly ask you to pull things out, so leaving the clear 3DOC compliant is efficient for me.

I like the idea of the Spiff kits and similar toiletry kits, but the two bag system actually works better for me.

Good luck with your choice!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

It depends on what you want to carry. I have the Small Spiff Kit and it is perfect for me. It fits nicely in any of the bags I travel with. I don't use make up so I carry a fairly small amount of stuff such as toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, soap, shampoo, Q-tips, drain plug, leaf detergent, and a few other misc items. I mostly travel by car so a 311 bag is not an issue.

I love the fact that I can hang the bag where ever needed and then it zips closed for travel. To me, the large is just too big. I do know that others carry the larger version and there are a few videos showing comparisons of the two sizes.
      Last edited by Amy G; 02-28-2018, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy G View Post
        It depends on what you want to carry. I have the Small Spiff Kit and it is perfect for me. It fits nicely in any of the bags I travel with. I don't use make up so I carry a fairly small amount of stuff such as toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, soap, shampoo, Q-tips, drain plug, leaf detergent, and a few other misc items. I mostly travel by car so a 311 bag is not an issue.

I love the fact that I can hang the bag where ever needed and then it zips closed for travel. To me, the large is just too big. I do know that others carry the larger version and there are a few videos showing comparisons of the two sizes.
        Interesting. I usually just carry toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, razor, small soaps and shampoo. Sounds like the small one would be fine. I was thinking the nalgenes could eliminate the need for small travel shampoos and stuff but the increase in size wouldn't be worth it.

Comment

Hi @jeremiah,

Welcome to the forums. Take a look at the pictures in the question about spiff kit deluxe thread.

I'll excerpt one of the pictures from that thread that compares the Standard Spiff Kit and the Spiff Kit Deluxe:

Click image for larger version

Name:	8b103d13421d732677cfea44fb951956.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	303617

I actually travel with less than the Standard (smaller) Spiff Kit for my toiletries, but I would say that you should do fine with the Standard Spiff Kit. The shelf of the (larger) Spiff Kit Deluxe will support small (3 oz) bottles of shampoo, but if I substituted small Lush samplers (typically for solid deodorants, body or face creams, and other products) and attach the velcro patches to those samplers instead of to the taller Nalgene cups, I can actually fold the shelf up with those samplers attached and with a small travel size toothbrush on the shelf.

(The Nalgene container on the right is holding vitamin tablets and capsules. The mesh pocket above the shelf is holding shampoo, soap, etc. and is the same size as the pockets on either side of the Standard (small) Spiff Kit.)

This is another picture with a standard size library book placed on the other side of the Deluxe Spiff Kit to give you a different idea of its size. (Yes, you could close the larger Spiff Kit and zip it up around that library book). The bottom shelf that is folded up has a set of 3 of the Lush samplers that are less than half the height of the Nalgene cups still attached to the shelf via the velcro circles on the bottom of each sampler, and also has a small travel tooth brush on that shelf.

Remember that you also have a similarly sized zippered pocket available to you on the other side of the Standard Spiff Kit. The Standard Spiff Kit is also nicely sized to fit into the side pockets of bags like the Pilot

As I said, I would use a 3D Organizer Cube (or smaller), or the Standard Size Spiff Kit in preference to the Deluxe Spiff Kit, but I don't carry around large amounts of makeup, etc., and maybe your shaving things take up more room? You can read through the text discussion of the linked thread. You might also like the shelf for hold a hair brush (that can be attached via the velcro circles to the shelf of the Deluxe Spiff Kit). In the bottom set of pictures, the Deluxe Spiff Kit is Wasabi, and the Standard Spiff Kit is Ultraviolet.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
            Hi @jeremiah,

Welcome to the forums. Take a look at the pictures in the question about spiff kit deluxe thread.

I'll excerpt one of the pictures from that thread that compares the Standard Spiff Kit and the Spiff Kit Deluxe:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20045[/ATTACH]

I actually travel with less than the Standard (smaller) Spiff Kit for my toiletries, but I would say that you should do fine with the Standard Spiff Kit. The shelf of the (larger) Spiff Kit Deluxe will support small (3 oz) bottles of shampoo, but if I substituted small Lush samplers (typically for solid deodorants, body or face creams, and other products) and attach the velcro patches to those samplers instead of to the taller Nalgene cups, I can actually fold the shelf up with those samplers attached and with a small travel size toothbrush on the shelf.

(The Nalgene container on the right is holding vitamin tablets and capsules. The mesh pocket above the shelf is holding shampoo, soap, etc. and is the same size as the pockets on either side of the Standard (small) Spiff Kit.)

This is another picture with a standard size library book placed on the other side of the Deluxe Spiff Kit to give you a different idea of its size. (Yes, you could close the larger Spiff Kit and zip it up around that library book). The bottom shelf that is folded up has a set of 3 of the Lush samplers that are less than half the height of the Nalgene cups still attached to the shelf via the velcro circles on the bottom of each sampler, and also has a small travel tooth brush on that shelf.

Remember that you also have a similarly sized zippered pocket available to you on the other side of the Standard Spiff Kit. The Standard Spiff Kit is also nicely sized to fit into the side pockets of bags like the Pilot

As I said, I would use a 3D Organizer Cube (or smaller), or the Standard Size Spiff Kit in preference to the Deluxe Spiff Kit, but I don't carry around large amounts of makeup, etc., and maybe your shaving things take up more room? You can read through the text discussion of the linked thread. You might also like the shelf for hold a hair brush (that can be attached via the velcro circles to the shelf of the Deluxe Spiff Kit). In the bottom set of pictures, the Deluxe Spiff Kit is Wasabi, and the Standard Spiff Kit is Ultraviolet.

HTH

moriond
            Thanks for the thorough explanation! It looks like the standard spiff kit will be perfect for me along with a clear cube organizer. I'm fairly light in my toiletry needs. If I could bring my double sided safety razor on trips I would and that would be the most complicated thing I carry. Nothing too fancy or complicated otherwise. Heck I don't even wear cologne.

Comment

Working...
            X