Tri-Star/Western Flyer water bottle pocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-Star/Western Flyer water bottle pocket

Regarding the curved, zippered water bottle pocket on the exterior of the Tom Bihn Tri-Star and Western Flyer travel luggage:

For those who carry these suitcases as backpacks, and have little interest in carrying a water bottle in that pocket, I'm wondering what other uses there are for that pocket if it is free.

Any ideas?
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

that pocket is great for your travel documents, a travel book, a rolled up magazine, a small fold up umbrella, snacks - really, anything that will fit and that you want quick access to.
    -m

Comment

Great. Thanks for the insight.

Is this pocket still useful in backpack mode? Is there any trick necessary for storing things in there while in backpack mode?

I'm also wondering if there is any "o" ring inside of that pocket.
      Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
        Is there any trick necessary for storing things in there while in backpack mode?
        Zip it closed?
        I'm also wondering if there is any "o" ring inside of that pocket.
        Nope, no o-ring.
        Karl

Comment

KarlJ - I think MtnMan is referring to the open "scoop" pocket, not the newest version with a zipper.

I've found that it is largely unusable when in backpack mode.

Comment

Actually, I've never seen a Western Flyer or Tri-Star in person, so I'm still trying to understand how that pocket ("new" or "old" version) works in backpack applications.

Maybe someone could post some photos to illustrate this; I'm still confused.

T.I.A.

The Mountain Man

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMan View Post
              Actually, I've never seen a Western Flyer or Tri-Star in person, so I'm still trying to understand how that pocket ("new" or "old" version) works in backpack applications.

Maybe someone could post some photos to illustrate this; I'm still confused.

T.I.A.

The Mountain Man
              Here's a video demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLBNBNCDc2Y

Comment

Does the water bottle pocket stretch all of the way to the seam where the two (WF)/three (TS) zippers start?

Comment

Yes it does. Are you thinking of a particular size of item to put in there? Beyond the size of the pocket, what you could put in there would only be limited by the size of the opening.

Hope this helps
                  Cheers!
                  TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Thanks for your response. I would probably use it for storing a 3-1-1 bag or perhaps a shell jacket.

Comment

Working...
                    X