Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using a Western Flyer FS in the Cadet? Requesting loadout pics

Howdy!
    As the subject line states: I'm looking for pictures of any loadouts folks have using the Western Flyer/TS/EB Freudian Slip in a Cadet.

Background:

I've been using an S19 (Wilderness) for EDC/Work carry over the past year. I'm considered essential by NY state and unable to take my work home with me, so I've been continuing my work commuting. Recently I downsized what I carry to a DLBC (Cloud) and I'm amazed at how much that little bag holds! The organization is decent, especially when adding in a Maxpedition hook & loop organizer in the front pocket.

On the other hand, I'm finding myself over-stuffing the DLBC just a tad and wanting a little more space in each dimension. I'm really enamored with the Cadet and am strongly considering getting one. While thinking about adding extra organization to it (I vastly prefer quick access organization over pouch organization), I thought a Western Flyer FS might be really handy, but I'd like to see pics of how it fits with other stuff in the bag. The main compartment would likely hold:
    -10" Microsoft Surface Go with Bellroy tablet sleeve
    -A5 Planner
    -Hardcover book
    -A5 work notebook
    -Lunch box (rough profile would be 5"x9"x2" standing on end)

Just curious if anyone has tried that setup before, and how it worked.

Cheers!

I just bought a cadet and had a ts/wf Freudian slip. In fact I was doing a trial packout today. I will try to get pictures tomorrow morning.

I will say the Freudian slip fits well in all dimensions. An Aeronaut packing cube fits in the main compartment not fully packed so I would conclude there is about 3.5 inches of depth to the main compartment (I have a new 525d ballistic cadet so it is not relaxed yet and should add capacity when it does). The Freudian slip empty has some depth with the foam core. Also note the cadet has a foam cushioning on front and back of main compartment.

I will try to get a packout similar to yours to get some pictures tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by organicfarmer View Post
      I just bought a cadet and had a ts/wf Freudian slip. In fact I was doing a trial packout today. I will try to get pictures tomorrow morning.

I will say the Freudian slip fits well in all dimensions. An Aeronaut packing cube fits in the main compartment not fully packed so I would conclude there is about 3.5 inches of depth to the main compartment (I have a new 525d ballistic cadet so it is not relaxed yet and should add capacity when it does). The Freudian slip empty has some depth with the foam core. Also note the cadet has a foam cushioning on front and back of main compartment.

I will try to get a packout similar to yours to get some pictures tomorrow.
      That's great timing! Looking forward to whatever info you can share with me.
      Thanks!

Comment

Usual contents of my Tristar Western Flyer Empire Builder Freudian Slip for office use and take at other work spots around the house

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210208_161738176.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	307935

Back of FS with couple of papers, slots do fit my normal sized clipboard

Name:	PXL_20210208_161753964.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	307934

FS alone in the Cadet

Name:	PXL_20210208_161829217.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	307936

FS plus Surface 3 10" laptop, clipboard, large organizer pouch with papers (unzipped bc i sort some vertically too in office)

Name:	PXL_20210208_162032274.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	307937

Tom Bihn XXS box (doesn't quite hold 8.5x11 paper flat lengthwise internally) external dimensions 11.5" x 9.5" x 3"

Name:	PXL_20210208_162207850.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	307940

Some room remains at top

Name:	PXL_20210208_162202630.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	307939

Box centered

Name:	PXL_20210208_162156575.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	307938

Box with room alongside for water bottle or showing additional space above box

Name:	PXL_20210208_162328035.MP.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	307943

Filled with just the box. Nothing in front pocket, but not invading front pocket space

Name:	PXL_20210208_162301372.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	307942

Just the box inside

Name:	PXL_20210208_162232947.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	307941

My objective with the Cadet was to have a bag that could fit all files, a larger laptop, and/or packing cube. I want it to be briefcase, but in future a personal item for air travel. The Pilot's organization with the water bottle prevented any sizeable packing cube to be used. the Cadet gives a large open space for Aeronaut packing cube or a tristar or western flyer packing cube.

Comment

Thank you so much for posting all those pics, organicfarmer! It really helps me visualize the usage of the space.

One question: about how deep is the compartment in the front of the Cadet (with the pen pockets)? I'm looking to see what I could fit in there.

