Cafe Bags - praises & uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Selcouth View Post
    I have my eyes on an SCB or MCB, but I'm not sure which. I'm 6 foot and my main goal is a bag I can wear in shops that isn't as intimidating as my huge backpack. I'm leaning towards an SCB but I want to have the option to carry an 11" iPad Pro in a pinch and I'm worried that would be way too tight.
    The SCB would work size wise, but I usually prefer the MCB when I take my iPad with me. It’s just less stuffed and I have more room for other things and can easily get things in and out. Here’s a comparison I did with SCB and MCB and my iPad a while ago: https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...992#post281992

Comment

Random question for Darcy or moriond or whomever might know/remember - why are the straps attached for the Small and Medium Cafe Bags but not for the Large? Presumption of possible weight so having a padded strap as an option...?
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby View Post
        Hi Selcouth, this thread on IPads and the SCB might be interesting for you. 11'' iPad Pro should be no problem in the SCB! BTW: I am also 6 ft and I love my SCB! It's just right size for a lazy day in town when you only want to carry the bare necessities in a classy looking bag (mine is in Deep Blue/Coyote).
        Originally posted by b1gsky View Post
        The SCB would work size wise, but I usually prefer the MCB when I take my iPad with me. It’s just less stuffed and I have more room for other things and can easily get things in and out. Here’s a comparison I did with SCB and MCB and my iPad a while ago: https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...992#post281992
        Thanks for the references, that helps. I read that a 3DOC pretty much fills an SCB which was surprising to me. I suppose it's the same situation for a size 1 HLT?
        UPDATE: If you find this message, this is not true. Keep scrolling through this post to find the 3DOC or HLT1 take up roughly half of a SCB.
        Last edited by Selcouth; 04-02-2021, 02:48 PM.
        Solaris ALL THE THINGS!

Comment

Today I went out to enjoy spring in the vineyards. The SCB is the perfect companion for that: holds my camera, sunglasses, car keys, face mask, etc. and looks awesome!

Click image for larger version  Name:	CB130FE0-6BD7-432A-A268-838D8A3EBBB9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	767.0 KB ID:	330601
          Last edited by bartleby; 04-02-2021, 11:46 AM.
          ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
          current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Noticed halcyon is not an option for the Cafe bags. Is it because of the shortage?

Comment

Thanks for the references, that helps. I read that a 3DOC pretty much fills an SCB which was surprising to me. I suppose it's the same situation for a size 1 HLT?
              Hi Selcouth, no, the 3DOC as well as the 1 HLT fill quite exactly half of the volume of the SCB. I took two quick shots to illustrate that: you can stock a 3DOC and a 1HLT on one another and then would almost exactly fill up the SCB.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scb-1.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	493.9 KB
ID:	330605

Name:	scb-2.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	478.1 KB
ID:	330606
              ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
              current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby View Post

Hi Selcouth, no, the 3DOC as well as the 1 HLT fill quite exactly half of the volume of the SCB. I took two quick shots to illustrate that: you can stock a 3DOC and a 1HLT on one another and then would almost exactly fill up the SCB.
                Oh wow, that’s perfect. Thanks for demonstrating. SCB it is for sure then.
                Solaris ALL THE THINGS!

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                  Random question for Darcy or moriond or whomever might know/remember - why are the straps attached for the Small and Medium Cafe Bags but not for the Large? Presumption of possible weight so having a padded strap as an option...?
                  Your presumption is exactly right!

Originally posted by dmoneysong View Post
                  Noticed halcyon is not an option for the Cafe bags. Is it because of the shortage?
                  It is. I expect we'll offer a couple of Halcyon options in the Cafe Bags sometime after September of this year.

Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

I use a SCB for my EDC, particularly in warm weather. I also have a LCB, from way back when. At first I used it with a computer sleeve, but once I bought a ristretto, I practically stopped using it. And then my beloved Imago died (it is a long-discontinued horizontal messenger bag Tom used to make). Now, I use the LCB whenever I might need to carry something a little bulky. Yesterday I used it to bring home a box of chocolates, two days ago it was a bottle of wine, and last week I took a small package to the post office. The LCB is very floppy, which is an advantage in that it will conform to my hip when not completely full, making the bag easy to carry and not bulky.

