TS or WF for large running man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TS or WF for large running man

I travel, shall we say, excessively (120K miles/year) and have been looking to go to one bag. The bulk of my travel is 2-3 days, with some outlier overnights and 4-5+ day trips. I work in a casual environment so generally jeans and button down shirts (usually Charles Twytt non-iron). I've lightened my load on most fronts, switching to synthetic undergarments and reduced toiletries, but still wear L/XL clothing that's large.

This seems like an easy load out, even for the WF, but the wrinkle is that I exercise pretty much daily, so I'm incorporating 3-5 days of workout clothes, usually lightweight synthetic running shirts and shorts, and then some size 12D running shoes. If I'm training for a triathlon I might also toss in a pair of jammers and goggles but those don't take too much space.

I can pack all this fairly easy in my current Briggs and Riley rolling garment bag, which I pair with a messenger bag that contains a 13" laptop, tablet, chargers and cables that are fairly streamlined, a notbook, pens, business cards, and "wow that meeting went until 10PM" snacks.

So far this seems like a reasonable use case for the TS versus the WF, but the shoes give me a bit of pause. I really like the idea of one bag for everything but if it's absolutely not practical for my use I'd hate to end up with $400 of bag and cubes that I rarely use. I'm also not willing to wash my workout clothes in a sink at midnight, especially since they'll generally stink if I rewear them... I'm not talking about a whiff of malodorousness, but a knock-you-over stank, so I need a full load out of shorts/shirt/socks for each day.

Anyone travel with a similar load and carry only one bag? My other possible plan is something like an A30 and some sort of ultralight messenger/backpack loaded into the bag, but that seems a bit sub-optimal.

Final data point: I'm TSA precheck so not super-concerned about laptop quickdraw.

Originally posted by pgray007 View Post
    I'm also not willing to wash my workout clothes in a sink at midnight, especially since they'll generally stink if I rewear them... I'm not talking about a whiff of malodorousness, but a knock-you-over stank, so I need a full load out of shorts/shirt/socks for each day.
    OK, that's kind of a deal-killer for you and it's what's going to hold you back from packing lighter.

That said, my husband and I travel almost exclusively these days to go to races. I'm typically only running marathons, but my husband is an ultra runner so if we're flying somewhere he's running a 100K or 100-miler so he typically has to take quite a bit of gear. On top of that, he is on a run streak (running everyday without a non-run day).

So.

I'd like to convince you to change this.

#1: I think one of the reasons you have really stinky clothes is that you typically let them fester in your sweat. The bacteria just multiplies, and the clothes will smell like a kitty litter box. Seriously. The first thing you want to do when you get back to your hotel room is peel your clothes AND STICK IT IN YOUR BATHROOM SINK. The key to this is to NOT PUT IT OFF. They need to immediately hit clean water, before the clothes have a chance to start turning rancid.

#2: You should carry some detergent with you. Nathan Sport-Wash is a really good one. Just carry some in smaller bottles in your 3-1-1 kit. Here's a pretty straightforward article on what you can do to keep the smells down: How to Get the Smell Out of Workout Clothes

#3: Not all men feel comfortable with this, but consider trimming your arm pit hairs. If you're really brave, trim your private area as well. All the hairs create an optimal environment for stinky smells. If you can reduce your stink-generating level your clothes won't smell near so bad.

My husband is too lazy and doesn't put the clothes in the sink. He literally walks into the shower in his workout clothes, and washes it all while he's taking a shower. He then wrings them and hangs them in the shower, and they are ready for him to wear the next day.

If you can get your workout gear down to one or two sets, you're golden. It's a bit of a pain to have to deal with this on a daily basis, but it's more than worth it if you don't have to schlep a trunkload of workout wear.
    Last edited by Lani; 04-27-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lani View Post
      OK, that's kind of a deal-killer for you and it's what's going to hold you back from packing lighter.

My husband is too lazy and doesn't put the clothes in the sink. He literally walks into the shower in his workout clothes, and washes it all while he's taking a shower. He then wrings them and hangs them in the shower, and they are ready for him to wear the next day.
      Ha! I thought I was the only weirdo that tried this. I’ve done the “workout clothes into the shower” trick and it leaves the clothes smelling “ok” after they dry (yes I agree, they’ll literally smell like dead cat pee when they dry if not “washed”) but they’ll still stink about 10 minutes into a workout even when I do a quick sink wash with tide (those cool little packets).

A large part of the problem is that I can’t be bothered. I’m usually up at 5-6 to get in a 60-120 minute workout, and then work a 9-12 hour day so 15 minutes of goofing with washing clothes each day is 15 minutes less sleep of an already low-sleep schedule.

Maybe I should suck it up and try again, but after several solid efforts to do the “bring 1 or 2 sets of training clothes and wash” I feel like I’ve tried that.

However I didn’t think of the hair thing. As a 40+ yo gent I find I’m growing hair everywhere I don’t want it (ear hair??? What the heck Darwin?!!?!!) so that may be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a lot of stinky workout clothes as well. The trick is to rinse them normally and then dunk them in a sink or bucket with a capful of Mirazyme and let it air dry. When you wake up, the Mirazyme will have eaten all of the smells. Works fabulously, and a small bottle of Mirazyme will go a long, long way.

Comment

I don't carry workout clothes but I do overpack for week long trips with size 13 shoes and the TS is fine for them but I wonder about a WF?

I would sure prefer to have the space and not need it than to need the space and not have it!

You can get a TS and see how it packs before taking it outside too,this is just the only practical way to know for sure.

I also have an A45 and it will hold a whole lot more but is not organized in the same way but if using a Messenger as welkl this will not be an issue probably?

I have determined that for me it is just not desirable to 1 Bag at all and so I have given up trying and I am a lot happier now that I have admitted this and moved on!

YMMV clearly.
          Last edited by AVService; 04-30-2018, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Go for the TriStar, you won't regret it. My travel mirrors yours almost exactly with work trips between 1-5 days, but usually 2-3. I can roll a couple of t-shirts, shorts and socks into my running shoes and these fit into a small TriStar cube in the front right pocket. But I'm only a UK size 10 shoe. I can fully understand what @Lani is saying about doing the laundry to save extra changes of clothes, but I have to agree that there is no way that I am washing clothes in a hotel sink after a full day at the office. In any case, synthetic exercise wear is so light and folds or rolls up into almost nothing.

So overall, my shoes are smaller but I have to carry 'business casual' clothes for the office as well as the usual laptop, tablet, cables, 3-1-1 stuff, etc. Fits like a dream into my TriStar and I've done done 30+ flights a year both European and US without any problem for a good number of years now. Sure, sometimes I'd love to have the bag a little lighter and smaller (Western Flyer). But I know that I would be swapping between those two depending on the duration of the trip. Personally I can't justify having both bags.

Comment

Tristar... and Sport Wash. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
              X