Synapse-Synik struggle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synapse-Synik struggle

Years ago, I owned and carried the Synapse 19, and it was the pack which fit my back exactly perfectly. I gave it away to a smaller friend in even greater need of a well-made small backpack.

Also, it's true that I've never bought in to the whole TB system of managing stuff, so the pocket structure never was quite perfect for me.

I'm returning to the idea that I can make the smaller pack work. And I'm missing the perfect fit.

So my question is, do the straps on the Synik 22 (which wasn't around in my Synapse-carrying days) lay the same as those on the Synapse 19? The specs indicate that they are the same length, so it seems reasonable that the back frame and straps would lay the same.

But I know some of you out there have bona fide intelligence on how they both fit against the same back. Please -- tell me everything!

I think there's a little bit of difference in the old model straps vs. edgeless straps on these bags but it's a good thing. I had a Synapse 19 with the older straps and currently own a Synik 22. Both backpacks fit me perfectly. However, the edgeless straps on the Synik are much more comfortable to me than the older style straps that were on my Synapse.

Comment

There have been slight changes over the years with the angle and spacing of the attachment of the S19 & S25 straps....so the current Synpase & Synik packs may not match your old S19 in that regard. There have definitely been at least a few folks for whom the spacing difference has been a concern.
      As mentioned, the new Edgeless straps are also different in terms of thickness/cushioning and fabric.

There have definitely been some folks for whom the new Edgeless straps just don't seem to work. However most of the folks on the Forums who comment - and from what we hear overall from the company - seem to find the new straps better than the old ones.
      Personally, I think the new Edgeless straps are nice and cushy but had no issues with the old ones. I have a Synik 22 (all Syniks have Edgeless straps) and then several Synpase 19s that all have the old straps and I like all of them.

The Synapse 19/25 have optional frame sheets available now and there are slightly different frame sheets in the Syniks by design - those may also affect how the bags feel/carry. For me, the presence or absence of a frame sheet with anything other than a light load has had a much bigger impact on how the bags feel to me than the strap version.

I'd say buy whichever one has the features you like and test pack it out. If it turns out you prefer the older S19 style/straps, they do regularly come up used for sale elsewhere - you'd just have to be clear on the strap version, etc.
      Last edited by G42; 01-31-2021, 07:23 PM.
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

This is helpful. Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
          The Synapse 19/25 have optional frame sheets available now and there are slightly different frame sheets in the Syniks by design - those may also affect how the bags feel/carry. For me, the presence or absence of a frame sheet with anything other than a light load has had a much bigger impact on how the bags feel to me than the strap version.
          G42, can you say more about the specific impact of the framesheet? Assuming you mean it holds the weight in the back outward -- I'm now thinking that a Synik30 may work for me after all.

Comment

Originally posted by SLB View Post
            G42, can you say more about the specific impact of the framesheet? Assuming you mean it holds the weight in the back outward -- I'm now thinking that a Synik30 may work for me after all.
            Yes, that's part of it. I also like that it just makes the back of the pack more rigid, keeps anything weird I'm carrying from poking me (I carry weird stuff for work sometimes), and changes the center of gravity a bit from how it hangs off my shoulders/back. I have 3 different S19s and I have the framesheet in two of them. In pre-Covid times, I'd switch packs for work EDC every month or so purely for the different fabrics/colours....I wouldn't bother moving the framesheet to the one pack that doesn't have it (haven't gotten around to buying another one) but I would probably pick one of the S19s with the sheet if I knew I had weird stuff to carry.
            If I'm carrying a laptop in the S19 in a padded case, it serves some of the same function.

With all that being said, I happily used the S19 before the sheets came out. It's a preference for me, not mandatory.
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Thanks so much!

Comment

Working...
              X