Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walker/ wheelchair bag?

Hi everyone!
    My mom had an accident in December that has left her wheelchair-bound for the moment. She requires more surgery and extensive physical therapy before she can walk again, and will be transitioning to a walker, and then a brace/ boot over the next couple of years. Do you guys have any recommendations for a bag that I can attach to her wheelchair (and later, her walker), so she can carry items with her?
    I was thinking something with pockets, and a fairly large, open capacity. Do you think the pickup truck (or another truck member) will work? What about the synapse/ synik line? I'm open to any suggestions.
    Also, if anyone else has used bags for this use-case and can post pictures, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

zkai5 - so sorry to hear about your mom! best wishes to you both!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

So sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she's on the road to recovery soon.

The TB wheelchair/stroller straps were originally made to work with the Parental Unit, which is now discontinued but you can sometimes find one on the secondhand market. Essentially, these straps will work with any bag that has a 1-1/2” D-ring strap. Check out the page and see if any of the bags they list might also work for your mom.

https://www.tombihn.com/products/cha...nt=42235318663

And you can always email customer service for more suggestions. They are super helpful.
      Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Comment

Thank you so much, G42 and pammy! I had no idea that TB made this accessory, but these straps look like they might be perfect. I will definitely try them out.

Comment

I am so sorry about your mother. There are bags that are specifically designed for wheelchairs. I don't have any experience of them personally but if you do a google search you can probably find them. That may be a better place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by zkai5 View Post
            Hi everyone!
            My mom had an accident in December that has left her wheelchair-bound for the moment. She requires more surgery and extensive physical therapy before she can walk again, and will be transitioning to a walker, and then a brace/ boot over the next couple of years. Do you guys have any recommendations for a bag that I can attach to her wheelchair (and later, her walker), so she can carry items with her?
            I was thinking something with pockets, and a fairly large, open capacity. Do you think the pickup truck (or another truck member) will work? What about the synapse/ synik line? I'm open to any suggestions.
            Also, if anyone else has used bags for this use-case and can post pictures, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!
            Hi zkai5,

To follow up on the information that pammy gave about the wheelchair/stroller strap attachments (that were developed for the Redesigned Parental Unit), I’m going to point you to Darcy’s post in the old Aeronaut, Parental Unit, and Sprout Design Updates Coming Soon! thread from 2017:
            Originally posted by Darcy View Post
            Our new video all about the features of the Parental Unit shows off the new Wheelchair or Stroller Straps:

Here's the timestamp link if you want to skip ahead straight to that part of the video: https://youtu.be/jEgz_eJ4ObA?t=2m43s
            If you use the time stamp link you can start the video exactly where the stroller straps are demoed. The blog design update on the Parental Unit refers to the wheelchair or stroller straps. This Bag is retired, but you might be able to find one still. Also, how large a Bag is needed? I checked over on Ravelry, and one wheelchair user is using the Maker’s Bag, but that’s fairly large.

HTH

moriond

Comment

I can’t speak for wheelchairs because I’d just carry her stuff but I have more expertise in the walker realm than I’d like. Unless your mom is moving around a ton and can lean down to grab things out of the bottom of a deep bag, you probably want something smaller, lightweight and simple. In my mom’s case I rigged a PCSB with keystaps to the front of her walker. She was able to put her glasses, keys, wallet, ipad and a few other things in the PCSB and move around with ease. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thank you everyone! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your kind words and advice. It's a long process, but she will get there eventually.
                photocat, I will definitely do some googling, to see what I can find. I just happened to be looking at the new TB bags when I thought of the idea, and thought I'd ask the forum about it.
                moriond, Thank you for the video and extra info. It looks like the strap attachment is pretty versatile, and could be used with a number of bags. I'll test them out with a couple bags I have at my house, just to see if that would work.
                TRD, What a great idea to use the key straps
                Your advice is very helpful, thanks. This is my 1st experience with someone needing a wheelchair or walker, so I'm a little out of my league here. I'm also currently trying to figure out how to make her house accessible, and get a ramp for her.

However, I can guarantee that she will be bending over, moving around and trying to do stuff. She's in her 50's, and is the most stubborn, independent person I know. She absolutely hates being stuck, and she will not let anything stand in her way. The day she came home from the hospital, she was trying to scoot her wheelchair around the house with a broom, so she could sweep the floors (lol).

Comment

Keystraps to the rescue

Thankfully mom hasn't had to use her walker for a couple years so I'd deconstructed it but any walker newbie has my sympathy so here are the things to know.

1) The deeper and the lower the bag the harder to reach inside. For someone who is already unstable enough to require a walker that could spell disaster.

2) Technically the bag is on the wheel side of the walker so the user doesn't have to "lift" that side but sometimes they have to drag the walker when they need to manuver tight spaces (bathroom) so the heavier the bag the bigger the challenge.

3) BUY THE SLED FEET. Trying to butcher tennis balls is hard and your floor can get really scratched up if you leave things as is. These last a long time and are cheap. Buy them.

Depending on which ailment you're dealing with this Car Exit Handle can be a HUGE help. My version doesn't have all the bells and whistles (lights, seatbelt cutters, WHAT?) but mom used it to help manuver out of the car after a knee replacement and two hip replacements. It's an awesome tool.

And of course, a photo. Where you see those yellow clips now I'd initially attached sturdy key rings. Mom had attached a carabiner on one side so she could attach her travel coffee mug or water bottle. (small hydroflask)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 10.26.24 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	894.5 KB
ID:	307914

Good luck to you both! You're an awesome daughter!
                  Last edited by TRD; 02-04-2021, 10:44 AM. Reason: 2 hips 1 knee

Comment

I apologize for not replying earlier. this week was incredibly hectic, and I just didn't think to check the forums.

Oh my gosh, thank you so much! I can't tell you how helpful this information was. I was actually able to try out the PCSB with my mom using your keystrap method, and she liked it. We also tried some non-TB bags, as well as a synapse 19 backpack (wearing it, instead of on the walker), and my sister's cafe bags with the wheelchairs straps. That worked out rather nicely, so there may be a new TB bag in my mom's new future.

Haha, before I read your post, I was rummaging through her garage, looking for those tennis balls. I'm so glad you turned me on to the sled feet- those should arrive in a few days, so we'll see how they work. The car door handle is also very helpful, because her car is pretty low to the ground, which is difficult to get in and out of. She does physical therapy 3 times a week, and so far, it has been really challenging to get her in and out of the house and car.

As for her ailment, my mom had an accident, and almost lost her leg. She fell into a 3-4 feet deep hole, shattering her tibia. Over the next couple of days, she developed severe acute compartment syndrome and the leg got infected. She was rushed into emergency surgery, where the surgeon was able to save her leg, but he had to remove the majority of her muscle, nerves, and tendons. She now has to do extensive physical therapy in order to re-learn how to walk, and the doctors aren't as hopeful as we would like them to be about how long long that process will take. Also, She still has about 3 reconstructive surgeries that still need to be done.

Thank you My whole family is trying to pitch in, in whatever way we can. We all want to see my mom back on her feet and kicking butt as usual.

Comment

Working...
                    X