Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,302   Posts: 197,944   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 177
Welcome to our newest member, MollyyEvelynn.

Need Advice - Which Bag is Best For Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ams123
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2010

Need Advice - Which Bag is Best For Me?

I'm wondering which bag would be best for me. I carry a lot of stuff every day as you can see in the photo. My netbook, water, coffee thermos, coffee mug, bottled tea, lunchbox, breakfast in my thermos (yes, lots of food and drink), files, kindle, blackberry, folders, mouse pad and mouse, stuff in my purse, purse (which can be folded up, but I like to have a separate purse in case I go out during the day I won't have to carry my giant bag).

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

• gmanedit
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2008

What's your preferred style: backpack, tote, messenger bag?

Comment

• ams123
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2010

I am currently using a tote, and while it is convenient I find it very floppy. Also there are no interior or exterior pockets. Things tend to move around a lot in it which I don't like. So I'm not sure if it is the tote style that I don't like, or this particular tote that I am using. I do prefer a little bit of structure in my bag.

A messenger bag sounds appealing.

Comment

• mep
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2010

From trying to make that decision for myself (even though I am a guy), I think that the ID would probably be your best bet. I think that the Ego, which is what i have, would work extremely well for you, however it looks more manly and a little more casual. Good luck in your research.

Comment

• ams123
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2010

Thanks, I'll check that one out.

Comment

• Shiva
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2009

Hi:
            I think the Large Cafe Bag would work well for these items. You can stand up stuff in it much easier I think; and it would not slosh or move around too much. An Imago might work too. I would think an ID might be too big for this. Not sure if the Ristretto would work cos of the padding. Maybe, the new co-pilot?!

Comment

• JohnDel
              Forum Member
              • May 2009

My suggestion is to set the netbook, kindle and notebooks on their edges, held up by the thermoses, mugs, bottle and lunchbox and arrange all the items on the table into a compact cubical layout. Then using a tape measure or ruler measure the height, length and width of the arrangement and calculate its volume (height times length times width).

You can compare the calculated volume to the volumes given in the bag descriptions and at least know which ones will be too small. It should also give you an idea of major bag dimensions you'll need. The folders will need something at least 9-1/2" by 12" to fit into.

It will be a rough estimate, not an exact answer, but will give you something to compare to the various bag sizes.

Comment

• ex machina
                Forum Member
                • Dec 2008

I think JohnDel has given excellent advice. Determining your volume needs will be a big help in selecting the correct bag.

I would like to suggest the Shop Bag as your 'purse in the purse'. It has two side pockets that can hold two liter bottles, which may prove useful for excursions to eat outdoors and while allowing you to do shopping as well.

Also, I have a Large Cafe Bag and the picture posted looks to me to be too much stuff for it. The food and drink is just too voluminous and sets the sizing over the top, imho. I also have an Imago, and I think that too would be at best a tight fit if at all, for the same reason.

I suspect the ID in Black/Indigo/Steel, supplemented by the Shop Bag would suit your purposes. I do not own an ID myself and defer to others here who do. I do own a Shop Bag and it is a wonderful item which I use often. I use it for my food shopping and generally when out at a store. It's gotten so that I find using the store given plastic bags has become distasteful. Yes, TB has spoiled me. :P

If you are considering bags outside the messenger style, you may find the Empire Builder briefcase fits the bill, too.

Then again, perhaps an... Aeronaut? j/k Good luck with your bag quest, and please let us know what you decide. Good hunting!
                Bags: Latest: Pop Tote and Shop Bag (large) ; also have a Co-Pilot, Super Ego (w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut; Medium Cafe Bag; Large Cafe Bag; Brain Cell; Shop Bag small, (Steel); Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. Accessories: Oh yeah, bunches.
                Sadly Lost to Hazmat: An Imago in Steel/Cork & MCB in Linen/Olive.
                " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Comment

• gmanedit
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2008

Second JohnDel's suggestion. The food and drink containers may be too much for the Large Cafe Bag. Take a look at the Swift—it's not just a knitting bag.

ex, I have adopted your shopping style. I just put everything in the Shop Bag. It's a lot easier than dealing with the rigid store totes.

Comment

• crpeck
                    Forum Member
                    • Dec 2009

I 2nd JohnDel's suggestion - but - you may want to use a box to arrange the items in, just start standing them up in one corner of the box. You can arrange them any way you want, to see how they will fit in various bags. The sides of the box will also keep things from tipping over.

Comment

• ams123
                      Forum Member
                      • Apr 2010

Great ideas about measuring the volume of my items. Yes, my food and drink tend to be voluminous! I try not to eat out or stop to pick up food or drink, so I tend to carry lots with me.

I also never use grocery store bags, I keep reusable bags in my car. They are made of parachute material (nylon?) and can be folded or rolled into very small bundles. No pockets in them though. I'll have to check out the shop bag - pockets sound great.

There are so many choices! Thank you for your help, I'll keep you posted.

Comment

• ams123
                        Forum Member
                        • Apr 2010

I decided to order the Ego. I like the sleek look of the ID, but I could always use that bit of extra room, so hopefully the Ego will suit my needs. I got the upgraded strap which hopefully will be more comfortable on my shoulders. Thank you everyone for your great advice - I hope this works out!

Comment

• ex machina
                          Forum Member
                          • Dec 2008

Wonderful choice. Please let us know how it worked out. Good luck!
                          Bags: Latest: Pop Tote and Shop Bag (large) ; also have a Co-Pilot, Super Ego (w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut; Medium Cafe Bag; Large Cafe Bag; Brain Cell; Shop Bag small, (Steel); Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. Accessories: Oh yeah, bunches.
                          Sadly Lost to Hazmat: An Imago in Steel/Cork & MCB in Linen/Olive.
                          " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Comment

Working...
                          X