Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,819   Posts: 191,213   Members: 6,714   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, adb755.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cordura damaging clothes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bluedawg
    replied
    this was also mentioned recently (within the past few weeks) in another thread... i will try to find the link in a second... but i mentioned there that the smart alec definitely put a lot of pills on my shirt the first day i ever wore it (the bag, and the shirt). the t-shirt was mostly pima cotton, so it was somewhat "delicate" i suppose. i wore the smart alec with other t-shirts on the same trip, and so did my husband, without problems, but they were more "regular" cotton. other than that, i've only been wearing the smart alec over a jacket, so i haven't noticed any problems since my jackets are typically more durable than my t-shirts.

now that this has come up a couple of times, though... i really am wondering about the cafe bags and whether they rub people's clothes the wrong way!

edited to add: here's the thread i was thinking of... i think it's the same one Shiva was referencing above.
    Last edited by bluedawg; 05-31-2009, 10:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Shiva
    replied
    HI Judge:
    I had posted about this a week or so ago with reference to the Ruck's Sac. I think, in general, cordura is a "rougher" finish; so the friction between that and the clothes is much higher than ballistic nylon which has a smoother face as they say. The two fabrics are very different in feel and look, and in general, this is why I have preferred ballistic nylon. They have also different tensile strengths and weave quality...so I am sure there will be pilling; but it also depends on the clothes themselves. In general, I find all cotton knitted garments will pill more than woven cotton; finer cottons will pill more...and so on. Wool will definitely pill.
    I have ordered the Ruck's Sac--but plan to use it mostly for hiking trips and so on when I am most probably wearing "exercise clothes" etc., I have been hesitant ordering Smart Alec for every day work for this reason.....
    Darcy or Tom may be able to answer this question more effectively too.

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by judge View Post
    Been meaning to post this for awhile, but never got around to it. I noticed that some of my tops (t-shirts, hoodies, etc) had a lot of unexplained pilling/damage in the back. Initially, this only happened with brand new clothes, so I thought it was just bad quality control or something, but it continued to occur and I realized that this only happened when I was using the Smart Alec.
    <snip>
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    There was this old thread in the forums, but I haven't noticed this effect personally.

Leave a comment:

• judge
    started a topic Cordura damaging clothes?

Cordura damaging clothes?

Been meaning to post this for awhile, but never got around to it. I noticed that some of my tops (t-shirts, hoodies, etc) had a lot of unexplained pilling/damage in the back. Initially, this only happened with brand new clothes, so I thought it was just bad quality control or something, but it continued to occur and I realized that this only happened when I was using the Smart Alec. This is in large part why I never really use the Smart Alec anymore. I'm assuming the issue arises from the back of the Smart Alec being made from Cordura, since this doesn't seem to be a problem with ballistic nylon, which is what most of the back of the Super Ego is made from. But the top of the back of the bag is made from cordura, and now that I'm looking for it, I've noticed some minor pilling/damage to clothes in the corresponding area after using the Super Ego. I guess it's not that big of a deal, but it is quite annoying. Has anyone else had this problem?
Working...
X