Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,531   Posts: 187,828   Members: 6,494   Active Members: 288
Welcome to our newest member, elvinnarthur.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

synapse bag pocket question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

synapse bag pocket question...

when you take a peek inside the two vertical outside pockets, you can see a hole that leads into the water bottle compartment. i wonder why this hole inside this pocket has not been sown closed? does this hole serve a specific purpose?

thanks,

b.f.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

one thing you'll find with the bags that tom bihn makes is that even the smallest, seemingly insignificant detail is not without purpose.

tom can best answer this question, but i would venture to guess that it helps the bag retain a natural shape when the front pockets aren't full.
    -m

Comment

It's certainly for construction reasons, if you look at the spot, you'll see that it would be a multi layer sewing. As the sides of the bottle pocket are not waterproof you don't need to close these holes anyway.

Comment

i think the holes, there are in fact two holes at the bottom of each pocket, are there so that when you put a bottle inside the bottle compartment, you get the corners of the bottle tucked in securely. it's like if you had a square bottle, each of the corner of the bottom of the bottle would neatly fit into the holes and actually the holes aren't really inside the vertical pockets, the 4 holes are part of the bottle compartment mesh fabric, if you know what i mean.
        aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Comment

I'm with ratdeau—my guess is that it was a manufacturing decision. (Maybe so it could be sewn inside-out and turned outside-in?)

This is like the blind men and the elephant.

Comment

Working...
          X