No announcement yet.

Cafe Bags - praises & uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The SCB and the EC were the first purchases I ever made from Tom Bihn. The SCB is big enough to carry a 20 oz Klean Kanteen. small knitting project, wallet, pen, chapstick, coin purse, sanitizer, hand lotion, etc. I use a medium sized YSS that I clip to the SCB, and when I'm concerned that the contents might spill out I put everything that I can't attach to an o-ring in the YSS. This works as long as I keep the knitting project small, say a cowl, small shawl, or a pair of socks. I have also done this with the MCB - but the YSS doesn't quite reach the bottom. Because that bag is longer, I find that if the item can't be hooked and has enough heft it will stay in the bag if it's underneath the YSS.

Comment

Originally posted by variegatedknits View Post
      The SCB and the EC were the first purchases I ever made from Tom Bihn. The SCB is big enough to carry a 20 oz Klean Kanteen. small knitting project, wallet, pen, chapstick, coin purse, sanitizer, hand lotion, etc. I use a medium sized YSS that I clip to the SCB, and when I'm concerned that the contents might spill out I put everything that I can't attach to an o-ring in the YSS. This works as long as I keep the knitting project small, say a cowl, small shawl, or a pair of socks. I have also done this with the MCB - but the YSS doesn't quite reach the bottom. Because that bag is longer, I find that if the item can't be hooked and has enough heft it will stay in the bag if it's underneath the YSS.
      Welcome to the Forums variegatedknits ! That's a good tip about using the YSS that way, thanks
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FBEE7758-3708-40C3-BDB2-F88D664D1140.jpeg
Views:	287
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	331473 SCB holds a Manduka eco travel mat, 20oz water bottle, kindle paperwhite, COW, and phone.
        Fold the mat in thirds and roll.

Comment

Hi question about cafe bag offerings. Darcy mentioned a few months ago that there may be a restock of Bird & Beans Cafe Bags - would that be sooner now that the cafe bag pre-order is also coming up?

Comment

Bless y'all for being active on these forums. I'm new to the Tom Bihn universe and looking forward to pre-ordering my first bag next week -- gonna go for a MCB in burnt orange.

I like to work on my 12.9" iPad or my 12" Macbook in coffee shops (pre- and hopefully post-pandemic, anyway) and it seems like this size will be a perfect fit. Also looking for something relatively simple, lightweight and low-profile. I've tried numerous backpacks, shoulderbags and slings over the years … seems usually they're either too shapeless or too rigid, and either have no organization at all or way too many pockets and dividers and too many zippers and straps noisily jangling about. (If there's pockets, I want to find something to put in them. And too many unused pockets just adds too much bulk for me.) The Cafe Bag is looking like a nice compromise … just a few pockets for the essentials and a solid rectangular shape. Also no zippers on the inside, if I'm reading right … so no worries about scratching my computers or their cases.

I think I'll also like that the flap is Just A Flap. I've had three flap bags (a backpack, a sling and a shoulderbag) but all of them had an extra pocket with a zipper on the flap. Whether I put anything in that pocket or not it felt like it made the flap too heavy, feeling unbalanced when flipping it open or closed. Looking forward to seeing how the flap on the MCB feels.

Again, thank y'all … can't wait to get my first (perhaps of many) TB bag soon <3
            ---
            My Bags: Burnt Orange Aeronaut 30
            Preordered: • Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag
            Wish List: Burnt Orange Side KickAubergine Everyday CubeletIsland Small Travel Tray

Comment

Welcome to the Forums Cooner ! Glad you're here and finding some useful information...

If you haven't had time to check out the FAQs on the main Shop Page - those are worth a look (there's a link at the bottom of the main shop) for cleaning information, returns, etc.
              https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq

And since you mentioned the blog post about this upcoming pre-order in your other post, hopefully you've checked out the FAQ to how pre-orders work
              https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/pre-orders?_ke=

And again from your previous post, I have to say that my halcyon Aeronaut 30 is my favorite travel bag
              I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

G42 Thank you! I have read over the FAQs and the pre-order pages, thank you! They were very helpful in understanding how things work here.

