Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,301   Posts: 197,936   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 177
Welcome to our newest member, thefrillyhell.

Next generation TriStar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rabergnc
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2007

Next generation TriStar?

Hi TB crew - Are there any plans for a TriStar-like bag but without the backpack straps? Perhaps using the strap pocket for larger, thin, flat objects? I have found in a number of recent trips that the Synapse is an ideal personal item for my laptop and other things - I fear I will never truly be a one bagger.... I prefer not to wear a bag front and back! If I am not going to use the straps, I'd rather be able to devote the weight and space to something else.

I know I can always remove the straps but that is such an inelegant solution, and I would feel terrible violating a TriStar like that!! I also could get a bag like an Air Boss but I prefer the materials and design features you folk use. Perhaps there are not enough of us to make this idea profitable for y'all??
  • MtnMan
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2009

I would suggest instead of re-designing the Tri-Star without backpack straps, maybe it would be best to change the backpack strap setup itself to be removable. So if those "warrior buckle" snaps can be used for attaching the straps at the bottom of the bag, maybe a second set could be employed to attach/remove the straps at the top. And make the buckles for the top different that the ones at the bottom, so that people would not attach the straps upside-down.

In this way, the straps could be completely removed from the Tri-Star if so desired. But the bag could still serve as a backpack when needed.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Comment

• KarlJ
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2008

Capital suggestion, MtnMan. May I do it one better? Like rabergnc, I too had thought of how nice it would be to eschew the backpack straps in my TriStar and Aeronaut.

The warrior buckles sound like a possibility, but they may be a bit bulky... what about gatekeeper clips; use gatekeepers (maybe a little wider to better match the width of the backpack straps) to secure the top part of the backpack straps to the bag. Thus you would have completely removeable backpack straps in the same manner you have removable waist straps.
      Karl

Comment

• falconea
        Forum Member
        • Dec 2007

I doubt that any clip would easily hold the top of backpack straps - this is the point where all the weight is held and the strap needs to be very well attached to the bag. The Tristar has the top of the straps attached to both the top and the sides of the bag - you can see this in photo X and photo Z3 on the Tristar page. It needs to be that secure.

I've found in practise that I always use the Tristar as a backpack. I've stopped packing an Absolute Strap in it.

Audrey

Comment

• pycraft
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by rabergnc View Post
          Hi TB crew - Are there any plans for a TriStar-like bag but without the backpack straps? Perhaps using the strap pocket for larger, thin, flat objects? I have found in a number of recent trips that the Synapse is an ideal personal item for my laptop and other things - I fear I will never truly be a one bagger.... I prefer not to wear a bag front and back! If I am not going to use the straps, I'd rather be able to devote the weight and space to something else. I know I can always remove the straps but that is such an inelegant solution, and I would feel terrible violating a TriStar like that!! I also could get a bag like an Air Boss but I prefer the materials and design features you folk use. Perhaps there are not enough of us to make this idea profitable for y'all??
          I'd like to second that (either for the Tristar or the Western Flyer). I use airlines which get very shirty about carry-on weight (Virgin Atlantic anyone?) and when faced with a limit around the 14lb mark (and a 17" laptop to cart) the extra grams do add up.

Since we're on a roll on this one, if the shoulder straps are a "delete" option, the zipper should be moved to the top for use as a slip pocket for magazines etc, preferably with a 2-zip opening for use over a roller handle (probably more sensible on the WF).

Comment

• maverick
            Volunteer *********
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by falconea View Post
            I doubt that any clip would easily hold the top of backpack straps - this is the point where all the weight is held and the strap needs to be very well attached to the bag. The Tristar has the top of the straps attached to both the top and the sides of the bag - you can see this in photo X and photo Z3 on the Tristar page. It needs to be that secure.

I've found in practise that I always use the Tristar as a backpack. I've stopped packing an Absolute Strap in it.

Audrey
            i have to agree with audrey here. i would be concerned about the use of clips for the top end of the strap. i personally also find myself opting to carry the tri-star, aeronaut and western flyer using the backpack straps for any length of time because they allow the weight to be spread across my back.

the fact that i have carried an aeronaut as a backpack, a western flyer on one shoulder and an aeronaut on another shoulder all at the same time is a different matter altogether .

also, if you've continued to grow sideways after stopping to grow upwards like i have, i'm sure you can also appreciate that carrying a bag as a backpack is helpful when you make your way down the isle of an airplane or train or any other narrow situation.
            -m

Comment

• Adi
              Forum Member
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by pycraft View Post
              ...Since we're on a roll on this one, if the shoulder straps are a "delete" option, the zipper should be moved to the top for use as a slip pocket for magazines etc, preferably with a 2-zip opening for use over a roller handle (probably more sensible on the WF).
              I'd order a Western Flyer or Tristar in a second if I could get either without the backpack straps and with the two-zip opening so I could put it safely on my check-through when I leave the airport.

