Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,580   Posts: 188,310   Members: 6,539   Active Members: 284
Welcome to our newest member, QQYFodil79.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man bag / Airplane personal item

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gmanedit
    replied
    Doesn't look like it. The Co-Pilot product page says 12" x 10" x 5". The case of my MacBook measures just under 13 inches.

Also, without a waist strap, the Co-Pilot doesn't sound ideal for biking.

Enjoy the Synapse.

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    Originally posted by TimK65 View Post
    ...and now I've just seen the Co-Pilot. I might prefer that one. I actually have a question about it: would a 13" Macbook fit in it, either in a Brain Cell or just loose? (Obviously I know putting a Macbook loose into a bag isn't necessarily the best idea, but I'd like to know whether it's even an option.)

Thanks,
    Tim
    hi tim,

the co-pilot is sized to carry an ipad or a netbook in a horizontal cache.

the 13" macbook's dimensions are 13" x 9.12" x 1.08". the imago, ristretto and large cafe bag are better suited for carrying a 13" macbook.

Leave a comment:

• TimK65
    replied
    Co-Pilot?

...and now I've just seen the Co-Pilot. I might prefer that one. I actually have a question about it: would a 13" Macbook fit in it, either in a Brain Cell or just loose? (Obviously I know putting a Macbook loose into a bag isn't necessarily the best idea, but I'd like to know whether it's even an option.)

Thanks,
    Tim

Leave a comment:

• TimK65
    replied
    I'll have to post pics later, but:

I got my Synapse today. I've just swapped my stuff from the Brain Bag to the Synapse while I'm home for lunch.

The Synapse holds everything I really need from the Brain Bag, even when I cycle, so I think it's going to work out really well as an everyday bag. There's room for a pair of tennis shoes, even with the main compartment currently holding a U-lock and rain jacket, and I'm pretty sure there's also room for me to bring home dirty clothes in that space on the days I cycle (when I wouldn't have tennis shoes in that compartment).

Love it so far!

Leave a comment:

• ex machina
    replied
    Congrats TimK65; hope you post some pics!

Leave a comment:

• TimK65
    replied
    Well, I ordered an indigo Synapse today. Now the wait begins.... Thanks to all of you for helping me with my decision.

Best,
    Tim

Leave a comment:

• bltkmt
    replied
    Yes. While I like it, I find it small for my needs. PM me if interested? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• gmich
    replied
    bltkmt,

Are you really interested in possibly trading/selling your navy Synapse? I've been waiting to buy one but they've been back-ordered for quite a while.

Leave a comment:

• TimK65
    replied
    Hi moriond!

In my mind, during the progress of this thread, I've kind of been leaning toward a Synapse simply because I'm more accustomed to using a backpack than a shoulder bag. Then again, I have to say that when I used my Super Ego for the first time right after I got it, I really liked the ease of access and the ability to bind it with the waist strap (something I've just never done with backpacks) and not feel like I was toting an elephant, but rather like it was part of my body, since it then moved with me. Of course the Synapse is small enough that I wouldn't likely get the "turn right, backpack swings left" effect to the same extent with it. And I like the flexibility of the Synapse that you describe.

As for colors, my Brain Bag is in sapphire because when I got it, indigo was not an option. A friend who I've converted to the Church of Bihn got his Brain Bag in indigo and I was rather envious. So if I go with a Synapse, I'm definitely looking at indigo.

Thanks!
    Tim

Leave a comment:

• moriond
    replied
    Hi,

For what you describe, I'd concur with rabergnc that a Synapse would do very well. Of the three bags you're considering, it has the largest an most flexiblly configurable storage capacity (as far as holding oddly shaped items like shoes). As bltkmt mentions, it's much smaller than a Smart Alec -- about half the volume, but looks smaller. Most people initially think it's rather small, but then are surprised at how much it holds.

The inside is lined with Dyneema, which would also work better for carrying your tennis shoes, and you could fit a pair into the inside pocket in the main compartment. If you're not carrying a water bottle, I'd stash your eReader in the top center front pocket, which is where I carry my Kindle and iPod Touch. (If you look at this blog picture of the Synapse in navy, it's the pocket with the plastic tube emerging.) This pocket can also hold your iPod. The small, zippered pocket just in front of it could hold your Advil, or you could store that in one of the side pockets, and use that pocket for a Clear organizer wallet or other small pouch.

The Bose noise-canceling headphones can go into the main compartment, and your 3-D Clear Organizer cube can go into the bottom front pocket of the Synapse, or you can store your Side Effect there.. (I usually carry one 3-D Clear Organizer Cube in the bottom front pocket and a second one inside the main compartment of my Synapse, along with my MacBook; they're a very convenient size for holding the power brick.) You can carry your Mobile phone in one of the side pockets (in the ultra-suede pocket) or, you could use that pocket for glasses. I also like the pen compartments in the side pocket -- which makes it easy when you have to fill out customs forms or documents.

