Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,532   Posts: 187,847   Members: 6,495   Active Members: 285
Welcome to our newest member, coorysmith.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best bag for carrying a few items on board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best bag for carrying a few items on board?

Hi there! Thanks for helping a newbie out. I've used some wonderful bags on my travels, but never a Tom Bihn before. I hope that changes soon! What I'm looking for is quite specific: instead of having to unzip my backpack and fumble a bunch of items out before I can shove it in the overhead bin and take my seat, I would love to just have a simple little bag that can carry a few on-board essentials in it:
    Once we're back on the ground, the bag just disappears into my carry-on again. What do you think would work best for me? I was looking at the small and medium Cafe Bags (Halcyon for extra lightness), although I am open to any other suggestions too!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Depending on the size of the headphone case, maybe a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag? I like that it zips so nothing will fall out if you stash it under the seat. Although it sounds like it may fit in the seat back pocket with your items. Medium Cafe Bag might be most practical if you are going to use it at your destination for a day bag? If not the PCSB might be all you need.

Comment

This is exactly what I use the packing cube shoulder bag for. I have two but use the brighter colored one for my in-flight items. Fits in the seat back pocket and doesn’t get missed when leaving the plane.
      Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Comment

A small zip topped shop bag or a Pop Tote would also work.

Comment

I've used my PCSB like this as well. Your water bottle will need to be quite short to fit inside and still zip it.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions! The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag looks perfect actually. I like that you can detach the shoulder strap, too.
            Unfortunately, they are currently unavailable

Comment

Originally posted by Opakapaka View Post
              Thanks for your suggestions! The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag looks perfect actually. I like that you can detach the shoulder strap, too.
              Unfortunately, they are currently unavailable
              They're doing a minor update on the PCSB (more o-rings, etc)...should be coming up as (I believe) a pre-order in the next 6 weeks or so... i think the '2-12 week' window started late November...
              They will supposedly be offering it in some of the 210 ballistic fabrics (which many of us are looking forward to), not just the halcyons...
              HTH
              I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I enquired recently and was told pcsbs should be out mid-february.

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                  They will supposedly be offering it in some of the 210 ballistic fabrics (which many of us are looking forward to), not just the halcyons...
                  HTH
                  It does help, thanks!
                  Why would 210 ballistic be more desirable than Halcyon? I always thought Halcyon was the newer, more lightweight material, but then again I'm something of a TB newbie so....

Comment

Originally posted by Riverdaughter View Post
                    I enquired recently and was told pcsbs should be out mid-february.
                    Thanks! That's too late for my next trip ...but of course, there will always be another.

Comment

It does help, thanks!
                      Why would 210 ballistic be more desirable than Halcyon? I always thought Halcyon was the newer, more lightweight material, but then again I'm something of a TB newbie so....
                      The 210 colors! For me that would be Dawn, which goes well with my two main wardrobe staples of black and navy, and makes the PCSB a quite versatile shoulder bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
                        The 210 colors! For me that would be Dawn, which goes well with my two main wardrobe staples of black and navy, and makes the PCSB a quite versatile shoulder bag.
                        That is a lovely colour - almost like periwinkle?
                        I tend to like shades of blue like that, although I think anything blue or grey will work just fine for me. After all, I recently travelled just fine with a burgundy bag!

Comment

That is a lovely colour - almost like periwinkle?
                          I tend to like shades of blue like that, although I think anything blue or grey will work just fine for me. After all, I recently travelled just fine with a burgundy bag!
                          Yes, Dawn is like a periwinkle though apparently TB had a different 'periwinkle' cordura(?) a long time ago...

The 210 ballistics are newer than the 200 halcyons. As @Cristina said, many of us are just interested in geeking out over the other colour options. Also, the 210 ballistics don't have the white grid weave like the 200 halcyons do... so some folks might like the solid colours more.
                          I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Why would 210 ballistic be more desirable than Halcyon?
                            Colors! In my case, that's bright cheerful colors. I can't decide between grass and viridian. Plus a solid color changes the feel of the bag.

Comment

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t the 210 Ballistic also be a little more “stiff”, and maybe hold shape better when the bag was less filled compared to the Halcyon?

Is that right?

Like I said correct me if I’m wrong, that could be just with the more 525 or 1050 ballistics

I’m waiting on the new PCSB to come out as well - ready to order one

Comment

Working...
                              X