Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,998   Posts: 193,791   Members: 6,896   Active Members: 241
Welcome to our newest member, Kimiko.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HLT size 1 or 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HLT size 1 or 2?

I want to pre-order an HLT, but I'm really torn about which size to get. Given some parameters, can you advise me? I have a small spiff kit (which seems similar in size to the HLT 2), and it seems a little big for the using-it-as-a-notebook use case (which I looove on paper), but obviously the spiff kit doesn't have all the handles/webbing of the HLT, so it's hard to tell. I do have small hands, though.

Things I'd like to put in it:
    - keys and wallet (a minimalist wallet)
    - some cords (2 USBs, earbuds)
    - backup charger
    - pens
    - notebook (don't care what size)
    - I'd love to be able to fit some other basics like chapstick, inhaler, hand lotion/sanitizer

Bags it'll get thrown into (so it would be great if it fits nicely) include
    - Icon
    - Synapse 19
    - Aeronaut 30

Any thoughts? Strong feelings about one size or the other? Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by goodbyewaffles; 02-08-2021, 01:08 PM.

I love my HLT size one mostly because it fits perfectly in the bottom pack of my synapse 19! I fit a couple iPhone cords, car charging plug, car phone mount, some emergency cash, two sticky note pads, and a small spiral bound notebook. I could definitely fit more in it (some pens, chapstick, my keys maybe) and it would still not be totally stuffed to the brim which I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ooh that's great that it fits in the bottom pocket. Does it fill that bottom compartment pretty well or is there a lot of space on the sides? (This is what's happened to me with other pouches I've tried in that space.)

Comment

Hi goodbyewaffles,

Your standard Spiff Kit is actually larger than an HLT2 (both deeper and slightly bigger in the cross-section directions: for example, I can fit a standard hard-cover Moleskine notebook into the Spiff Kit standard, while in the HLT2 the corners of that notebook would poke uncomfortably into the sides of the HLT2 because of the rounded rather than rectangular corners; I can force zip the HLT2 shut without too much trouble, but I wouldn't use this regularly this way in practice).

An HLT1 would fit more comfortable in an Icon, and also into the bottom pocket of a Synapse 19, and I don't think you need the larger size HLT2 for what you are describing. Because the cords are relatively flat, you could also add pouches to the O-rings inside the open HLT1 if you needed to carry other items inside that didn't fit in either the interior mesh zippered pocket, or the outside front zippered pocket. For example, you don't describe what kind of inhaler you use (L-shaped or disk), but I could imagine sticking that in Super-Mini Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch inside, and attaching it to an interior O-ring. I'd be inclined to attach keys to outside front zippered pocket for easier access. I'd stick a small notebook (like Field Notes or Moleskine -- pretty standard size) below the mesh pocket, and depending on how you organize your cables, pens can fit either in the elastic bands where the cables are being stored or the ones at the spine hinge of the HLT.

Some other things you can do:
        •If you do attach pouches inside the HLT, ordering some small size swivel carabiners (in your color of choice), will give you more flexibility in making those pouches lie flat; the position of the internal O-rings are dictated by not wanting to interfere with the O-rings in the outside zippered pockets, so you can get more adjustability of tethered position by using the small swivel carabiner as an intermediate connector between O-ring and pouch. (If you don't need to use the inside O-rings you can ignore this).
        •If you want more room in the zippered pockets under the elastics holding your cables, use a seam ripper to remove the central stitching -- that's another way you could easily fit in your chapstick if you want another pocket for it. It turns out that in the very first production batch of the HLT1, they left out that stitching in some of the Halcyon HLT1s that were sent out. Some of the forum members at Ravelry who ordered followup HLT1s were surprised to get different versions, and it turns out some preferred it without the central stitching.

This is a picture of an HLT1 from the Double Carabiners Pics thread. It shows some of the places you can put pens in the elastic bands (there's also a pack of slim frixon colored pens in the mesh pocket). This is suspended so you can see where I've attached a Mini Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch, and a Double Red Pouchkin from the First/Second Aid Pouch. (Note: they're currently sold out of the Double Red Pouchkin, so I've had to link to the Double Blue Pouchkin.) The small carabiners help the pouchkin lie flatter.

There are more pictures in the linked post, which itself contains a link to an original review post on the HLTs and Icons

Also, they may still have Tom Bihn rulers ($1 each, and used to come with the Swifts and Field Journal Notebooks); they're a convenient size for either HLT, but I think the links to the product have been removed, as they simplified the active product pages. But they may still have them in stock if you ask customer support and are interested.

