Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,492   Posts: 187,434   Members: 6,453   Active Members: 336
Welcome to our newest member, parisbandarq.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Organizer Pouch - Pen & Pencil version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bltkmt
    replied
    Perfect information! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    Originally posted by bltkmt View Post
    Would the pen & pencil pouch hold a standard razor and a few extra blades? Thinking about using it in my toiletry kit.
    Hi bltkmt, I've been using a medium sized clear pouch for a mini-kit until I get a 3D Clear Organizer Cube. I have a large shaving kit but I don't need everything in it with me every time. So I made up a simpler kit in a medium pouch which I pretty much use as my go-to kit unless I need to use my beard/hair trimmer.

The materials are the same as the pencil case in type and quality (I own the pencil case too.) In the medium pouch I can fit a full size stick deodorant, medium sized toothpaste tube, toothbrush and holder, razor, travel tissue pack, earplugs in a case, travel pack of hand-wipes, and I keep a short key-strap looped on the bags clip. The loop makes it easy to hang on or around an object. So far it is working out well (several months.) The pencil case does not have a huge volume, but it could hold a standard razor and a few blades. Like say a Sensor, or Mach 3 and a 4 track of cartridges I don't see being a problem. Of course, the blade surfaces must be covered at all times while in the bag. I have been using a disposable since around Valentine's Day and I just put the cover back on it after I clean it out. Been working fine that way, and the bag is like new.

BTW, I purchased some excellent architect pencil sharpeners at Staples yesterday. They are metal, and have a very sharp edge. The are in the architect supply section and not near the other pencil sharpeners. They fit quite nicely in the pencil case. They are the kind with no catch basin for the shavings. I had one that used a catch basin but it got crowded in the pencil case with it. These metal ones are dynamite.

Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• bltkmt
    replied
    Would the pen & pencil pouch hold a standard razor and a few extra blades? Thinking about using it in my toiletry kit.

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    I'm always happy to read about satisfied purchasers, particularly as my next order date is approaching. It maintains my confidence in the continuing quality and attention to detail that keeps me coming back to Tom Bihn.

It looks like my plan for my next order to be in March is now pushed back just a bit, to the first week in April. I can live with that; maybe it will prove a boon and my order window will match up with some of the new items in the works? Either way, I have some serious decisions as to what I will be getting. Must be nice to be a billionaire like Branson or Gates, and be able to just look at a catalog as a whole and say 'I'll take it.'

Leave a comment:

• MtnMan
    replied
    I just received my second major purchase from Tom Bihn today, which included a new Side Effect and some new Clear Organizer Pouches, among these a Pen & Pencil Pouch. I have not had time to do anything with these new wares yet, but I'm already impressed.

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Hi MtnMan,

You'd do better to try a local art supply store instead of Office Max for the Stabilo Greenlighter Highlighters. In a pinch you could order online from somewhere like this ArtSuppliesOnline page.

moriond

Leave a comment:

• MtnMan
    replied
    ^ You're not going to believe this, but I just searched for both the Stablio and the Faber Castell highlighter pencils on the OfficeMax web-site and could not find them.

Bummer.

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Originally posted by gmanedit View Post
    Hi, MtnMan.

Years ago I bought a set of Faber-Castell dry Textliners from Levenger. They are excellent—fluorescent in brightness and mostly erasable. They came with a sharpener (they're a little fatter than regular pencils), or you could sharpen them with a knife. They never dry out, because they're dry to start with. I liked not having to worry about capping them.

Levenger no longer sells them. They have their own product (HTTP://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATE...2-3|PageID=165), which is a refill that fits in a rather pricey holder. You could order the refills and mod them with a pencil grip.

For some reason, the Faber-Castell product seems not to be for sale in the U.S. Here is their current version (http://www.penciltalk.org/2009/05/fa...ighting-pencil)—cute! The page has a picture of the version I have. Products by other manufacturers, such as Staedtler, draw less favorable reviews.

This site (http://givegoodgift.ca/?p=1561), in Canada, came up in a search; the page is as recent as last August, but there's no buying information. She gives an email address, so you could ask her what's up. Very reasonably priced.

Meanwhile, Levenger has this page (http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATE...-3|pageid=6403), but I don't know if it's a current offering; it didn't come up in a site-specific search for highlighters. You could call them. The price is even better, but I don't have personal experience with them or the refills above.