Comment

• michael
                Forum Member
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by falconea View Post

Audrey
                Actually, I would think there are plenty of clips that can hold a simple bag and its contents (no matter what weight a reasonable person could fill it with). I'll explain further, I'm a scuba diver and there are many BCD's (buoyancy compensation device) out there that use simple tri-glides and fastex buckles without problems. We would typically be carrying in the region of 40lbs or more with no issues with broken buckles.

I would think that a removable option would be better as TB would then only need to make the one bag. Sew in the tri-glides into the top of the bag and have the straps go through them and then through another tri-glide in the top of the strap. So if you remove the straps, only the tri-glide is left on the bag.

Comment

• KarlJ
                  Forum Member
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by michael View Post
                  Actually, I would think there are plenty of clips that can hold a simple bag and its contents (no matter what weight a reasonable person could fill it with). I'll explain further, I'm a scuba diver and there are many BCD's (buoyancy compensation device) out there that use simple tri-glides and fastex buckles without problems. We would typically be carrying in the region of 40lbs or more with no issues with broken buckles.
                  I’d say you’re right, Michael (and I say this with all due respect to Tom Bihn’s design and expertise).

One only need look at the TriStar itself; specifically, the shoulder strap attachment points. Upon examination of the gatekeeper clips used on the waist straps, the shoulder strap attachment hardware by comparison appears to be made of the same material as the single gatekeepers, which are available in a larger size so as to accommodate a wider strap. Now, if that shoulder strap mounting is strong enough to support what would presumably be a well loaded TriStar by means of a single shoulder strap, then it seems likely that they would easily support that same weight if two straps (i.e., shoulder straps) were bearing the load.
                  Karl

Comment

• backpack
                    Forum Member
                    • Feb 2006

I would think that a removable option would be better as TB would then only need to make the one bag. Sew in the tri-glides into the top of the bag and have the straps go through them and then through another tri-glide in the top of the strap. So if you remove the straps, only the tri-glide is left on the bag.
                    Michael you need to get together with Lee, the person who takes care of the buckles, zippers and pieces of webbing. It means he is also in charge of the O rings... He better get the dogs to guard his work station when I visit

If you could show a pictures of those tri-glides it would be helpful, are they bulky?
                    Last edited by backpack; 05-13-2010, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• michael
                      Forum Member
                      • Apr 2010

No, definitely not bulky, in fact they are already used by TB on the Absolute Strap to adjust the length of it.

I hate hot-linking an image, but I don't think it would heavily trafficked anyway, but here is a picture of metal tri-glides (used on some BCD's):

Here is one in plastic (used in the majority of consumer BCD's):

What I would propose is that the strapping attaches one side of the tri-glide to the bag and then the shoulder straps attach to the other exposed side of the tri-glide... clear as mud?

Comment

• pretzelb
                        Forum Member
                        • Aug 2007

As someone who tried the Air Boss, I have to say the backpack straps need to stay. I'm in pretty good shape but I have a very low tolerance for putting 20 lbs on one side of my body. The only scenario I can see where I would not use the backpack straps is if I had a larger bag that also had backpack straps which would mean I had that larger bag on my back. If the Tri-Star is my large bag then it needs those straps IMHO. My second (lighter) bag will be then be on my shoulder or in my hands. I'm fairly certain that Red Oxx created the Sky Train just because the one shoulder effect of the Air Boss.
                        Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

Comment

• backpack
                          Forum Member
                          • Feb 2006

Michael, great pictures!

I started to do a quote but didn't want to duplicate the pictures so I answer here.

The tri-glide in plastic is indeed already used at Tom Bihn so your idea is to attach the bag side of the webbing on one side of the tri-glide and the strap side of the webbing on the other side of the tri-glide.

Am I right?

Comment

• michael
                            Forum Member
                            • Apr 2010

Yep exactly right. It would take a little longer to thread the backstraps in place, but I don't think many people would constantly be un-threading and re-threading. They'd most likely keep the straps on permanently or off permanently, or if they want the straps only sometimes, then they'd use it exactly as they do now (by unbuckling the fastex buckles and hiding the straps).

Comment

• backpack
                              Forum Member
                              • Feb 2006

Yep exactly right. It would take a little longer to thread the backstraps in place, but I don't think many people would constantly be un-threading and re-threading. They'd most likely keep the straps on permanently or off permanently, or if they want the straps only sometimes, then they'd use it exactly as they do now (by unbuckling the fastex buckles and hiding the straps).
                              This is a mighty smart idea.

It would keep everybody happy, the ones who want big bags on their backs such as myself for small trips and the ones who want to check a bigger bag for bigger trip especially in Europe where everything goes by weight.

Now, we have to hear from Tom himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X