Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,504   Posts: 187,567   Members: 6,464   Active Members: 324
Welcome to our newest member, Findbooradley.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got my S19... disappointed in the accessory pocket space and fit, is the S25 bet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my S19... disappointed in the accessory pocket space and fit, is the S25 bet

After a very long week of waiting, my S19, frame, and padded hip belt arrived today. I opened the package, threw my personal item stuff in it (Bose QC 25 in case, 3ds in case, kindle, Amazon 8in tablet, earphones, accessory cords, wireless card reader, large RavPower battery pack, travel size sanitizing wipes, wisps, and make-up remover wipes, and travel blanket). I don't usually have all of this on every flight but I did on a recent international trip.

I put it on my back and I hit my first issue. The frame was comfortable, the weight was fine, but the bag ended right at my lower back. I usually like bags to end just past my lower back right above my butt. I'm a 5'5 female for reference.

My second issue was that I had a lot of smaller doodads and although they all fit in the three accessory pockets, it was a tight fit. I was also hoping to use the smaller pocket above the water bottle holder for my cell phone (Galaxy S8), travel wallet, and plane tickets, but my cell phone didn't fit in there at all.

So my question is, will the S25 solve these two problems I have with the S19? I know it's a bigger bag, but I've read posts with people saying it still fit under the seat as a personal item, even with the frame installed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi @nolegrl!

I'm sorry that the Synapse 19 is a tight fit for the items you want to carry inside.

The Synapse 25 is larger all around -- not just the main compartment, but the front compartments are all larger.

In terms of where the Synaspe 19 sits, I'm curious whether that can be addressed with an adjustment of the backpack straps?

I believe that the iPhone 6 is similar in size to the SM-G950U, and it is a tight fit in the pocket that sits over the water bottle pocket. That size phone fits better in the side pocket of the Synapse 19.

In the Synapse 25, the phone does fit in the pocket that sits over the water bottle pocket.

Having said that, the Synapse 25 is a noticeably larger pack. I believe that it fits a 5' 5" frame, but each of us have a different sense of what suits us.

The Synapse 19 is Original Halcyon / Iberian in these pictures, and the Synapse 25 is Mars Red / Coyote.

Happy to provide more pictures -- please don't hesitate to ask!
    Attached Files
    -m

Comment

Hi @nolegrl,

I started off with the S25 to use as my personal carry-on. My last trip, I did not have the internal frame yet, but I did have my work 15" MacBook Pro (pre-2016 model), my personal 13" MacBook Pro w/ Touch bar, my iPad Pro (10.5") - all of which I have caches for, Nintendo Switch, jacket, and an extra change of clothes in the main compartment. The other pockets were filled with other misc items in pouches and stuff sacks. I also had my snake charmer in the front bottom pocket. I sat in an aisle seat and the under seat storage was slightly smaller than the middle and window seats. I was really surprised that it fit just fine. I ended up buying the S19 to use as my EDC bag since the S25 was a tad too big for my needs and the Luminary was way too small. I work from home so I don't usually lug around my 15" laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post
        Hi @nolegrl!

I'm sorry that the Synapse 19 is a tight fit for the items you want to carry inside.

The Synapse 25 is larger all around -- not just the main compartment, but the front compartments are all larger.

In terms of where the Synaspe 19 sits, I'm curious whether that can be addressed with an adjustment of the backpack straps?

I believe that the iPhone 6 is similar in size to the SM-G950U, and it is a tight fit in the pocket that sits over the water bottle pocket. That size phone fits better in the side pocket of the Synapse 19.

In the Synapse 25, the phone does fit in the pocket that sits over the water bottle pocket.

Having said that, the Synapse 25 is a noticeably larger pack. I believe that it fits a 5' 5" frame, but each of us have a different sense of what suits us.

The Synapse 19 is Original Halcyon / Iberian in these pictures, and the Synapse 25 is Mars Red / Coyote.

Happy to provide more pictures -- please don't hesitate to ask!
        Thanks for the suggestions and pictures! I tried adjusting the straps, but to get the bag to end where I want it to, I have to have them very loose and the bag sits too low on my back. I think I'm just not used to the bag size. If it was an inch taller, it'd probably be a perfect fit to me.

