Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,824   Posts: 191,290   Members: 6,721   Active Members: 266
Welcome to our newest member, willydgil.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Absolutely Lost - Recommendation Needed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Absolutely Lost - Recommendation Needed

    Happy Sunday!

    I have been reading this board for some time now, and the more I read the more lost I become.

    At first I was thinking of only getting a Brain Bag or Synapse 25, but am now considering the Aeronaut, TriStar, or Westen Flyer.

    Some background:

    I am a lawyer-to-be. I need a new backpack/travel bag.

    I am embarking on a 6 week trip at the end of July. I am considering trying to travel in one bag, but the more I look at the TriStar and Aeronaut the less realistic it becomes. I do not “rough it” when I travel, but am very much a minimalist. I value organization and access - that is why the Synapse and Brain Bag are such attractive options.

    However, while I am a ‘minimalist’ I enjoy clean clothes and it is requirement that I have ample underwear and socks. I also enjoy what many of you would term fashion, and I travel with more than a few shirts and a single pair of pants.

    On another note, I have considered also purchasing a Briggs and Riley or Tumi business backpack and/or roller bag for domestic business obligations.

    Which bag would you recommend between the four listed? Also, what add-ons would you recommend, from packing cubes, the back brace thing, cache, organizer, etc.

    Thanks for your assistance.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    #2
    I assume you'll be doing laundry on your trip, but how many outfits do you plan to pack? I just posted my Brain Bag outfitted for a weeklong trip, and counting the clothes on my back, I had enough clean clothing to go 5-6 days. That only took up one pocket of the bag (the other pocket held art supplies) so you can seriously fit more. However, it's summertime here and I'm not into fashion, so I packed lightweight casual clothing. Your load will be different, of course.

    https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...lor-stuff.html

    The entire 'packing list' sub-forum is pretty brilliant. You may can to do an advanced search to find folks who have posted threads similar to what you're looking for. Hope this helps & enjoy your trip.

    Edited to add... If you go with a pack, I highly recommend packing cubes because digging through a backpack to find various items is a lot harder than in a suitcase or duffle bag. Yeah, no fun and results in a lot of wrinkles. I learned this lesson on my trip, so those are going on my wish list.
    Last edited by Tonya; 06-10-2018, 10:35 AM.

    Comment


      #3
      My first TB travel bag was a Western Flyer, but over time I realized I'm more of a "gaping hole" type packer so I now prefer the Aeronaut (I have an A45) or duffle type bag (I've only used it for travel by car though). I had difficulty organizing my things flat enough for the WF compartments even with packing cubes. Think about how you like to pack and that may narrow down your list. I have a S25 too and that is a nice blend of organizational pockets and open space.

      I second the packing cubes recommendation. I recently used a NFTD (20L) for a four day trip via airplane using cubes and a very minimalist wardrobe.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by threeteez View Post
        My first TB travel bag was a Western Flyer, but over time I realized I'm more of a "gaping hole" type packer so I now prefer the Aeronaut (I have an A45) or duffle type bag (I've only used it for travel by car though). I had difficulty organizing my things flat enough for the WF compartments even with packing cubes. Think about how you like to pack and that may narrow down your list. I have a S25 too and that is a nice blend of organizational pockets and open space.

        I second the packing cubes recommendation. I recently used a NFTD (20L) for a four day trip via airplane using cubes and a very minimalist wardrobe.
        I think a Brain Bag or Synapse 25 is most versatile and useable day-to-day. I live in Miami and will work in a corporate law environment, and I’m not sure either the western or tri are formal enough for daily use. I am a gaping hole packet like you, but I will use cubes because I prefer organization and efficiency. I do not carry a backpack when I travel day to day, so maybe an Aeronaut and no backpack is better, although I like that a computer has an assigned space in the Brain Bag or synapse.

        While I like the idea of a single pack, I’m not sure it’s realistic. The Aeronaut looks like an ideal gym bag/travel duffel. I do value a separate compartment for shoes, that is why other bags like the Aer Travel pack or newer Nomatic bag is attractive.

