Synik 30? Aeronaut 30? Both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synik 30? Aeronaut 30? Both?

I'm really torn. I bought a A30 which I have never used. Still has the tags on it. haha. I bought it for trips 4 days or longer which I really haven't done like I thought I would. When I do travel its usually for 1-3 days. I think I want a real back pack for this purpose as I like using a backpack but the one I have been using, an old Tumi, has limited space. I am 6' tall and have been thinking of getting a Synik 30 and selling the A30 but am I just kind of buying the same thing? I like the organization of the Synik though. I thought of getting the Synik 22 but was advised that this might be too small for my frame? I am so confused now I dont know that to get. Can anyone advise me? If I do decide to sell the A30 is there a sell forum here? I didn't see one. Thank you in advance.

You do not mention if you travel with a laptop - do you? The Synik has a dedicated laptop compartment. If you do not necessarily need that and are looking in the 22-30 liter range, then maybe the Synapse 25 backpack (no laptop compartment though) might be an option as well. I love mine.
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Comment

I do not travel with a laptop. I do like the clamshell design of the Synik and a couple of the other improvements though. I guess I’m wondering if it will be too big for a 1-3 day trip and/or too small for a longer trip. Probably over thinking it.

Comment

Hi jawjah. Have you had the chance to test pack the A30 for different types of trips. Perhaps using summer/winter
        options. Perhaps with gifts plus clothes to replicate bringing back gifts. Perhaps with different types of shoes... if I'm travelling to a rainy place I really appreciate having an extra pair of shoes and they need extra space

I love my a30 because
        -don't travel with a laptop
        -shoes are seperate
        -always use a handbag for day bag so no need for a backpack
        - always stay at least 3 nights in any one place and like to use the bag as a "dresser drawer"

If you are a "backpack person" for day trips then maybe order the synik and test pack side by side? TB has a very active members community that will gladly buy sell and trade bags. Members only section (within forum) plus Facebook TB groups.

Comment

Those are great points in favor of the A30. I think its a bit much for a shorter 1-3 day trip though. For that size trip what would you guys recommend. Here is a sample packing list for a 3 day trip.
          Misc:
          • Sunglasses
          • Suntan Lotion
          • Hat
          • Sunpass
          • Regular Glasses
          • Pillow?
          • Bed?

Bathroom:
          • Contact Lenses
          • Toothpaste
          • Shaver
          • Toothbrush
          • Deodorant
          • Floss
          • Nail Clippers
          • Tweezers
          • Sleep Mask

Medical:
          • Tylenol
          • Ibuprofen
          • Benadryl
          • BP Pills
          • Vitamins
          • Bandaids

Electronics:
          • Ear Buds
          • Watch
          • Watch Charger
          • Long Charger Cord
          • Ear Buds
          • Bluetooth Speaker and Charger

Clothes:
          • Wear: sneakers, jeans, golf shirt, hat
          • Flip Flops
          • Swim Suit
          • Belt
          • 2 T Shirts
          • 1 Golf Shirt
          • 1 Long slacks
          • 2 shorts
          • 2 socks
          • 2 boxers

Comment

Welcome to the Forums jawjuh

If you're not going to regularly carry a laptop, the two Syniks may be more than you need in terms of weight & cost. I would consider - as mentioned above - the Synapse 25 instead.

You may also want to look at the larger Brain Bag which has a different style & organization than the Synapse.

And yet more options to mull over are the Shadow Guides 23 or 33, which have minimal organization but can swallow a lot of stuff, especially if you like packing with cubes or stuff sacks....

I love my A30 but I feel it's a duffel first with a nice backpack option for wandering around but it's not a backpack first... so depends on your preference.

And, as to your thread title, it's a dangerous question - we tend to enable people to Buy All The Bags

I myself have significantly more backpacks than I have backs to carry them on
            Last edited by G42; 03-22-2021, 07:50 PM.
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
              Welcome to the Forums jawjuh

And, as to your thread title, it's a dangerous question - we tend to enable people to Buy All The Bags

:
              +1

I (approximately) packed your list into shadow guide 33 and it was less than half full. My clothes are smaller than yours, however I added one extra pair of slacks on top.

Comment

Thank you all very much. Think I’ll keep the A30 and add probably the Synapse 25. I really appreciate all your help. 😊

Comment

Originally posted by jawjuh View Post
                  Thank you all very much. Think I’ll keep the A30 and add probably the Synapse 25. I really appreciate all your help. 😊
                  jawjuh, Your post reminded me of @Badger’s 05-12-2016 thread:

Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...-summer-travel

One of the later uses was a 3 day/2 night weekend trip to Chicago. I’ll also note that she used the A30 packing cubes, although the all Aether versions shown there have since been switched to Aether/mesh combos, as I commented at the end of that thread.

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                    jawjuh, Your post reminded me of @Badger’s 05-12-2016 thread:

Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...-summer-travel

One of the later uses was a 3 day/2 night weekend trip to Chicago. I’ll also note that she used the A30 packing cubes, although the all Aether versions shown there have since been switched to Aether/mesh combos, as I commented at the end of that thread.

moriond
                    That was a great thread! Thank you for sending that. I think my decision is made!

Comment

Working...
                    X