Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,580   Posts: 188,314   Members: 6,539   Active Members: 284
Welcome to our newest member, tam017.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good "man bag"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katy
    replied
    Originally posted by timothy View Post
    My dad stuffs his pockets clownishly with giant wallet, books, cans of soda, watermelons, magnets, balls of wax, combs, a set of keys that will get you into or out of any major historical prison (by bending gravity enough to distort bars), utility knives, paint, lightbulbs, garage door openers, batteries, notepads, newspapers, cassettes, razors, rope, clamps, golf-balls, bookshelves, and string.
    My purse used to be like that, I had about 10 uneaten clif bars in my purse at one time. I'm pretty sure my purse was a black hole. I'm down to two clif bars and some gum now in my Ristretto. My keys sadly have only lightened by one key chain over this past weekend.

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    Originally posted by ozone View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if TB made a microfibre or "luxurious" Cafe Bag? :-)
    I think the Ultrasuede bags may fit that bill when they arrive. I just ordered another medium cafe bag (this time in Linen.)

Leave a comment:

• ozone
    replied
    Well... after a lot of thought (and bugging my wife for her opinion), I think I'm going to give up on the Saddleback satchel idea. I love the leather, but it's a lot of money, and to be honest, I'm not sure it fits with how I pack things.

Wouldn't it be great if TB made a microfibre or "luxurious" Cafe Bag? :-)

Leave a comment:

• Just
    replied
    My dad stuffs his pockets clownishly with... watermelons
    LOL, maverick! I didn't even notice that timothy mentioned watermelons until you pointed it out there!!!

Leave a comment:

• ozone
    replied
    I dug up an older, MEC shoulder bag I had and asked my wife if it could work with a suit or more formal situation. Nope. I figure I have to pursue a leather, microfibre, or something similar.

How about these? http://store.saddlebackleather.com/c...s-Leather-Bags

Yummy! Indiana Jones! Expensive!

Leave a comment:

• mplsnst
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnDel View Post
    I have a Cocoa/Wasabi small Cafe Bag (...)
    Its a very good size for many things, but is slightly too small for 8-1/2" x 11" paper or similar sized magazines without bending or folding them.
    I tried the small as well, but ended up going with a medium for that very reason. The medium is just big enough to accommodate the 9" x 11.5" binder I carry to work one or two days a week, but still small enough that it doesn't feel oversized the rest of the time when it's filled only halfway. Ideally sized, really.

On the issue of man-baggish appropriateness or lack thereof, I have to say it is slightly pursey-looking, albeit in an outdoorsy kind of way. I've gotten used to it though.
    Last edited by mplsnst; 06-05-2009, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• timothy
    replied
    Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    '"My dad stuffs his pockets clownishly with... watermelons"

now this i'd pay money to see!'

Too bad -- they're obscured by the ink stains from the pens.

timothy

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    My dad stuffs his pockets clownishly with... watermelons
    now this i'd pay money to see!

Leave a comment:

• timothy
    replied
    My mom carries a giant purse -- always has.

My dad stuffs his pockets clownishly with giant wallet, books, cans of soda, watermelons, magnets, balls of wax, combs, a set of keys that will get you into or out of any major historical prison (by bending gravity enough to distort bars), utility knives, paint, lightbulbs, garage door openers, batteries, notepads, newspapers, cassettes, razors, rope, clamps, golf-balls, bookshelves, and string.

My brother makes do with less.

My sister carries an outdoorsy but small purse.

I carry a messenger bag, for (I estimate) most days of the last 20 years.

timothy

Leave a comment:

• JohnDel
    replied
    More Man Bag Considerations

I have a Cocoa/Wasabi small Cafe Bag which I purchased used a few months ago. The wasabi color is always a bit visible around the edges of the flap when it is closed. I assume that's the case for the inner colors of all the Cafe Bags. Its something to consider for those who are color coordinating. Or at least trying not to clash.

Its a very good size for many things, but is slightly too small for 8-1/2" x 11" paper or similar sized magazines without bending or folding them.

Leave a comment:

• ozone
    replied
    I looked at the Territory Ahead bags - truthfully, I'm looking for something that goes well if I'm wearing jeans or a suit. Not sure that the Territory Ahead bag will go well in a formal situation, unless I'm looking at the wrong bags.

Leave a comment:

• Shiva
    replied
    Another good option is a bag made by The Territory Ahead <theterritoryahead.com> which sells for $100 and is well designed; and has a great look.

Leave a comment:

• Shiva
    replied
    oh my my. did not see this thread until now. Seems like many of the "men" here are having crises--over purses and sexual orientation! I feel compelled to speak up in more ways than one...having watched various men over the years have stuff fall out of their various pockets--given newer bigger fobs for car keys, and pdas and ipods and more and more keys...and sorry guys: but most times, I get dumped with all the extras in my bag cos they won't carry any..I end up carrying stuff for all my friends. And as for "metrosexuals"--hmmmm.maybe I will hold my peace on that one.

Leave a comment:

• ozone
    replied
    Has anybody looked at...

... this one from Waterfield?

http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.htm

Looks nice, and I would consider the smaller sized one, but it doesn't look like the flap actually closes, unless there's a magnet under the leather.

Leave a comment:

• keb
    replied
    Originally posted by fbrown627 View Post
    Seriously, Keb, I think it matters as to what line of work you're in as to whether a cafe bag would pass muster--even in black. Banking, no. Academic or creative, yes to maybe.

My personal opinion is that a briefcase style bag (horizontal) would be more appropriate for many business situations than a vertical bag (like the cafe bag.)

It also has to do with age. Again, my belief, the older you are, horizontal is better for work.

Darker colors over bright ones.

It's also good to know what your contemporaries are carrying.

As far as leisure time, then a horizontal might be too formal and a vertical just fine. It just may be that you need two separate bags. That's what I'm going to do.
    agree completely.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X