        Maybe TB bags are not for me...


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Tonya View Post
          I assume you'll be doing laundry on your trip, but how many outfits do you plan to pack? I just posted my Brain Bag outfitted for a weeklong trip, and counting the clothes on my back, I had enough clean clothing to go 5-6 days. That only took up one pocket of the bag (the other pocket held art supplies) so you can seriously fit more. However, it's summertime here and I'm not into fashion, so I packed lightweight casual clothing. Your load will be different, of course.

          https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...lor-stuff.html

          The entire 'packing list' sub-forum is pretty brilliant. You may can to do an advanced search to find folks who have posted threads similar to what you're looking for. Hope this helps & enjoy your trip.

          Edited to add... If you go with a pack, I highly recommend packing cubes because digging through a backpack to find various items is a lot harder than in a suitcase or duffle bag. Yeah, no fun and results in a lot of wrinkles. I learned this lesson on my trip, so those are going on my wish list.
          If I do with the Synapse 25, would a 15 inch cache, Freudian slip, Aeronaut 30 cube (or backpack cube), snake charmer, 3D organizer, and laundry pack be too much? Is an internal frame necessary or even half useful? I will not be carrying a ton of weight - not more than 20 pounds.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment


            #6
            I think you already know you're not really a minimalist. (That's not a bad thing--you just need to embrace what style of travel you really prefer.) Keeping that in mind, go for the Aeronaut 45. The A30, Tri-Star, and Western Flyer will be too small for you.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by dchang0 View Post
              I think you already know you're not really a minimalist. Keeping that in mind, go for the Aeronaut 45. The A30, Tri-Star, and Western Flyer will be too small for you.
              Haha. Very true. What turns me off the the Aeronauts is there is no designated place for my computer/papers like there would be in a synapse.

              How do you manage to travel with technology in a 45?


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


                #8
                I just returned from my annual start of Summer tour where I fly from STL to Palm Beach,pickup a car and drive to Maine,work for a week or so there and fly or drive back to STL.

                So I am going by both methods and need to bring way more than I ever could carry but I can not carry on my tools anyway.

                I bring an A45 for the bulk of my clothes though and I plan to check it as baggage and can easily cram 9 sets of Golf Shirts and Underwear in Eagle Creek Packing things in the main compartment along with a think pair of Jeans and a Fleece Jacket!

                My Size 13 Clown Shoes go easily into a side pocket along with a mesh laundry bag and I can do that on both sides or whatever else in the other side pocket.
                It is hard to imagine just how much can be stuffed into an A45 in the end!
                I have and love my TriStar but it is just not in the size range of the A45 in the end,it is better for some things but space is not one of them.

                Then I carry my Pilot with 3 computers and an iPad Mini AND all of the stuff I think I will want in the plane,I am in Love with the Pilot!!!

                I also take along a BackPack as my Carry On with the rest of my electronics,snacks,reading,Toiletries and whatever I think I will need for the travel/Hotel part of the trip enough for 3 days if anything happens to my A45.
                I have learned that I really prefer a Back Pack that opens like a Clam Shell that I can easily get everything in and out of too and although I own 3 Brain Bags and a Synapse 25 neither of these designs is really right for this to me.
                I have carried a Goruck GR2 for a few years now as this pack but this trip switched to a 1st Tactical Tactix that I had bought deeply discounted and this was a HGE success!
                This is the first pack that truly offered not just enough organization but maybe a little too much and for me too much is exactly how much I prefer!
                This bag is also so much lighter weight than the Goruck it was hard to accept and the strap system also so much more comfy that it helped make the pack that much easier to carry,really.

                Then last but not least I have my trusty Pelican 1510 which is a maximum carry on size rugged transport case for the tools.
                It always gets checked and always gets riffled through by the TSA but as long as they close and latch it nothing should be able to get hurt inside there.

