Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,503   Posts: 187,566   Members: 6,463   Active Members: 327
Welcome to our newest member, chrisjonty.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got my S19... disappointed in the accessory pocket space and fit, is the S25 bet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slaynie
    replied
    I have the S19 and S25, and I find the S25 to sit more comfortably on my back. It naturally seems to hit my butt and for me that feels better than the S19 ending up higher. The only way I can make the S19 fit that way, is to extend the straps a lot, which seems to cause other issues. I still love both bags, but if I'm carrying a lot of stuff the S25 is much more comfortable for me.

I'm 5'6" and have the S25 with the frame, and the S19 without the frame.

Leave a comment:

• Tonya
    replied
    Oh by the way ThomGault, hello from just north of you! I'm in the mountains close to Boone.

Leave a comment:

• Tonya
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomGault View Post
    As a follow-up diagnosis, do you have sloped shoulders? If so, that could make a huge difference in fit/comfort.
    That's interesting that you brought that up because when nolegrl posted her photos, I immediately noticed that her shoulders appear more narrow and sloped than mine. My shoulders are actually very straight. You can see my photos in this thread in comment #11 here.

Leave a comment:

• ThomGault
    replied
    Originally posted by Tonya View Post
    This is also what I noticed about the S25 compared to my BB. The BB's straps sound like the Aeronaut. I must say that the Synapse straps look better on you than me! They floated on my shoulders except for a sliver of an edge that acted like a dull knife.
    As a follow-up diagnosis, do you have sloped shoulders? If so, that could make a huge difference in fit/comfort.

Leave a comment:

• nolegrl
    replied
    This is also what I noticed about the S25 compared to my BB. The BB's straps sound like the Aeronaut. I must say that the Synapse straps look better on you than me! They floated on my shoulders except for a sliver of an edge that acted like a dull knife.

I may try the S25 again whenever TB comes out with a color that I like. I just couldn't get around the Island interior AND the strap issue. I only need one challenge to overcome at a time! Thanks for your photos!
    No problem! I'm not sure what could be causing the floating thing, but I wish we could ask them to custom sew the straps on like they are on the Aeronaut (and I'm assuming the BB), that seems it would alleviate most of the issues we seem to be having.

If I lived closer to the store, I would walk in and show them the difference and see if there is anything they can do or at least it would point out a problem some have with the bag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Tonya
    replied
    Originally posted by nolegrl View Post
    After going back and forth on trying to figure out why, I realized that it is how the straps are set. (I know this has been brought up many times before), but the Aeronaut straps are set at an angle and are curved down and the Synapse straps are set straight and go straight down.

I may try the S25 again whenever TB comes out with a color that I like. I just couldn't get around the Island interior AND the strap issue. I only need one challenge to overcome at a time! Thanks for your photos!

Leave a comment:

• nolegrl
    replied
    Ok...it has arrived! It fit everything great, including my phone in the small pocket, the length is perfect, and it's comfortable to wear...however, I compared it to my aeronaut 45 just for kicks and that was actually a more comfortable backpack.

After going back and forth on trying to figure out why, I realized that it is how the straps are set. (I know this has been brought up many times before), but the Aeronaut straps are set at an angle and are curved down and the Synapse straps are set straight and go straight down. This means that the Synapse doesn't hug your shoulders/neck as well and that you're constantly readjusting the straps to be closer to you. The sternum clip helps a bit, but it's still not like the Aeronaut fit.

First photo is the Aeronaut and the 2nd is the Synapse. It's a slight difference in the picture, but it makes a pretty big difference in comfort.

It's a pretty good bag otherwise. I love how slim it is and the padded hip belt and frame make it feel very comfortable with weight distribution.

I'm definitely returning the synapse 19, but I'm going to play around with the 25 more to see if it's worth keeping.

Last edited by nolegrl; 07-06-2018, 03:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tonya
    replied
    Thanks so much! The s25 I ordered gets here on Friday (stupid holiday), so I'll try it out then.
    When you get it, let us know how it works for you. If it fits you well, I may try the S25 again at some point after the colors calm down.
    Last edited by Tonya; 07-05-2018, 07:41 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    I did try the sternum straps and they help but don't completely solve the problem. Plus, I don't want to have to use sternum straps every time I use the bag. That's a bit of a hassle for an EDC and rumples clothing something fierce. I don't always want a crinkled t-shirt.

