Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,495   Posts: 187,471   Members: 6,456   Active Members: 328
Welcome to our newest member, Hungry.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini COP or Pocket Pouch for train/subway tickets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini COP or Pocket Pouch for train/subway tickets?

I'm staying with a friend who provided me with a little stack of train and subway tickets for getting into and around NYC (so nice!). He mentioned that he'll put them in an envelope for the next houseguests (I was the first to get them), and I immediately realized that a TB pouch (or two) would make a great thank you gift.

I initially planned on a Mini Clear Organizer Pouch, but then I remembered the Pocket Pouch. I have one but don't have much experience with it. Would the tickets be secure enough, or would the zipper be safer? And if it makes a difference, keep in mind that the users are not that likely to have o-rings in all their bags like most of us do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote for zippers.

Comment

What a nice gesture and thank you present! If you're leaving tiny TB accessories in your wake, feel free to come visit me any time

I would normally also recommend a pouch with a zipper, however...

You say this is for NYC: do the tickets include the yellow MetroCards with the mag strip you have to swipe at turnstiles? If so, I think that taking them in and out of the zippered pouch is going to be a pain, and I would go with the PP. I think that they'll be secure enough in the PP. (When I first moved there for school--granted, ages ago as they were still phasing out tokens LOL--I had a wallet with an external slip pocket that I used for my MTA card for ease and speed of access.)

I don't know enough about the LIRR or other regional commuter rail in NYC to say if the same applies to them, if he has tickets for those systems as well. Those may be better in a COP, especially if they are the kind of commuter rail passes you just need to show to the conductor.

ETA: I don't have a MetroCard in my possession at the moment to test with, but I do have my venerable mini NYC subway map which is the same size/material. I put it in my PP, turn it upside down and shook it hard--the card did not fall out.
      Last edited by kathryn; 08-01-2018, 06:16 AM.
      "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Comment

What a thoughtful thing to do

Agree with @kathryn... if they fit into the PP, go for it
        I also think the PP fits easier into someones back pocket than a mini OP for folks who carry stuff that way

Other option could be a COW, if your host had any other small things like map or printed directions or something... still small and the divider can separate items - and has the zipper for security
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Thanks, all!

Here's a picture of one of the train tickets and a MetroCard, on top of a Clear Organizer Wallet. They're the same size, and the train tickets are the kind you hand to the conductor. At most the pouch would be holding 10 train tickets and 2 MetroCards.

I think I might add two mini OPs to my zip shop bag pre-order and then also give one of the Pocket pouches from my stash (I have two, which is too many of something I don't regularly use). There's always alternate use for a little pouch!

Comment

This is such a wonderful idea. I concur with most of what kathryn said, but let me provide the counterpoint that I put a MetroCard in a pocket-pouch with 5-10 other cards that were already there, and I was able to shake it all out almost without effort. (I'll try and make a little vid later.) I think a pocket pouch is a great gift -- and of course, the likelihood is that the person using it would have it in either a pocket or purse, and hence the concern about contents falling out is no different than any other open-pocketed wallet.

I actually just switched from a card-case wallet and separate money-clip to trying out a COW, because I wanted to reduce the thickness in my pocket (I'm a guy and I carry that stuff in a front pocket). I'm finding it much flatter (albeit also bigger in two dimensions), and as kathryn noted, the main new inconvenience - albeit a minor one - is that I need to unzip the COW to get my MetroCard out rather than sliding it out with a thumb and swiping it (which, with the card case, I could do with one hand). I'm sticking with it, at least for now. (But I'd love a COW with one of those front-pocket clear ID pockets.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	wallet contents.png
Views:	1
Size:	701.2 KB
ID:	304184

Name:	eEzeOoKiP5WuZwx0DhFC5kmevjMgyhKrN8GPNrRvaa4RDSDPPewCWp_FoGOqoRzEonoJc56GjMgNP_FHByn54djeC5VYUx6B.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	304183

Name:	wGEsV7JOuVTtIEVHU1ZaOEPxnk2VfSJ6mXNIAdqZ1ZWXcQfb0wuyNJzL9oXMhFnvNRIAe13PFLLSzxSRWMdVd8jRoXkg2ZTj.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	304182

Comment

I go for the Mini Clear OP, because you have many kind of passes/tickets, it would be too easy for one of them to slip out of the PP, when you are reaching for another.

For places which use scanning card, a Luggage Tag is the best if the scan card is used system wide. I am thinking of the Orca (Seatle), Smart Card (D.C area), Clipper (San Francisco Bay Area).