HTH

moriond

Comment

I wanted to buy a size 2 originally, but it was not in stock at that time, so I ordered size 1. Then I found it's not too small for the purpose and now I like the size. Unless you have a specific item that only fits size 2, I would recommend size 1. Although I don't carry a notebook in it, I think an A6 size notebook should fit.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgets View Post
            I wanted to buy a size 2 originally, but it was not in stock at that time, so I ordered size 1. Then I found it's not too small for the purpose and now I like the size. Unless you have a specific item that only fits size 2, I would recommend size 1. Although I don't carry a notebook in it, I think an A6 size notebook should fit.
            If I want to carry a Kindle Paperwhite in the HLT then I need an HLT2, and the device in its case can fit under the zippered mesh pocket. Maximum size depends on whether you are willing to put the notebook unsecured into the HLT (remember that with the clamshell opening, depending on how you use the accessory or tether it, you may have to be prepared with your notebook falling out when you unzip the case. That's why stashing a notebook in the opening underneath the mesh zippered pocket can be convenient. For the HLT1 9 x 14 cm / 3.5 x 5.5 in fits conveniently under the mesh pocket, as long as the notebook is not too thick. (The Rhodia hardover webnotebook in that size with 192 pages is a bit too thick to comfortably insert there.) You can hold the HLT (either size) open and get a relatively flat surface for writing or reading. But carrying a standard trade paperback is slightly too large to comfortably hold in the HLT2; some of the Lonely Planet pb guides are just slightly narrower enough to fit. For the HLT2, the largest notebook I could comfortably fit under the mesh pocket was the Leuchtturm1917 planner.

moriond

Comment

I love my HLT1 (it fits great in the Parental Unit). Often, I carry it as a cross body bag. It fits loads of stuff (everything you mention excepting an inhaler because I don’t have one- so not entirely sure on that part of your question). Some pics of the different ways I have loaded it:

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                That's why stashing a notebook in the opening underneath the mesh zippered pocket can be convenient.
                moriond
                Although TB advertise it using a notebook inside HLT, I wonder how practical it is. I can hardly write against the bumpy HTL with all those accessaries like cords, adapters in the pockets and slots. I would just use HLT for caring a notebook, and take it out on a table (or even on hand) when writing on it. But it may be just me.

Comment

Originally posted by goodbyewaffles View Post
                  Ooh that's great that it fits in the bottom pocket. Does it fill that bottom compartment pretty well or is there a lot of space on the sides? (This is what's happened to me with other pouches I've tried in that space.)
                  There is some room (not a completely snug fit left to right). I would say the HLT takes up around 75% off the length of the pocket. I don’t mind the slight bit of room (can just throw an extra pair of gloves or hat in the space).

Comment

Originally posted by ksci17 View Post
                    There is some room (not a completely snug fit left to right). I would say the HLT takes up around 75% off the length of the pocket. I don’t mind the slight bit of room (can just throw an extra pair of gloves or hat in the space).

And for this picture I pushed the HLT all the way to the right to show the true amount of space. It looks correctly sized when in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgets View Post
                      Although TB advertise it using a notebook inside HLT, I wonder how practical it is. I can hardly write against the bumpy HTL with all those accessaries like cords, adapters in the pockets and slots. I would just use HLT for caring a notebook, and take it out on a table (or even on hand) when writing on it. But it may be just me.
                      I have used the HLT2 during factory trials and I do stand and write in a notebook with the HLT open in my hand.
                      Writing on a table would probably always be easier, but it's not always an option. How bumpy everything is depends on what and how you pack it and how thick the notebook is.
                      “Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you.”
                      “Sir?”
                      “It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority.”
                      “Sir?”
                      “That’s practically zen.”
                      -Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Comment

Originally posted by goodbyewaffles View Post

This is what an HLT1 looks like if you leave it tethered to the O-rings via Medium Size Swivel Carabiner clips (that come with the HLT) in the bottom pocket of either an S19 or a Synik 22, and pull it out. You can also suspend it from the webbing loops at the top of either a Synapse 19 or Synik 22 using either Medium or Large Swivel Carabiner Clips, or 1" Single Gatekeeper Clips that you can buy from parts for $1 a pair.

(Back side of HLT 1 with Swivel Carabiners attached)

Single Gatekeeper Clips, and Medium and Large Swivel Carabiners

HLT1 suspended from webbing loops at top of Synik 22 (Synapse 19 looks similar)

HLT1 suspended with single gatekeeper clips (sits higher, but more work to open clip; good if you leave the HLT1 mostly attached)

There's a neat hack that terayon posted

She made paracord loops with knotted ends that she could quickly tie/undo to fasten the HLT1:

There are many more pictures and discussion at the linked post in the Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses thread.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I forgot to mention that you can also attach a shoulder strap to the back of an HLT 1 to wear it cross-body:
                        These are where the shoulder strap ends connect to the HLT 1
                        Last edited by moriond; 02-08-2021, 08:00 PM.

Comment

This is super helpful everyone, and thank you for taking those pictures! I'm ordering the HLT1 in solaris and I am SO EXCITED
                          Last edited by goodbyewaffles; 02-09-2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X