                So I get out of a cab with the handle up on the pelican,sling the A45 on there and wear the Pack and Pilot on my back and I am pretty good to go!

                If I need to I switch the Pilot with any number of larger Briefcase options that I have but the Pilot is as small as I can realistically get away with every time I have learned.

                I tried to One Bag for a long time and thought it was a good idea but I slowly realized that this is just not practical for me and I ALWAYS regret it once I am on the trip......ALWAYS!

                YMMV of course.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by AVService View Post
                  I just returned from my annual start of Summer tour where I fly from STL to Palm Beach,pickup a car and drive to Maine,work for a week or so there and fly or drive back to STL.

                  So I am going by both methods and need to bring way more than I ever could carry but I can not carry on my tools anyway.

                  I bring an A45 for the bulk of my clothes though and I plan to check it as baggage and can easily cram 9 sets of Golf Shirts and Underwear in Eagle Creek Packing things in the main compartment along with a think pair of Jeans and a Fleece Jacket!

                  My Size 13 Clown Shoes go easily into a side pocket along with a mesh laundry bag and I can do that on both sides or whatever else in the other side pocket.
                  It is hard to imagine just how much can be stuffed into an A45 in the end!
                  I have and love my TriStar but it is just not in the size range of the A45 in the end,it is better for some things but space is not one of them.

                  Then I carry my Pilot with 3 computers and an iPad Mini AND all of the stuff I think I will want in the plane,I am in Love with the Pilot!!!

                  I also take along a BackPack as my Carry On with the rest of my electronics,snacks,reading,Toiletries and whatever I think I will need for the travel/Hotel part of the trip enough for 3 days if anything happens to my A45.
                  I have learned that I really prefer a Back Pack that opens like a Clam Shell that I can easily get everything in and out of too and although I own 3 Brain Bags and a Synapse 25 neither of these designs is really right for this to me.
                  I have carried a Goruck GR2 for a few years now as this pack but this trip switched to a 1st Tactical Tactix that I had bought deeply discounted and this was a HGE success!
                  This is the first pack that truly offered not just enough organization but maybe a little too much and for me too much is exactly how much I prefer!
                  This bag is also so much lighter weight than the Goruck it was hard to accept and the strap system also so much more comfy that it helped make the pack that much easier to carry,really.

                  Then last but not least I have my trusty Pelican 1510 which is a maximum carry on size rugged transport case for the tools.
                  It always gets checked and always gets riffled through by the TSA but as long as they close and latch it nothing should be able to get hurt inside there.

                  So I get out of a cab with the handle up on the pelican,sling the A45 on there and wear the Pack and Pilot on my back and I am pretty good to go!

                  If I need to I switch the Pilot with any number of larger Briefcase options that I have but the Pilot is as small as I can realistically get away with every time I have learned.

                  I tried to One Bag for a long time and thought it was a good idea but I slowly realized that this is just not practical for me and I ALWAYS regret it once I am on the trip......ALWAYS!

                  YMMV of course.
                  Tons of good information. Thanks. I do prefer easier access to the main pack, which backpack that opens like a clamshell provides. Maybe a backpack like an Osprey Porter or Tortuga is a better combination with an Aeronaut. A fully loaded Synapse will cost nearly as much as an Osprey and Aeronaut together.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by zacharyabritton View Post

                    How do you manage to travel with technology in a 45?
                    You will think this answer is crazy. I don't travel with technology any more, at least not beyond a smartphone. And I work in tech!

                    I used to carry a 15in 5lb laptop decades ago, kept shaving weight down as laptops got lighter, went to a tablet when they came out, then dumped the tablet when large-screen smartphones came out.

                    If I absolutely must have a laptop, I first call in advance and ask for the destination to lend me a laptop or cubicle with a desktop. If they don't have one, then and only then will I bring a laptop (ultrabook). In that case, I put the ultrabook in a fully-enclosed neoprene sleeve and slip it in with the shirts inside a packing cube. The shirts act as extra cushion/protection. If I leave the big bag at the hotel, I put the neoprene sleeve with laptop inside a backpack packing cube. It is a bit lumpy since the backpack packing cube doesn't have a padded back, but a folded jacket can serve as padding.

