Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,530   Posts: 187,825   Members: 6,493   Active Members: 297
Welcome to our newest member, dcaisson.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: TB's super-backpacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: TB's super-backpacks

I would like to know if anyone on this forum uses any of the larger, multi-purpose Tom Bihn travel bags (Aeronaut, Western Flyer, or Tri-Star) as a backpack for outdoor activities such as hikes, sporting activities, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, or for outdoor work or volunteerism projects. Does anyone use these kinds of large bags for something in an outdoor setting, other than as travel luggage?
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

I have the Aeronaut and love it. I wouldn't use it for outdoor activities though. The backpack straps and bag are comfortable for short distances. For anything longer, a bag designed as a backpack like the Brain Bag would work much better.
    The smaller bags like the Western Flyer might be designed to be comfortable for hikes but I haven't tried one.

Comment

mrae is exactly right: the Aeronaut, Western Flyer, and Tri-Star are not designed for use as hiking packs. The backpack straps are designed to be comfortable for walking across the airport or walking to/taking public transport to your hotel after you reach your destination.

If you're looking for a day-hiking backpack, the Smart Alec and the soon-to-be-released Synapse are great.
      Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Working...
      X