It's not a silly question at all. This is a really useful product.
    Hi,

I thought I would mention another dry highlighter option: The Stabilo Greenlighter that was also reviewed at pencil talk (following their discussion of the Faber-Castell Textliner highlighting pencils): http://www.penciltalk.org/2009/06/st...ghting-pencils.
    Last month’s look at the Faber-Castell Textliner pencils elicited a response from a reader in the Netherlands, who asked me to compare them with Stabilo’s new GREENlighter products. Fortunately, the request was accompanied by a set of the pencils!… The presentation and ergonomics are fantastic.…As to highlighting – the results vary by colour. The yellow was excellent – rich and saturated. Side by side with the Faber-Castell textliner, I noticed that the Stabilo didn’t crumble, another plus.
    (The "Green" in the name refers to the fact that it is part of their GREEN range products, with 100% FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified wood, and eco-friendly finish. I've only used the yellow dry highlighter. Since I've bought individual Greenlighters for under $3.00 at my local art supply store, you should be able to find this easily elsewhere.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 02-25-2010, 12:17 PM. Reason: Added direct quote from penciltalk review comparing Stabilo Greenlighter (Yellow) with Faber-Castell Textliner

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    This is an excellent thread, thank you all!

Leave a comment:

• backpack
    replied
    I could only found a UK supplier for the new Faber-Castell-Textliner-Dry-Highlighter

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Fab...ghlighter.html

I have the old version that was sold by Levenger, they are exactly what you are looking for. They last forever, work better than regular highlighters and being pencils can be stored in the car not matter the weather.

Using a dual size pencil sharpened works very well.
    http://www.staples.com/Staples-Dual-...?cmArea=SEARCH

I also use Prismacolor Col-Erase Erasable Colored Pencils

They are regular size pencils available in erasable color, they work well in all weather and during travel.(no worry about drying out and the liquid transport on flights)

http://www.prismacolor.com/sanford/c...acolor/product

Leave a comment:

• MtnMan
    replied
    Thank you for the references. I will be keeping them in mind.

I'm thinking about investing in some clear organizer pouches, some space pens, and maybe some dry-highlighters and pencils to go with them for the gloveboxes of various vehicles. I won't make a more on there items for at least 2-3 weeks, though.

It's nice to know I'll have an interesting selection to choose from when I get there.

Thanks again,

--The Mountain Man

Leave a comment:

• gmanedit
    replied
    Hi, MtnMan.

Years ago I bought a set of Faber-Castell dry Textliners from Levenger. They are excellent—fluorescent in brightness and mostly erasable. They came with a sharpener (they're a little fatter than regular pencils), or you could sharpen them with a knife. They never dry out, because they're dry to start with. I liked not having to worry about capping them.

Levenger no longer sells them. They have their own product (HTTP://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATE...2-3|PageID=165), which is a refill that fits in a rather pricey holder. You could order the refills and mod them with a pencil grip.

For some reason, the Faber-Castell product seems not to be for sale in the U.S. Here is their current version (http://www.penciltalk.org/2009/05/fa...ighting-pencil)—cute! The page has a picture of the version I have. Products by other manufacturers, such as Staedtler, draw less favorable reviews.

This site (http://givegoodgift.ca/?p=1561), in Canada, came up in a search; the page is as recent as last August, but there's no buying information. She gives an email address, so you could ask her what's up. Very reasonably priced.

Meanwhile, Levenger has this page (http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATE...-3|pageid=6403), but I don't know if it's a current offering; it didn't come up in a site-specific search for highlighters. You could call them. The price is even better, but I don't have personal experience with them or the refills above.

It's not a silly question at all. This is a really useful product.
    Last edited by gmanedit; 02-17-2010, 09:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MtnMan
    replied
    Here's a silly question: does anyone know of a highlighter that doesn't dry out (i.e., works like a space pen)? Does such a writing utensil exist? I'm just wondering if it would be possible to carry some kind of highlighter in a Clear Organizer Pouch in a car's glovebox and not have to worry about it going dry from sitting in there indefinitely.

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    I have the pouch and I have used Fisher space pens. For a while Space Pen refills where my refill of choice in all my pens. There is no better emergency pen IMO. The space pen is used on all US space flights since Apollo 7. The Russians use them too. The space pens use a thixotropic rosin ink so it is solid until you try to write with it. No leaks. A shelf life that is longer than the life of car. You can read about them, and order them too, at spacepen.com.

After using the pencil pouch for a while I can say that the use you described seems a good fit. I used it for a while as a pencil/pen case with a sharpener. A difficulty I encountered was that the pencil sharpener would open up and leak shaving and graphite dust all over the bag, coating my instruments. My solution was to scotch tape the sharpener closed, and add a scotch tape flap to the sharpening hole. No more leaks.

Currently I keep the pencils in the pencil case (with a Papermate black pearl eraser). The bulkier items (sharpener, stapler, various highlighters, pens, tape, etc.), I keep in an indigo Kit.

Leave a comment:

• Foggy Morn
    replied
    I keep my Pulse Pen in mine, so it's not usually filled to capacity, but I'm sure you could do what you want. Can't answer about the cold (for which I am utterly grateful).

The hook is integral to the design, so the only way to remove it would be to snip it off. There would be a small loop (that it attaches to) left over that you couldn't really get rid of because of the design.

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X