Comment

Main compartment of Cadet only had a large organizer pouch in it, but as you see here and other pictures, the front pocket has a little 3D dimension forward to allow items in front of the pen loops and tool loops.

Cadet front pocket with Freudian slip as loaded in pics above and placed to the bottom of the front pocket.

Name:	PXL_20210209_172907315.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	307945

Same box with same dimensions fit snuggly but easily into front pocket of the Cadet. It was not forced, but not easy. Box to the bottom of the pocket. Again new ballistic fabric for will relax and work easier in time. Of course the zipper would not fit over the box but you can see the 3" box fits in from of the loops.

Name:	PXL_20210209_172947149.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	307946

Tape measure of heights and width of the front pocket. The box dimension is the best measure of the potential depth of bottom of pocket.

Name:	PXL_20210209_173029891.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	307947

Name:	PXL_20210209_173048097.MP.jpg
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	307948

Name:	PXL_20210209_173055593.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	307949

Comment

Originally posted by darknova306 View Post
              Thank you so much for posting all those pics, organicfarmer! It really helps me visualize the usage of the space.

One question: about how deep is the compartment in the front of the Cadet (with the pen pockets)? I'm looking to see what I could fit in there.
              The pictures above should show the front pocket capacity. With the Cadet I feel you may just use the front pocket for items. The pen loops are different than the Freudian slip, but similar carry. A few organizer pouches being relatively flat may help match the pockets of the Freudian slip. However, the Freudian slip is nice to pop out of a bag or set on a work space for easiest access.

I would offer 2 opinions of mine on your carry to also look at. Since you had a backpack, you may look at the new Paragon back pack with a different Freudian slip for organization. Would have backpack straps vs the Cadet single strap carry. (Less than 24 hours to buy FYI before orders close FYI) Or you may look at the Pilot for an alternate pocketry of the Cadet. You may like the water bottle pockets and 2 larger 3D pockets alongside the water bottle pocket. I think the WF/TS/Cadet FS would fit the back pocket of the Pilot because a Large OP fits in that pocket.

Comment

I would offer 2 opinions of mine on your carry to also look at. Since you had a backpack, you may look at the new Paragon back pack with a different Freudian slip for organization. Would have backpack straps vs the Cadet single strap carry. (Less than 24 hours to buy FYI before orders close FYI) Or you may look at the Pilot for an alternate pocketry of the Cadet. You may like the water bottle pockets and 2 larger 3D pockets alongside the water bottle pocket. I think the WF/TS/Cadet FS would fit the back pocket of the Pilot because a Large OP fits in that pocket.
                @organic farmer,

The WF/TS/Cadet FS is too large (wide) to fit into the back pocket of the Pilot, even totally empty, because the foam has some thickness. I could force it to go in warped and curved if it is entirely empty, and if I am using a Halcyon Pilot, but it obviously can't be used that way. You get slightly better success putting it into the main compartment at the back of the Pilot, but here it is too tall to fit easily, and only goes in if you permit a slight angling. Again, you'd have better results if the Pilot is Halcyon.

Some pics to demo this:

Name:	IMG_4955.JPG
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	307950
                Here's a completely empty Pilot in original Halcyon, with the laptop cache (for a 13" MacBook Pro) pulled out, and the WF/TS/Cadet FS inserted into the main laptop compartment. I'm using the grid of the Halcyon to show you how far the bottom of the FS extends beyond the actual bottom seam of the bag (count about 3 of those boxes).

If you take a side view picture, you can see how the WF/TS/Cadet FS can fit in vertically if you allow it to slightly angle into the main laptop pocket (reducing available space), and/or poke up against the fabric (assuming you have the Pilot in Halcyon)

Name:	IMG_4956.JPG
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	307951
                Again, the rest of the Pilot is completely empty. The bulge you are seeing at the top is how much the WF/TS/Cadet FS pushes the fabric of the Pilot.

By contrast, I've overlaid a Maker's Bag/Swift FS (it's in Grass to highlight the color), which is about the same size as the cache for my 13" Macbook Pro. You can use it to carry papers, but it doesn't have separate pen slots. (It's also currently sold out). The back side has pockets (you can look at the other sold-out Maker's Bag/Swift FS in Cloud). Pictures of all of these Freudian slips can also be found in the The new Freudian Slip colors thread.