I do think the foam will fit better after a while but this is too expensive of a purchase for me to take that chance. And until they break in (IF they break in), I would have to endure some serious pain. I'm trying it on the rest of the day, but pretty sure it's going back on Thursday. Thanks for the tips though. I hope the S25 fits nolegrl much better!
    Totally understand, life is too short for a pack that you aren't comfortable with.
    Just a note about the strap break-in...your photo on the other thread shows that your BB has creases in the foam, showing it's broken in, whilst obviously the S25 has not.
    As a couple folks have mentioned though, the strap angle/placement/spacing has evolved over the years - so the packs are not all the same that way and will fit differently.
    Sounds like you need to keep looking...

Leave a comment:

• gqb
    replied
    I just wanted to say, be sure to put your normal load of gear into the bag before you decide whether the straps are weird on you.
    I had a S25 which did exactly what you described when it was totally empty, but it fit me well when I loaded it up.
    Just my 2 pence worth [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Tonya
    replied
    I did try the sternum straps and they help but don't completely solve the problem. Plus, I don't want to have to use sternum straps every time I use the bag. That's a bit of a hassle for an EDC and rumples clothing something fierce. I don't always want a crinkled t-shirt.

I do think the foam will fit better after a while but this is too expensive of a purchase for me to take that chance. And until they break in (IF they break in), I would have to endure some serious pain. I'm trying it on the rest of the day, but pretty sure it's going back on Thursday. Thanks for the tips though. I hope the S25 fits nolegrl much better!

Leave a comment:

• G42
    replied
    So how the bag itself fits is perfect, but these dorky straps are horrible.
    Did you try the sternum straps when the pack was loaded?

Everyone is different, but I find that the strap improves the fit of all the TB backpacks. I keep it relatively high up and it pulls the shoulder straps inboard, which not only makes the fit more comfortable and secure, it transfers some of the load to the front vs top of my shoulders. Also, the foam for the straps is pretty thick and IMO takes a while to break in.

Leave a comment:

• Tonya
    replied
    $200 is too much for a bag to not be essentially perfect out of the box and too much to hold out on a "breaking in" period.
    Yep, this is exactly how I feel. Below is what the S25 looks like on my back. It's empty but it will give you an idea. I ordered the frame but I don't like how stiff the pack feels with the frame. It hugs my body so much better without it, but when the bag is packed, the frame might be better.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	S25 back.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	304100

So how the bag itself fits is perfect, but these dorky straps are horrible. They just float and barely touch my body at all, and though I'm thin, I'm rather broad shouldered. (Excuse my lack of loveliness. I've been working in the yard.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	S25 straps.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	304101

I'm packing it up to go back today but so sad about it. I've got a Daylight that I've had for years and absolutely adore it, but I currently need more room for an EDC. I hope the straps fit you better! From what I understand, not everyone has this issue.

Leave a comment:

• nolegrl
    replied
    I just ordered a S25 and tried it on this morning. For reference, I'm a 5'5" female (120 lbs or so) and it fits me like a glove. Love the fit EXCEPT for the shoulder straps which refuse to sit on my shoulders, so that may be a deal breaker. I'm debating whether to hold onto the S25 to see if the straps settle in and fit me better over time, but I'm not much of a risk taker so pretty sure it's going back. Hope this helps!

P.S. edited to add... I sort of long waisted and the bottom of the bag hits perfectly right at my lower back above my butt.
    Thanks so much! The s25 I ordered gets here on Friday (stupid holiday), so I'll try it out then. It sounds like it'll fit me the same as you, but I'm hoping I don't have that issue with the shoulder straps, but if I do, I'm in the same mindset as you. $200 is too much for a bag to not be essentially perfect out of the box and too much to hold out on a "breaking in" period.

Leave a comment:

• Tonya
    replied
    I just ordered a S25 and tried it on this morning. For reference, I'm a 5'5" female (120 lbs or so) and it fits me like a glove. Love the fit EXCEPT for the shoulder straps which refuse to sit on my shoulders, so that may be a deal breaker. I'm debating whether to hold onto the S25 to see if the straps settle in and fit me better over time, but I'm not much of a risk taker so pretty sure it's going back. Hope this helps!

P.S. edited to add... I sort of long waisted and the bottom of the bag hits perfectly right at my lower back above my butt.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X