I know there are many other major metropolitan areas that use that system.
              Last edited by backpack; 08-01-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

IN the DC metro, you don't have to remove the card from your wallet, unless it's an RFID lined one. Is NYC different?

Comment

Originally posted by Crinoidea View Post
                  IN the DC metro, you don't have to remove the card from your wallet, unless it's an RFID lined one. Is NYC different?
                  Yes. You need to swipe the card to enter the turnstile or board the bus (so, once per trip).

Comment

Interesting. DC was a swipe too, but it didn't actually need contact with the card itself - just close proximity.

Comment

Hmm.... Especially since it will be visitors using the passes, I think the security of the zipper outweighs the extra time it will take to get things out. And I think the OPs are more versatile for other things so the Bihnvangelizing may be even more successful with them.

Thank you!!

Comment

What a wonderful idea and gesture, @teresapoet.

As someone who carries a Metrocard and train tix regularly and knows all too well just how much money they represent, I opt for zippers. But that's also because I combine it in a COW with my wallet contents.

If I were carrying ONLY the tickets in said pouch, I'd opt instead for the PP since it's so much less bulky. But I'm also familiar with and used to the cards/tix already. For people who are unfamiliar or new to the process -- and therefore might have some anxiety about them (how do I use it? what if I lose it? will I be stranded?) -- I, too, would opt for slightly bulkier but more secure zippers, if only for the user's peace of mind.

Originally posted by cazique View Post
                        I actually just switched from a card-case wallet and separate money-clip to trying out a COW, because I wanted to reduce the thickness in my pocket (I'm a guy and I carry that stuff in a front pocket). I'm finding it much flatter (albeit also bigger in two dimensions), and as kathryn noted, the main new inconvenience - albeit a minor one - is that I need to unzip the COW to get my MetroCard out rather than sliding it out with a thumb and swiping it (which, with the card case, I could do with one hand). I'm sticking with it, at least for now. (But I'd love a COW with one of those front-pocket clear ID pockets.)
                        Your wallet contents look just like mine, @cazique. I can attest from experience that with practice and the COW zipper loosening up a bit, removing a Metrocard from a zipped COW becomes super easy to do with one hand. Just takes a short time to get the wheels greased. While I'm walking toward the turnstile or bus, I unzip the wallet while it's inside my front pocket and rotate the Metrocard 45-90 degrees (found unseen by feel) so it's easy/obvious to grab right when I need it. Slide it right back in and zip it up with one hand again once complete.

Comment

@teresapoet and others,

I use both of the solutions mentioned above, but probably more generally would go for the Clear Organizer Wallet solution. The NYC Metrocards do have to be swiped. (I also sometimes had more than one card when traveling with someone else -- different amounts left on these from multiple usages -- and you could separately place the card with just a small amount left behind another of the COW dividers).

With the Pocket Pouches, it can still be very convenient to use, but it depends on what else you're carrying in it, how securely you think it is to use. I have a Pocket Pouch clipped in my Side Kick (where there is also a COW clipped in), and in that situation it's super easy to use the PP instead of the COW. But, in general, the COW, with the zipper and the clear front, might work better.

I also wanted to mention another, similarly sized solution, that can work well for other types of transit cards: the luggage tag. Here's @bchaplin's picture from the Business cards and Tom Bihn luggage tags thread:
                          https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...gage-tags.html

This is good for cards that work on proximity and, you could actually use the strap portion wristlet fashion. There are various other reference discussions in the thread and its links about how we checked that the luggage tags would work with differently sized international business cards (some larger than the standard U.S. ones) before they released it, and that it could also work to carry things like hotel key cards (if you went to the pool or gym, and wanted a minimalist carry-along). There's also even a link-back (through my discussion and links of the Starbucks leaf cards) to an original suggestion by @miking about how you could use the Starbucks cards to handle your extra currency/change from different countries by using it to charge up your card in whatever remnant currency you have at their airport locations (doesn't work in systems where they have separate cards -- like Japan, but is OK in the U.S., Canada, and Europe Starbucks locations) that was the basis for my showing their Leaf cards in PPs, Mini Pouches and Luggage Tags as pretty travel gifts. YMMV.

HTH

moriond

Comment

I just placed my order for two Mini Clear Organizer Pouches for my hosts (Orange 152 and French Blue), and couldn't resist getting one for me too (Azalea). Now I just need to wait for the pre-order they've been added to (Small Zip-Top Shop Bag in Northwest Sky, Large Zip-Top Shop Bag in Black).

Comment

Working...
                            X