Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,891   Posts: 192,256   Members: 6,768   Active Members: 333
Welcome to our newest member, TStorm.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OP for Dr Bronner Bar Soap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Izzy
    replied
    What about a dry washcloth, but hold it shut with a big fat broccoli rubber band? That way you have a multi-use "case."

Leave a comment:

• Marsha
    replied
    Absolutely love the Matador products, both the flat pack and bottles. I’ve been using them for several months and I highly recommend them.

Leave a comment:

• Izzy
    replied
    I've always used a ziplock sandwich bag for that.

I guess that's awful for the environment, though, even if I use it long-term.

Hm. They sell those waxed cotton sandwich wraps at Trader Joe's now...

Leave a comment:

• Frank II
    replied
    I've been using the Matador soap flatpack for about three months. I like it. Takes up less space than a travel soap case. I've had no problem with leakage. Every now and then I give it a good washing to get rid of any soap residue and let it air dry.

If the outside gets wet, after sealing, just wipe it down with a towel.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• organicfarmer
    replied
    I bought the Matador flatpack soap bag after the recommendation on here and then watching the videos. Received it yesterday after being gone on a road trip.

First impression. The material is thinner and more flexible than I expected, though looks durable. The material is thinner than TB 200d halcyon and maybe near aether (no personal experience on that material beyond seeing pictures and comments) The material lets some light through (35%?, hold it up to a outside window with indirect sunlight and you can distinguish straight lines of the window's borders). The snap on the closure seems large for the objective and antagonistic to the design for flat pak minimalist design. It is cordura material as listed in description and constructed with the "welding" instead of stitching. 9/10 received as expected and think it will work well.

Because free shipping at that site is over $20, I added one of their flatpack toiletry bottles to the order and their Welcome10 discount.. Innovative design. Was easier to fill than I expected. It fits sideways in TB 3DOC-clear. I am guessing it could fit 6 or 7 of these bottles in the 3-1-1 bag 3DCOC totaling 18-21oz of product. The best I could do with other bottles I purchased was 12oz of product max. Again, with their design, they made a slim, minimal design and then added an over sized snapping strap to hang it in a hook that is heavier than the bottle portion. Hopefully a 2.0 version printed the 3oz capacity like they have the logo embossed on the item and leave the strap optional IMO.

Leave a comment:

• kathryn
    replied
    Originally posted by kieri View Post
    I would recommend something like this instead:

matadorup.com/products/flatpak-soap-bar-case?variant=12135840874609
    Ok... that looks perfect for my Lush bar shampoo, and I love the other Matador things I have. I just wish that I'd seen your post earlier, because now I don't think this will arrive before I leave on my next trip.

ETA: buying it anyway, and found that flat brush @xnykid posted, too. Oh, how this forum enables!
    Last edited by kathryn; 08-31-2018, 07:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• babblinbeanz
    replied
    Those matador bags are great. I got one for my soap and it’s great. A little dry bag for your soap.

Leave a comment:

• xnykid
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank II View Post
    I haven't seen one of those in years. Where can I get one?

Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• fredlet
    replied
    I found kits at Daiso that have tiny soap dishes in them. Perfect for the travel JR Liggets soaps.

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Leave a comment:

• Frank II
    replied
    Originally posted by xnykid View Post
    I will probably give that flatpack case a try. I keep a flat plastic hair brush in my toilet kit, 3D mesh, I rarely use it in my hair but every day to dry my soap.

I haven't seen one of those in years. Where can I get one?

Leave a comment:

• pvn
    replied
    Originally posted by organicfarmer View Post
    Ziplock bag - I think it is cheap solution that can work. I worry about soap scum build-up and washing is an short term option. It will break at some point and murphy's law says it will happen at worst time. The other issue is I haven't bought or have plastic bags for a couple years as I use glass or stainless containers.
    FWIW, it's definitely going to break at some point. But, I always have three or four extra baggies in my bag. They're just super handy in a huge number of situations.

Leave a comment:

• xnykid
    replied
    I will probably give that flatpack case a try. I keep a flat plastic hair brush in my toilet kit, 3D mesh, I rarely use it in my hair but every day to dry my soap.

Leave a comment:

• organicfarmer
    replied
    Originally posted by kieri View Post
    I would recommend something like this instead:

matadorup.com/products/flatpak-soap-bar-case?variant=12135840874609
    The flatpak soap bar case is just what I was looking for- simple, water resistant, appears durable, slightly overbuilt. I am going to buy one to try out. I will report back if I remember.

Beeswax wrap. I have not ever had the product, I will have to check the grocery co-op store the next time I go. I have used the Dr Bronner original packaging successfully now for 4-5 times. It is defiantly breaking down, but achieves the objective for now.

Ziplock bag - I think it is cheap solution that can work. I worry about soap scum build-up and washing is an short term option. It will break at some point and murphy's law says it will happen at worst time. The other issue is I haven't bought or have plastic bags for a couple years as I use glass or stainless containers.

Waterproof vs breathable for soap. The flatpak, cotton drawstring, and JR Liggetts pouches are Cordura, cotton, or appear Cordura like fabric. My S25 is cordura fabric and it will get wet, water will drip off, but the contents stay dry. The material must allow air through micro holes that are smaller than a bead of water to flow through

Leave a comment:

• pvn
    replied
    Originally posted by xnykid View Post
    Traps in h2o results in mushy soap
    anything that doesn't let water out (which seems like a necessary condtion) is by definition trapping it in.

Leave a comment:

• twosandalz
    replied
    Sometimes hubs uses a plastic bag. He dries the bar first, like you would with an OP, and pops it into a zip lock or fold-top sandwich bag. I think he leaves it open while we're at our destination and only closes it in-transit. It works better than I expected.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X