Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,492   Posts: 187,423   Members: 6,447   Active Members: 336
Welcome to our newest member, jsmbuchholz.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synapse/Synik question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synapse/Synik question

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade an everyday daily carry situation and probably the most non-negotiable thing is this glass lunchbox. It measures a little less than 6" x 6" x 3" (14.5 cm square x 7.5 cm high)--pic attached. In my dream load-out, this would go into the bottom front pocket of a Synapse/Synik, but I can't figure out what size bag, so I'm hoping someone out there can advise. What's the smallest size Synapse/Synik this would fit into?

Other EDC items are a 15.5" laptop (12.8" x 8.7"), small notebook, various papers, pens, wallet etc., but I have no doubt that they will find a logical home in something even a Synapse 19. The big question is this glass lunchbox, which I think makes the most sense in the bottom front pocket. Maybe other people might have a box like this in their cabinets too, and can see how well it packs?

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210127_164158-COLLAGE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	314512

I can't see it fitting in that lower chin pocket on the Synapse 19/Synik 22... that pocket is barely 6" vertical seam to seam and it's not 3" deep.

Hopefully someone will chime in on the S25/SN30

It should fit in the outside front pocket of the new Paragon in halcyon at least. I have a Pyrex 6cup glass rectangle that fits that is 8 3/4 x 7 x 2 1/2" ish and it fits with some room to spare, after the 2pt turn though it does take room from the inside main compartment since the pockets are more 2D than the Synapse/Synik pockets

Name:	PXL_20210206_192216159.jpeg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	307922

Name:	PXL_20210206_192237613.jpeg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	307923
    Last edited by G42; 02-06-2021, 11:30 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I have a Synapse 25 and found a very similar glass container in my cupboard. As you can see in attached photos, it is a very comfortable fit. You could almost fit another one of that same glass container next to it.

Name:	YvdM-2104-0002.jpg
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	307924

Name:	YvdM-2104-0004.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	307925

Name:	YvdM-2104-0015.jpg
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	307927

Name:	YvdM-2104-0016.jpg
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	307930

Name:	YvdM-2104-0009.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	307929

Name:	YvdM-2104-0008.jpg
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	307928

Name:	YvdM-2104-0007.jpg
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	307926

Before upgrading to the Synapse 25 myself, I actually had a Synapse 19. Like you, I have a lunch container that I value a lot for my EDC (at least pre-pandemic, when I still went to the office). My lunch box is the ECOlunchbox Blue Water Bento, which measures about 16.5 x 12 x 5.5 cm, so it's longer than your lunch container, but more shallow and less wide in the other two dimensions. That box was a tight fit in the S19 (ETA: in its chin pocket), but it did fit. I no longer have the S19, but based on that reference and the size difference between your glass container and my Blue Water Bento box, I doubt yours would fit in the S19. Both the depth and height of the S19 chin pocket are likely insufficient.

May I ask how tall you are? I'm a rather short guy myself, 1.70m (5'7") albeit with a relatively long torso. Because of my height, I initially got the S19, but I was very surprised to learn later that the S25 turned out to be a much better fit for me. Compared to the Synapse 19, the Synapse 25 is slightly bigger in every dimension, except for the chin pocket, which feels HUGE in comparison. With the S19, the chin pocket always felt just a bit too cramped to be really practical, but with the S25 I keep being surprised by how much it will swallow, all without sacrificing any of the available space in the other pockets.

Long story short: I would never want to go back to the S19, as the S25 can feel equally compact if you don't overstuff it, so if you think the S25 might work for you, I suggest you go for it – you'll likely never have to worry about any lunch box not fitting inside its chin pocket.

Regardless of what you choose, here's one tip: I found that putting my lunch box inside a (halcyon) travel stuff sack makes it a lot easier to slide in and out of the Synapse's chin pocket, and has the added benefit of being a first layer of protection against any possible spills. The size 2 stuff sack is a perfect fit for my Blue Water Bento. Your glass container would fit comfortably in a size 3 (just tested it).