As far as my phone goes, I could adjust my packing so that my phone and wallet are in a side pocket, but my other items don't really fit in that smaller pocket either, so that would go unused.

I think I'm going to return the S19 though, at $200, I shouldn't be trying to make compromises for the bag, it should be perfect out of the box.

I'm debating whether to order the S25 to try, I just hate to be that customer who returns everything I buy. My current track record is 1 keep, 2 returns (including this S19), and that's not a good record.

Comment

Do try the S25, nolegrl. While I suppose torso length plays a part in where a backpack hits, I'm a female with your same height and my older version S25 (original Nordic/Solar) hits me below the waist with the straps at their shortest. While it initially looked large to me while flat, I think it's fine and proportional on me. I use it (rotating through my favorite bags for variety) as an EDC for work with my Travel Cubelet, lunch in a Travel Tray, water bottle, T-shirt, sunglasses in a case and a mish-mash of papers/folders. I pretty much only wanted it for its color since I already had a SA, but the compartmentalization of the S25 is really nice for carrying multiple items.

Comment

Originally posted by threeteez View Post
            Do try the S25, nolegrl. While I suppose torso length plays a part in where a backpack hits, I'm a female with your same height and my older version S25 (original Nordic/Solar) hits me below the waist with the straps at their shortest. While it initially looked large to me while flat, I think it's fine and proportional on me. I use it (rotating through my favorite bags for variety) as an EDC for work with my Travel Cubelet, lunch in a Travel Tray, water bottle, T-shirt, sunglasses in a case and a mish-mash of papers/folders. I pretty much only wanted it for its color since I already had a SA, but the compartmentalization of the S25 is really nice for carrying multiple items.
            Thanks for the encouragement! I decided to order to S25 as a comparison before I return the S19. I'm kicking myself for not ordering them both at the same time, but I thought the S19 would be perfect. I figured if I like it, I may order some of the accessory pouches to help fit my stuff in the side compartments.

Comment

Originally posted by nolegrl View Post

I think I'm going to return the S19 though, at $200, I shouldn't be trying to make compromises for the bag, it should be perfect out of the box.

I'm debating whether to order the S25 to try, I just hate to be that customer who returns everything I buy.
              Everyone's perfect is different and no matter how good the descriptions, pics, and forum Q&As, nothing beats trying a bag on your body, with your stuff. Since TB is a boutique producer, that means either a trip to Seattle (with your stuff) or ordering & returning if necessary.

Whilst I doubt anyone wants people to abuse the return policy, it is part of their business model, so you should use it.
              It took me a couple times to get super comfy with it...but now I will order something (usually an accessory) that I *know* I want to keep and then the two bags I'm hemming & hawing over, test pack both and return the one that doesn't fit...

Let us know how the S25 goes. And you may find that neither work, and it is what it is.
              I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                Everyone's perfect is different and no matter how good the descriptions, pics, and forum Q&As, nothing beats trying a bag on your body, with your stuff. Since TB is a boutique producer, that means either a trip to Seattle (with your stuff) or ordering & returning if necessary.

Whilst I doubt anyone wants people to abuse the return policy, it is part of their business model, so you should use it.
                It took me a couple times to get super comfy with it...but now I will order something (usually an accessory) that I *know* I want to keep and then the two bags I'm hemming & hawing over, test pack both and return the one that doesn't fit...

Let us know how the S25 goes. And you may find that neither work, and it is what it is.
                Thank you! I'll be sure to report back. I love the idea and organization, I just hope it'll work like I had imagined it would.

Very true about it being a personal decision and about the business model. And Tom Bihn doesn't lose money on the returns since you pay shipping both ways and the bag is in resellable condition when they get it back.

The waiting for a week is what kills me about this process though. UPS shipping is so slow to Florida and it's pretty cost prohibitive to bump it up to a faster shipping speed.

Comment

I just ordered a S25 and tried it on this morning. For reference, I'm a 5'5" female (120 lbs or so) and it fits me like a glove. Love the fit EXCEPT for the shoulder straps which refuse to sit on my shoulders, so that may be a deal breaker. I'm debating whether to hold onto the S25 to see if the straps settle in and fit me better over time, but I'm not much of a risk taker so pretty sure it's going back. Hope this helps!