And aaah, I see that the Aeronaut 30 is available in Burnt Orange with "only a few left" … oh dear. *frets endlessly*
                ---
                Wish List: Burnt Orange Side KickAubergine Everyday CubeletIsland Small Travel Tray

Comment

Originally posted by Cooner View Post
                  And aaah, I see that the Aeronaut 30 is available in Burnt Orange with "only a few left" … oh dear. *frets endlessly*
                  Not to tip you over the edge or anything, but it’s even 1050d Burnt Orange in the A30... They won’t make new 1050d, only 525d ballistic. I have all my duffels in 1050d and love the robustness of it for a travel bag. I wouldn’t hesitate to check a 1050d bag.

Comment

b1gsky Aieeiee … Alright, I ordered it. Worst case scenario I can return it before I use it right? Anyway, later this month I'm driving from Austin to Kansas to check in on Dad, and in late July I'm flying to Santa Cruz for a wedding, so if I do keep it I'll find out how it do soon enough.

Funny, I came here looking for a cafe bag and ended up with new carryon luggage. They were right, y'all are enablers.
                    ---

Comment

Cooner Yes, you shouldn’t hang around here if you want to save money... For me it’s even more expensive because of international shipping and customs, but I have a lot of bags by now all the same. I love to use them though, never had that with any other bag company. I still have a fancy leather handbag for occasions and some dedicated hiking backpacks, but all my other bags are TB. Hope you enjoy the Aeronaut!

Comment

Originally posted by Cooner View Post
                        b1gsky Aieeiee … Alright, I ordered it. Worst case scenario I can return it before I use it right? Anyway, later this month I'm driving from Austin to Kansas to check in on Dad, and in late July I'm flying to Santa Cruz for a wedding, so if I do keep it I'll find out how it do soon enough.

Funny, I came here looking for a cafe bag and ended up with new carryon luggage. They were right, y'all are enablers.
                        Ha, I totally agree with b1gsky on the 1050 - if you like the color get the 1050 now as that fabric has a lush expensive look that's impossible to capture on camera (for me), but once you see it you're immediately swooning.

For me, part of the fun of bags is being excited to use them! Bags to me are kind of a statement of intention and hope for adventure not yet experienced, but sure to come!
                        Last edited by GrussGott; 04-29-2021, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
                          Part of the fun of bags is being excited to use them! Bags are kind of a statement of intention and hope for adventure not yet experienced, but sure to come!
                          Very true! I finally took my first international trip to Japan a few years ago … two weeks with a single eBags Mother Lode Jr. Travel Backpack. I wanted to do more traveling, but we had to move cross-country, and then … pandemic time. So hopefully someday soon!
                          ---

Comment

How could I have missed this thread?? I am firmly in Camp LCB! I am 5'2 and do not like to jam pack my bags. The LCB holds a couple notebooks and a trade paperback, pens, an HLT 1 or 2, keys, wallet, etc... and still has give/flop that lets it stay close to my body. These items so also fit in an MCB, but I usually go to the smaller one when I need something that could pass for a purse-like-bag (in size and what it holds--not in design, for which I am eternally grateful) as opposed to a bag that carries-hauls. Maybe its just me... For example... Concert or function? MCB. Walk to the park to write or bring what I need to work or a meeting? LCB. Travel? Def-def-def an LCB. Closer, deeper. And, re: travel, I flip the bag around. Buckle toward me. I've been all over for work--Chile, Italy, Indonesia, France, Cuba, etc... and knock on wood, never lost anything.

Comment

KmK That’s good to know - I’m 5’3” and had a bit of a worry that the LCB might be too big in the end, but I think it’s going to be fine. I also prefer my Café bags underpacked and I think I’m going to enjoy the bigger size on certain days. I’m pretty decided on getting two, Ursa and Aubergine, although Black, Deep Blue and Constellation are nice too. Are you getting another LCB?

Comment

KmK good to hear the love for the LCB from shorter people... I'm 5' 4" and that was a concern for me

I think you have all convinced me to try all 3 sizes (!), give the open top/buckle thing a chance - and see how it goes

Comment

Working...
                                X