                    But what I'd do is probably insane to you, so I recommend you simply get a Synapse 19 or 25 and put your technology in there. Two-bag travel is fine. A45 goes in the overhead bins, Synapse goes under the seat. Use compression straps on the A45 if it seems too roomy. You can always cinch a bag down but can't expand a smaller bag larger. If you buy a lot of souvenirs, you'll appreciate the extra room.

                    Remember also that a 6-week trip is quite a bit longer than my short 3 or 4-day business trips. I can stuff a Tri-Star full for a 4-day trip with a laptop in the middle section (still one-bag travel). That's why I'm certain a Tri-Star is too small for you.

                    Also, when carrying the A45 and Synapse, there are two strategies that work. If the A45 is not too heavy, wear the Synapse on your back and use an Absolute shoulder strap to sling the A45 cross body. The other method is to wear the A45 on your back and sling the Synapse off one shoulder, though this is not stable.
                    Last edited by dchang0; 06-10-2018, 02:02 PM.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by dchang0 View Post
                      You will think this answer is crazy. I don't travel with technology any more, at least not beyond a smartphone. And I work in tech!

                      I used to carry a 15in 5lb laptop decades ago, kept shaving weight down as laptops got lighter, went to a tablet when they came out, then dumped the tablet when large-screen smartphones came out.

                      If I absolutely must have a laptop, I first ask for the destination to lend me a laptop or cubicle with a desktop. If they don't have one, then and only then will I bring a laptop (ultrabook). In that case, I put the ultrabook in a fully-enclosed neoprene sleeve and slip it in with the shirts inside a packing cube. The shirts act as extra cushion/protection. If I leave the big bag at the hotel, I put the neoprene sleeve with laptop inside a backpack packing cube. It is a bit lumpy since the backpack packing cube doesn't have a padded back, but a folded jacket can serve as padding.

                      But what I'd do is probably insane to you, so I recommend you simply get a Synapse 19 and put your technology in there. Two-bag travel is fine. A45 goes in the overhead bins, S19 goes under the seat. Use compression straps on the A45 if it seems too roomy. You can always cinch a bag down but can't expand a smaller bag larger. If you buy a lot of souvenirs, you'll appreciate the extra room.

                      Remember also that a 6-week trip is quite a bit longer than my short 3 or 4-day business trips. I can stuff a Tri-Star full for a 4-day trip with a laptop in the middle section (still one-bag travel).

                      Most of my trips are between 10-14 days, and I usually bring a traditional suitcase and a work bag, although both of those need to be upgraded from Delsey bags which I find break down too easily, maybe to the Briggs and Riley set I mentioned, or Tumi/Rimowa.

                      This six week trip is an anomaly.
                      I should also mention that I have a fancier black pebbles leather duffel for formal travel.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by dchang0 View Post
                        You will think this answer is crazy. I don't travel with technology any more, at least not beyond a smartphone. And I work in tech!

                        I used to carry a 15in 5lb laptop decades ago, kept shaving weight down as laptops got lighter, went to a tablet when they came out, then dumped the tablet when large-screen smartphones came out.

                        If I absolutely must have a laptop, I first call in advance and ask for the destination to lend me a laptop or cubicle with a desktop. If they don't have one, then and only then will I bring a laptop (ultrabook). In that case, I put the ultrabook in a fully-enclosed neoprene sleeve and slip it in with the shirts inside a packing cube. The shirts act as extra cushion/protection. If I leave the big bag at the hotel, I put the neoprene sleeve with laptop inside a backpack packing cube. It is a bit lumpy since the backpack packing cube doesn't have a padded back, but a folded jacket can serve as padding.