Oh and sorry for all the metric measurements, I'm in the Netherlands… ;-)

Hope this helps!
      Last edited by yvandermeer; 02-07-2021, 05:47 AM.
      Synapse 25 (Black 525d Ballistic/Northwest Sky), Daylight Backpack (Black 525d Ballistic/Cloud), Truck (1x Nebulous Grey, 1x Black), Monster Truck (Ursa), Large Zip-Top Shopping Bag (1x Northwest Sky Halcyon, 1x Island 210d ballistic, 1x Dawn 210d ballistic), various Yeoman Duffels (small Burnt Orange, small Verde, small Steel, medium Coyote), Side Effect (Black Halcyon/UV).

Comment

Adding to my previous reply (albeit slightly unrelated to your specific question), some notes regarding fitting your laptop:

I have personally found that the best place for a laptop in the Synapses is in the inner elastic sleeve/pocket, allowing you to have some other "soft cushy stuff" in between the laptop and your back. There's a review of the Synapse 25 by Chase Reeves on YouTube that mentions this specifically as well.

This is one reason why I was never interested in the Syniks, which have the laptop right up against your back.

I have a 13" MacBook Pro, which I always carry inside a protective sleeve. This was a perfect fit in the S19's elastic sleeve, so I doubt a 15.5" laptop would fit there. Again, I think the Synapse 25 would be a much better fit for that.
        Synapse 25 (Black 525d Ballistic/Northwest Sky), Daylight Backpack (Black 525d Ballistic/Cloud), Truck (1x Nebulous Grey, 1x Black), Monster Truck (Ursa), Large Zip-Top Shopping Bag (1x Northwest Sky Halcyon, 1x Island 210d ballistic, 1x Dawn 210d ballistic), various Yeoman Duffels (small Burnt Orange, small Verde, small Steel, medium Coyote), Side Effect (Black Halcyon/UV).

Comment

Name:	199F5C59-61F0-412E-A017-C420A1AED947.jpeg
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	307931

I would say no on the Synapse 19. The container I used was 15 cm square and 8 cm high. Also in the Netherlands with measurements in cm �� just like yvandermeer

Does fit a more rectangular size, my second aid pouch (fully filled) fits exactly. So maybe you would have to go for the S25 or find a different lunchbox.

Name:	0441A63F-0F74-428B-ADFD-2F6B939280C7.jpeg
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	307932

I am 1.65m (5.4), and I like the size of the Synapse 19.
          Last edited by modjow; 02-07-2021, 12:03 PM. Reason: Additional info
          * believe in magic *

Comment

Thank you so much, everyone, for your thorough replies and the helpful photos! Looks like the S25 might be the winner. Now on to the eternal debate about color!
            yvandermeer Interesting question. So, I was actually asking for my wife. She's 5'3" (160cm). Capacity/organization is more important than sizing in her situation--she had used my Daylight backback for less than a week and found it too cramped and the end result too lumpy. Currently she's using my old backpack from high school (non-TomBihn), which is definitely large enough, but not very well organized and is starting to rip. I thought something in the Synapse family would distribute all the various items in a logical, compact way, and here we are.

Thanks for the tip about laptop placement. I also prefer the flexibility of a separate laptop sleeve over built-in padding, especially if you're going somewhere and not bringing the laptop. It's the same reason I like the Daylight over the Luminary, although I wish the DL had better organization. I've clipped a Side Effect to the top (which works well), but it'd be perfect if it had interior zip-away separator panels at the bottom like on Tri-Star (two because then you could stand your water bottle up in the middle, like nature intended, haha).

Comment

myu You're welcome! Funny coincidence, I have two TB backpacks, the Synapse 25 and the DLBP. I use a single laptop sleeve and just put in either pack, depending on how much I need to carry. I use my 13" laptop for work – pre-pandemic, the DLBP was my "minimal summer work bag", the S25 if I needed to take more. In my experience, how you pack the DLBP really matters a lot in how it feels. I always have my (lightly padded) laptop sleeve against my back and I found a system where I "tetris" a few smaller bags / containers in front of that to make best use of shallow rectangular space. Some people (not me) swear by the Freudian Slip for adding organization to TB bags, have you considered that one?

With regards to the water bottle inside the DLBP, there's a forum hack somewhere with a rubber band around the neck of the water bottle to keep it upright. I found that using a 8-inch keystrap and looping it through the grab handle of my reusable water bottle (using a Camelbak Chute at the moment) works equally well.

Good luck deciding on the color! Not too many S25 options in stock at the moment if you're looking to buy new. If your wife likes red: I've heard people love their Mars Red bags!

Comment

Working...
              X