If you like Sapphire for your Brain Bag, you'll probably like either the navy Synapse (shown in the earlier linked blog post), or the Synapse in Indigo pictured in forum posts. My Synapse is Indigo, though I really like the Navy, too. I have a Sapphire Buzz, and I think I like both the Navy and Indigo colors even more than the Sapphire.

moriond

P.S. For another visual comparison of the sizes of the Synapse and Brain Bag, take a look at the pictures gmich posted in the Synapse and Side Effect in central NY snow thread. Relative size is difficult to calibrate, since he's 6 feet tall (wearing the Brain Bag) and she's about 5'2'' (wearing the Synapse), and neither is in the same picture. However, you can get a feeling of relative bag size by looking at the Side Effect that she's carrying. Or, you can look at the pictures an older forum thread called One-bagging with the Aeronaut where they're both wearing Aeronauts.

Leave a comment:

• TimK65
    replied
    Hmm. Now I'm back to the point of indecision! Synapse, Imago or Medium/Large Café Bag?

Can I just mention something that's struck me before, but that I haven't had a chance to mention? I've just looked at all these bags on the main Web site, and I believe the photos of the Imago make it look MUCH smaller than it actually is. Tom Bihn folks, you might want to try to fix this.

Anyway, how does one choose among these bags? Would it help y'all help me if I said the following things appeal to me:
    - The many many pockets on the Synapse.
    - For the Imago and Café Bag, the ability to access stuff without taking the bag off my shoulder. (This is one thing I love about my Super Ego as well.)

Best,
    Tim
    Last edited by TimK65; 03-23-2010, 04:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• flitcraft
    replied
    Have you thought about the Imago? Because it's a horizontal messenger style bag, it looks more like a "personal item" than another backpack, but it holds more than a large cafe bag. It's my personal item of choice these days. You can put a magazine, newspaper, paperback, or standard paper file in the back pocket for easy access. I store my eyeglasses in one of the ultra-suede side pockets while I'm (trying to) snooze on the plane, with the other used to store a zip-lock baggie of stuff I want immediate access to--a set of ear plugs, some Ricola cough sweets, a small container of ibuprofen and antacids in case I need them, an eyemask, and a packet of tissues. In the outside zippered pocket under the buckle flap is my back-up stash of American cash (in case my ATM card fails to work abroad it will tide me over for a day or two) and one credit card (in case my wallet gets lost or stolen), a xerox copy of my passport and a list of phone numbers to call in case my bank card and credit cards go missing abroad. In the non-zippered pocket, I have my flight itinerary and boarding pass and my hotel confirmations and my 'freshen up' packet of lip balm, toothbrush, lipstick, and touch-up concealer and foundation.

Inside there is plenty of room for my computer, Ipod, noise cancelling headphones, assorted pens, minipurse containing my passport wallet, a pad of paper, waterbottle, and miscellanuous snacks.

It can carry a lot more than that, but that's my typical "personal item" configuration.

Leave a comment:

• rabergnc
    replied
    Originally posted by TimK65 View Post
    Hey bitkmt,

I think *any* backpack is going to do this.
    FWIW, I have traveled cross country and regionally on CRJs and regular jets a bunch over the last few months with my Synapse as a personal item. It has never gotten even a second look from the gate or flight crews. Fits easily overhead or under the seat, even when there is an entertainment unit. Much more easily than lots of other backpacks and standard briefcases. If you're considering the Synapse, don't let the size being too large for a personal item hold you back. I typically carry a Macbook, Kindle, power brick, adapters, cables and lots of papers/files, etc. (Still has a bunch of room in it.)
    Last edited by rabergnc; 03-23-2010, 11:04 AM. Reason: just like to see my words on the screen - also clarification

Leave a comment:

• bltkmt
    replied
    No, the Synapse is quite a bit smaller than the Smart Alec...about 500 cubic inches I think. Mine is navy blue.

Leave a comment:

• TimK65
    replied
    Hey bitkmt,

I guess this, from my initial post, wasn't clear enough:

My experience has been that even a backpack as small as my Smart Alec triggers the "second bag" alarms in the brains of airline staff, so I'd like to find something even smaller.
    I think *any* backpack is going to do this. And isn't the Synapse larger than the Smart Alec? Not that I haven't lusted for a Synapse! Maybe we should think about a trade. Hmm. What color is your Synapse? My Brain Bag is sapphire.

Best,
    Tim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X