P.S. edited to add... I sort of long waisted and the bottom of the bag hits perfectly right at my lower back above my butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonya View Post
                    I just ordered a S25 and tried it on this morning. For reference, I'm a 5'5" female (120 lbs or so) and it fits me like a glove. Love the fit EXCEPT for the shoulder straps which refuse to sit on my shoulders, so that may be a deal breaker. I'm debating whether to hold onto the S25 to see if the straps settle in and fit me better over time, but I'm not much of a risk taker so pretty sure it's going back. Hope this helps!

P.S. edited to add... I sort of long waisted and the bottom of the bag hits perfectly right at my lower back above my butt.
                    Thanks so much! The s25 I ordered gets here on Friday (stupid holiday), so I'll try it out then. It sounds like it'll fit me the same as you, but I'm hoping I don't have that issue with the shoulder straps, but if I do, I'm in the same mindset as you. $200 is too much for a bag to not be essentially perfect out of the box and too much to hold out on a "breaking in" period.

Comment

Originally posted by nolegrl View Post
                      $200 is too much for a bag to not be essentially perfect out of the box and too much to hold out on a "breaking in" period.
                      Yep, this is exactly how I feel. Below is what the S25 looks like on my back. It's empty but it will give you an idea. I ordered the frame but I don't like how stiff the pack feels with the frame. It hugs my body so much better without it, but when the bag is packed, the frame might be better.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	S25 back.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	304100

So how the bag itself fits is perfect, but these dorky straps are horrible. They just float and barely touch my body at all, and though I'm thin, I'm rather broad shouldered. (Excuse my lack of loveliness. I've been working in the yard.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	S25 straps.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	304101

I'm packing it up to go back today but so sad about it. I've got a Daylight that I've had for years and absolutely adore it, but I currently need more room for an EDC. I hope the straps fit you better! From what I understand, not everyone has this issue.

Comment

So how the bag itself fits is perfect, but these dorky straps are horrible.
                        Did you try the sternum straps when the pack was loaded?

Everyone is different, but I find that the strap improves the fit of all the TB backpacks. I keep it relatively high up and it pulls the shoulder straps inboard, which not only makes the fit more comfortable and secure, it transfers some of the load to the front vs top of my shoulders. Also, the foam for the straps is pretty thick and IMO takes a while to break in.
                        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I did try the sternum straps and they help but don't completely solve the problem. Plus, I don't want to have to use sternum straps every time I use the bag. That's a bit of a hassle for an EDC and rumples clothing something fierce. I don't always want a crinkled t-shirt.

I do think the foam will fit better after a while but this is too expensive of a purchase for me to take that chance. And until they break in (IF they break in), I would have to endure some serious pain. I'm trying it on the rest of the day, but pretty sure it's going back on Thursday. Thanks for the tips though. I hope the S25 fits nolegrl much better!

Comment

I just wanted to say, be sure to put your normal load of gear into the bag before you decide whether the straps are weird on you.
                            I had a S25 which did exactly what you described when it was totally empty, but it fit me well when I loaded it up.
                            Just my 2 pence worth [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Comment

I did try the sternum straps and they help but don't completely solve the problem. Plus, I don't want to have to use sternum straps every time I use the bag. That's a bit of a hassle for an EDC and rumples clothing something fierce. I don't always want a crinkled t-shirt.

I do think the foam will fit better after a while but this is too expensive of a purchase for me to take that chance. And until they break in (IF they break in), I would have to endure some serious pain. I'm trying it on the rest of the day, but pretty sure it's going back on Thursday. Thanks for the tips though. I hope the S25 fits nolegrl much better!
                              Totally understand, life is too short for a pack that you aren't comfortable with.
                              Just a note about the strap break-in...your photo on the other thread shows that your BB has creases in the foam, showing it's broken in, whilst obviously the S25 has not.
                              As a couple folks have mentioned though, the strap angle/placement/spacing has evolved over the years - so the packs are not all the same that way and will fit differently.
                              Sounds like you need to keep looking...

Comment

Working...
                              X