Comment

The cafe bags are great. My first TB bag was the LCB and I find I always gravitate toward it. It’s floppy, like mentioned in a previous post, and it conforms to the body (6’2”). I love the zippered pocket and the slash pocket on the back. I was hoping for a halcyon revival but what can you do. I plan on buying another LCB when it becomes available. I just love that I can run errands with it or use it for my work bag. I just swap out the pouches and I’m good to go.

Comment

I've fallen in love with the Canary SCB but I'm concerned about 1000 cordura fuzz, abrasion, etc. By the way, does anyone know the weight of the cordura SCB? Wondering if it's more or less than 525 ballistic.

Name:	173099682_2464731986993813_1326852735183231417_n.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	492.6 KB
ID:	331078
                        Last edited by Selcouth; 04-16-2021, 11:28 AM.
                        Solaris ALL THE THINGS!

Comment

I've fallen in love with the Canary SCB but I'm concerned about 1000 cordura fuzz, abrasion, etc. By the way, does anyone know the weight of the cordura SCB? Wondering if it's more or less than 525 ballistic.
                          Weights for 1000d bags will be posted next week! It's pretty close to the 525d weight, as I recall.

I think of 1000d as kinda the Carhartt option: it's tough but some abrasion, fading and wear work well with its aesthetic. You also probably wouldn't wear it with fine wool or silk garment, but YMMV: some folks do and it works fine for them. The fuzz/lint can be taken care of with a standard lint roller. Another option, if you're into the Canary SCB, would be the LGD in Canary. It can be carried around the waist, sling-style, or with a shoulder strap, and the back of all colors of LGD is Black 525d ballistic instead of 1000d Cordura.

Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                            Hi All,
                            Can we hear more inputs from people who are excited about the return of the Large Cafe Bag? And a question for Darcy will the Messenger Stabilizer be restocked before the upcoming Cafe Bag restock in April? For those of you unfamiliar with this accessory, there’s a blog post
                            https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/n...r-stabilizer-2

And there’s also an old (Sept. 9, 2013) YouTube video on the 1” Café/Ristretto Messenger Stabilizer

moriond
                            Originally posted by AshleyM View Post
                            I was lucky to get the stabilizer strap when back in stock a year or so ago, and find it really useful for bike riding.
                            I noticed that the Cafe Bag Messenger Stabilizers have been restocked:
                            Last edited by moriond; 04-18-2021, 12:01 PM.

Comment

I saw some comments on strap material changes around 2017 on the Cafe Bags. Does the current SCB have a seat belt style strap like the 1" Shoulder Strap or Side Kick Shoulder Strap? I know it's 1-1/2" but I'm curious if it has that super smooth texture or more like the texture of the Synik belt strap.
                              Solaris ALL THE THINGS!

Comment

I saw some comments on strap material changes around 2017 on the Cafe Bags. Does the current SCB have a seat belt style strap like the 1" Shoulder Strap or Side Kick Shoulder Strap? I know it's 1-1/2" but I'm curious if it has that super smooth texture or more like the texture of the Synik belt strap.
                                Since the introduction of Cafe Bags in 525d Ballistic Nylon in 2017, they have been using the thicker and more satiny material that some have described as being more like the material used for car seatbelts (but obviously not that wide and thick). This is also similar to feel of the top handle/grip loop of the redesigned Luminary, and also was adopted for the shoulder straps of the Side Kick. As far as I know, none of the Small Cafe Bag straps were like the texture of the Synik waist belt strap, even when they were made of different webbing materials that did not have that satiny finish—which is what I think you were trying to ask about by that comparison to the Synik belt strap (i.e., the earlier Cafe Bag shoulder straps were always more comfortable than that plain waist strap webbing.)

The Icon is the Messenger style bag in the current lineup that does not use the same thicker satiny textured shoulder strap, because such thick straps would not allow passing the extra strap length into the “rabbit hole” so that there is no additional “buckle” for the strap adjustment sitting against the shoulder.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Working...
                                X