The main problem about the Tri-Star/Western Flyer/Empire Builder Freudian Slip in the Cadet is the amount of width it takes up. It's less of a problem with today's smaller and thinner laptops or tablets.

HTH

moriond
                Last edited by moriond; 02-09-2021, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the pictures! This has been super helpful seeing that I'm mostly a visual thinker. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond so thoroughly to my questions.

The pictures above should show the front pocket capacity. With the Cadet I feel you may just use the front pocket for items. The pen loops are different than the Freudian slip, but similar carry. A few organizer pouches being relatively flat may help match the pockets of the Freudian slip. However, the Freudian slip is nice to pop out of a bag or set on a work space for easiest access.

The Paragon looks nice, but I'm trying to move toward a smaller shoulder carry setup, plus I'm planning on keeping the Synapse for whenever I need more space. I've also checked out the Pilot a bunch of times, but I feel like I'm more comfortable with the "smaller number of well organized pockets" setup than the "lots of lightly organized pockets" setup of the Synapses/Pilots/etc.

After thinking all of this through for a while, I've just ordered a Wilderness Cadet, Cloud WF/TS/EB Freudian Slip, and Coyote zipper pulls. I'm on the fence about the FS, so I figured I'd order it and try it out in person. I actually think I have a specific use for every pocket in the Cadet AND the Freudian Slip. We'll see what happens when it gets here!

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                    @organic farmer,

The WF/TS/Cadet FS is too large (wide) to fit into the back pocket of the Pilot, even totally empty, because the foam has some thickness. I could force it to go in warped and curved if it is entirely empty, and if I am using a Halcyon Pilot, but it obviously can't be used that way. You get slightly better success putting it into the main compartment at the back of the Pilot, but here it is too tall to fit easily, and only goes in if you permit a slight angling. Again, you'd have better results if the Pilot is Halcyon.

The main problem about the Tri-Star/Western Flyer/Empire Builder Freudian Slip in the Cadet is the amount of width it takes up.

HTH

moriond
                    The difference in fitting vs fitting well and "if it zips, it fits." I agree from the pictures it doesn't fit well.

I agree the Freudian Slip is wide. The center foam plus fabric covering it takes up 1/2" and then the folder pockets plus pen loops extend beyond that. As my FS is loaded with tools, pens, files, etc the widest point is about 2 inches and the Cadet has 3- 3.5" total main compartment comfortable depth.

darknova306 Good to hear you bought a bag and FS. I hope they work well for you. Keeping your Synapse will also allow you to have a backpack and shoulder carry if you venture beyond a one bag EDC. Let us know how it works out as the Cadet gets less attention than others and has lots to offer.

Comment

Agreed, organicfarmer, the Cadet seems to get mentioned more infrequently than I realized. That was part of the issue I had researching it in the forums: most of the Cadet-related threads I saw were Pilot-centric "Cadet vs Pilot" discussions, but I'm not interested in the Pilot.

Thank you so much for answering my questions so thoroughly, and maybe this thread helps someone in the future. The Cadet and FS should be arriving on Monday next week, so I'll post my thoughts once I've had a chance to check them out.

Comment

After several delivery delays due to snow storms, I finally got it a few days ago! The Cadet is a very slick looking briefcase, and fits all of my stuff pretty well. I'll do a full post on it with more pictures when I get some time, but my impression after a bit of use is that this bag organizes the way I like and looks exceptionally good in Wilderness. It really is a great step up from the DLBC for my purposes, and it carries beautifully with the OpTech Mini strap.

Wilderness is such a great color

Name:	Cadet_Loaded.jpg
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	307983

Comment

Originally posted by darknova306 View Post
                          After several delivery delays due to snow storms, I finally got it a few days ago! The Cadet is a very slick looking briefcase, and fits all of my stuff pretty well. I'll do a full post on it with more pictures when I get some time, but my impression after a bit of use is that this bag organizes the way I like and looks exceptionally good in Wilderness. It really is a great step up from the DLBC for my purposes, and it carries beautifully with the OpTech Mini strap.
                          I hope you do post a full review - as you noticed, there aren't as many threads (esp recently) about the Cadet, so it will be good to get your take, including vs the DLBC.
                          I happen to really like the DLBC in halcyon, but I use it as a cross body bag, not a traditional laptop/file folder briefcase
                          I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Working...
                          X