Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,766   Posts: 190,579   Members: 6,645   Active Members: 253
Welcome to our newest member, YSAKit5982.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cork and Cold Weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bag Lady
    replied
    Originally posted by gmanedit View Post
    I'm glad your black bag is working out. If you lived in New York, where the first rule is never leave anything in your car, you could order the steel/cork/wasabi after your car was broken into.

Wow, gmanedit, I live in a big little town where people still live their house doors unlocked! Once a good friend of mine dropped her wallet in the parking lot and when she got home several hours later, the finder of the wallet had returned the wallet and left it on her kitchen counter! Another friend used to leave her keys in her ignition in the parking lot at the grocery store. I've also seen keys tossed on the front driver's seat as the owner popped into the store (this scenario usually involved rugged looking manly types with pick-up trucks. I guess pocketing your keys is not cool with these types?)

All the same I know better, I'm from Detroit! I even lock my car when I pop over to my friends' houses for five minutes and I park in front of their house on the street. My motto is better safe than sorry even if it makes you look a little silly.

So, between the low odds of having my Imago stolen and the high durability of Tom Bihn bags, I'll be (happily) carrying my Blk/Blk/Wasabi Imago for a looooong while until such time comes that I can justify another investment!

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    I'm glad your black bag is working out. If you lived in New York, where the first rule is never leave anything in your car, you could order the steel/cork/wasabi after your car was broken into.
    My uncle had his trunk broken into, and a small duffel/gym bag stolen. All the duffel contained were childhood memories (pictures, etc.) that he was transporting from his mother's old house. Stuff that was worthless to anyone except himself.

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    Originally posted by Bag Lady View Post
    Hi all, sorry it took me awhile to tell you my findings of the Cork Pouch Experiment.

To recap:
    1) Spritzed the front and back with water until thoroughly wet.
    2) Placed in my freezer for 48 hours. A thin coating of frost accumulated on the snap hook mechanism. A very small patch of thin sheet of ice accumulated on the cork.
    3) Removed cork from freezer to let it thaw. Did not feel wet or damp as it warmed up to room temperature.
    4) Once it reached room temperature, folded it numberous times, a la ex machina's video, no consequences! No flaking, chipping, breaking of cork. Snapped back beautifully. And it still looks great!

I can finally have peace of mind that the Cork Fabric will wear extremely well in my lake-effect snow part of the world that I live in!!!!!

This test has been concluded.
    Fantastic! Thanks for doing your experiment Bag Lady, and posting your results.

Leave a comment:

• gmanedit
    replied
    Hi, Bag Lady. Congratulations on the success of your experiment. Thanks to you, ex machina, and Darcy, we've learned that cork freezes and crumples to no ill effect and can be Nikwaxed for more weatherproofing.

Leave a comment:

• Bag Lady
    replied
    Hi, Bag Lady.

"I am resigned to carrying the Blk Imago when it arrives": That's so sad—anticipatory buyer's remorse.

Why don't you call Darcy tomorrow and ask if the cork has been tested for your weather conditions? Does the product guarantee cover frigid weather?
    Hi gmanedit! I have been using the Blk/Blk/Wasabi for several weeks now and loving it. No buyer's remorse here! That's because since I mostly have it sitting on my desk/counter/car seat next to me, I usually have the flap open and therefore see the beautiful Wasabi, instead of the sea of black. Also, I have the new Medium Cafe Bag in Steel already loaded with my essentials that I keep in my car so I tend to pull my wallet and cell phone out of my Imago, and place them in the MCB and carry that in and out of stores. When I do that, I buckle up the Imago, and tuck it out of sight (usually in the front passenger seat leg area, within a larger Lands End bag.)

Also, I clipped my small Cork Pouch to the open front pocket that's lined with Wasabi, and I just love how the Cork and Wasabi look together, green and brown, how can you go wrong with that?

Alas, since I've been bitten by the Bihn bug, I know deep in my heart that I will eventually order the Steel/Cork/Wasaki Imago, esp. now that I am confident the Cork will survive the snow/freeze combination. But since these bags are made so well, I can't justify it right now. Maybe I'll order it soon in case they discontinue the color scheme, and save it for later...

Leave a comment:

• Bag Lady
    replied
    Results of the Cork Pouch Experiment

Hi all, sorry it took me awhile to tell you my findings of the Cork Pouch Experiment.

To recap:
    1) Spritzed the front and back with water until thoroughly wet.
    2) Placed in my freezer for 48 hours. A thin coating of frost accumulated on the snap hook mechanism. A very small patch of thin sheet of ice accumulated on the cork.
    3) Removed cork from freezer to let it thaw. Did not feel wet or damp as it warmed up to room temperature.
    4) Once it reached room temperature, folded it numberous times, a la ex machina's video, no consequences! No flaking, chipping, breaking of cork. Snapped back beautifully. And it still looks great!

I can finally have peace of mind that the Cork Fabric will wear extremely well in my lake-effect snow part of the world that I live in!!!!!

This test has been concluded.

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post
    This just in: Nikwax works wonderfully on cork. It makes the cork noticeably more water-resistant.
    Woohoo! Another great test concludes with useful data! Thanks, Darcy!

Leave a comment:

• Darcy
    replied
    This just in: Nikwax works wonderfully on cork. It makes the cork noticeably more water-resistant.

Leave a comment:

• falconea
    replied
    Darn - I think I need one of these!

Audrey

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    Great video, ex. I didn't realize the pouch was cork on both sides.* Guess I'll be adding one to my next order (the eventual Synapse Freudian Slip).

*Official clarification needed: The product page says "1000 denier Cordura fabric on the back side." Are they now cork on both sides?
    Glad you like it. I am all smiles with the positive feedback on my little video. I posted my best guess above and am waiting with you for the official statement.

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    Attention TB Staffers

I think that 1000 cordura refers to the inner fabric of the pouch, or the backside of the outside. Both sides = inside/outside (My best guess.)

But that's just my take and not an official TB position. I'd like to hear if I am correct or not from a bona fide TB Staffer.

Leave a comment:

• gmanedit
    replied
    Great video, ex. I didn't realize the pouch was cork on both sides.* Guess I'll be adding one to my next order (the eventual Synapse Freudian Slip).

*Official clarification needed: The product page says "1000 denier Cordura fabric on the back side." Are they now cork on both sides?
    Last edited by gmanedit; 12-02-2009, 02:40 PM. Reason: To add the footnote.

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    Originally posted by maverick View Post
    that's an awesome video, ex machina! it really shows the cork fabric really well! thanks!!
    Couldn't have said it better, this is a really really great video.

Knitter can relate as there is yarn made of bamboo.

Cork is really an amazing fabric and it makes a great "green" statement and each tree layer so each piece of fabric, hence each Tom Bihn Cork product is unique!

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    Originally posted by maverick View Post
    that's an awesome video, ex machina! it really shows the cork fabric really well! thanks!!
    My pleasure, maverick. Glad you like it. I hope it helps clear up some of the conceptual hurdle for those who haven't had the opportunity to experience this material first hand.

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Originally posted by ex machina View Post
    I made a quick video so people can see the flexibility and fabric nature of the cork material.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X