                        But what I'd do is probably insane to you, so I recommend you simply get a Synapse 19 or 25 and put your technology in there. Two-bag travel is fine. A45 goes in the overhead bins, Synapse goes under the seat. Use compression straps on the A45 if it seems too roomy. You can always cinch a bag down but can't expand a smaller bag larger. If you buy a lot of souvenirs, you'll appreciate the extra room.

                        Remember also that a 6-week trip is quite a bit longer than my short 3 or 4-day business trips. I can stuff a Tri-Star full for a 4-day trip with a laptop in the middle section (still one-bag travel).

                        Also, when carrying the A45 and Synapse, there are two strategies that work. If the A45 is not too heavy, wear the Synapse on your back and use an Absolute shoulder strap to sling the A45 cross body. The other method is to wear the A45 on your back and sling the Synapse off one shoulder, though this is not stable.
                        And to expand a little on this post I am the opposite sadly.I wish that I might forgo carry computers but I can not so I carry an 11" Macbook Air, a 12" Macbook AND an 11" Dell Ultra and an iPad Mini usually at a minumum .

                        The beauty though as I said above already is that all of this goes easily into the Pilot along with a lot of other things so it is not a huge deal for me at all really like it might be if I dd not have them with me for sure!

                        Also the BackPack that I carried has several concealed spots easily accessed in it where all of these can fit and the entire Pilot can also just stow inside the main compartment again because of the clam shell opening!

                        There are many different ways to get this done with a little practice and imagination.

                        Also I have found the Briggs stuff to be very well made too,one of the only mainstream bags I will carry any more really.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by zacharyabritton View Post
                          If I do with the Synapse 25, would a 15 inch cache, Freudian slip, Aeronaut 30 cube (or backpack cube), snake charmer, 3D organizer, and laundry pack be too much? Is an internal frame necessary or even half useful? I will not be carrying a ton of weight - not more than 20 pounds.
                          I don't have a Synapse 25... yet! I plan to pull the plug on that purchase this week. Just looking at the items you mentioned, it might be a tight fit, especially with shoes and toiletries. From what I understand, the frame is considered a lifesaver so I'll be buying that also.

                          You mentioned in another reply, "How do you manage to travel with technology in a 45?" I have a separate laptop bag for when I use a handled bag like the 45. I'll put that into the bag and also move my Freudian slip from my backpack to the bag. It works great. Many of TB bags fit down into each other also. For example, the Daylight BP fits perfectly into the front pocket of the Brain Bag, etc.

                          This really long post may help. Of course, it may confuse you further.

                          https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...r-tb-bags.html

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I love Tumi bags for business/laptop briefcases but gave up on them long ago due to weight. When empty, a Tumi bag is surprisingly heavy. Still, I highly recommend them. They are built to last, and the warranty coverage is fantastic. I had mine tear open at a seam where the shoulder strap attached to the side (darn those super heavy 5lb laptops!!) and Tumi sewed it up like new. They obviously had to do quite a bit of work, taking apart the bag in such a way to replace the torn section.

                            It was all covered for free by their warranty (not sure if their warranty is as good as it was back then).
                            Last edited by dchang0; 06-10-2018, 02:44 PM.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by AVService View Post
                              And to expand a little on this post I am the opposite sadly.I wish that I might forgo carry computers but I can not so I carry an 11" Macbook Air, a 12" Macbook AND an 11" Dell Ultra and an iPad Mini usually at a minumum .
                              WOW!!! Or should I say, OWWW!!!

                              My back would never allow me to carry all that. For that, I'd either ship the computers ahead of me in advance (UPS in a Pelican case) or use one of those roller suitcases with padded dividers in them.

                              Good to know that they all fit in a Pilot. In a pinch, I have carried two 13in Macbooks (Air + Unibody) in neoprene sleeves in a 19L backpack or Large Cafe Bag with Absolute shoulder strap along with Tri-Star in backpack mode.
                              Last edited by dchang0; 06-10-2018, 02:45 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X