Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smaller bag to put inside of shadow guide 33?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smaller bag to put inside of shadow guide 33?

I'm looking for a smaller bag that I can put inside of shadow guide 33 for a daily carry when I travel (and for day trips when Im home), for post pandemic, obviously.

The idea is this. Shadow guide is perfect for long distance travel, but it's not optimal for local walk around. So I want to pack a smaller bag inside of shadow guide along with the stuff I normally pack, and then once I get to the destination housing, unpack everything, and then walk around with the smaller bag.

here's what I normally pack in a smaller bag
    1. 16oz water bottle
    2. jacket (depending on the season)
    3. mirrorless camera with two small primes
    4. possibly iPad, but not critical.
    5. small accessories like a battery pack. not a lot.

I never had a good luck with shoulder bags for longer days. it bounces too much, especially when I'm hiking. I'm fine with messenger bag style which provides close contact between my body and the bag. But even then, it's not so comfortable when I walk around for like 15 hours, which what I typically do when I travel.

Here are some bags I've considered from TB.
    1. daylight backpack - looks minimal, but the shoulder straps looks quite uncomfortable. I'm concerned about zero shoulder padding. I'd like a chest strap, but I think that's something I can make even if the bag doesn't come with one.
    2. luminary - looks comfy, but also looks quite thick. I wouldn't want it to take too much space in shadow guide.
    3. paragon - looks flatter and more minimalistic than luminary, but it's as wide as shadow guide. with the foam padding in the back, I wonder how well it will sit shadow guide.

Hi hchung88 and welcome to the Forums!!

Based on what you want to carry backpack style and comfort level, I suggest the Paragon in halcyon. It's a very lightweight and flexible pack (like the Daylight) but has the Edgeless shoulder straps which are very comfortable for most people and has the sternum strap. It has relatively minimal organization, so you can toss a lot of different things in there.
    The padded laptop area and Edgeless straps add a bit more bulk than a Daylight would have, but to me the comfort is worth it.
    Since the SG33 has a huge main compartment, there should be room to put the Paragon in, though you'd want to put it in first and using cubes/stuff sacks for your other items will make packing & unpacking easier.

I don't have the SG33 yet to show you pictures of the Paragon inside, but hopefully someone else has both and can show you.

The Luminary 15 could also hold your items but it is thicker/more structured bag. ETA: it works better than I thought, see photos below

ETA: here's a pic of the Taiga/Taiga halcyon Paragon inside the smaller Shadow Guide 23. There's nothing in the Paragon so it's poofed up a bit but you can see that it fills the vertical of this bag but still leaves room to pack around it. There would be more space in the SG33

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210409_152207836.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	75.8 KB ID:	330768

ETA: here's a pic of the Luminary 15 on top of the Taiga Paragon

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210409_153150211.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	330769

And here's the Luminary 15 inside the Shadow Guide 23

Name:	PXL_20210409_153218550.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	330770

Keep in mind, these are inside the smaller SG23 - lots more room in the SG33
    Last edited by G42; 04-09-2021, 08:37 AM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Wow! thanks for the thorough response!!

I figured that luminary wouldn't be as nimble as paragon due to its structure.

I'm actually interested in the guide's edition for the paragon. Sometimes I carry a tripod, and the external strap loops would come in really handy. I don't have much experience with halcyon, but how is that fabric's nimbleness compared to the 525? I don't care much about the weight, but I'm hoping that 525 is flexible enough to comfortably fit in the SG33. I would think it's good, because I see that the width of SG23 is about 1.5in narrower than the width of SG33.

it's quite impressive that SG23 can handle the paragon, because the width of paragon is 1in wider than the width of SG23. Did you notice any bulging on the sides of SG23 when you put in the paragon?

Originally posted by G42 View Post
      Hi hchung88 and welcome to the Forums!!

Based on what you want to carry backpack style and comfort level, I suggest the Paragon in halcyon. It's a very lightweight and flexible pack (like the Daylight) but has the Edgeless shoulder straps which are very comfortable for most people and has the sternum strap. It has relatively minimal organization, so you can toss a lot of different things in there.
      The padded laptop area and Edgeless straps add a bit more bulk than a Daylight would have, but to me the comfort is worth it.
      Since the SG33 has a huge main compartment, there should be room to put the Paragon in, though you'd want to put it in first and using cubes/stuff sacks for your other items will make packing & unpacking easier.

I don't have the SG33 yet to show you pictures of the Paragon inside, but hopefully someone else has both and can show you.

The Luminary 15 could also hold your items but it is thicker/more structured bag. ETA: it works better than I thought, see photos below

ETA: here's a pic of the Taiga/Taiga halcyon Paragon inside the smaller Shadow Guide 23. There's nothing in the Paragon so it's poofed up a bit but you can see that it fills the vertical of this bag but still leaves room to pack around it. There would be more space in the SG33

Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20210409_152207836.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	75.8 KB ID:	330768

ETA: here's a pic of the Luminary 15 on top of the Taiga Paragon

Name:	PXL_20210409_153150211.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	330769

And here's the Luminary 15 inside the Shadow Guide 23

Name:	PXL_20210409_153218550.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	330770

Keep in mind, these are inside the smaller SG23 - lots more room in the SG33

Comment

The Paragon was empty and it can curve a bit to fit in the SG23. The shape of the SG is sort of oval anyway, so how much you'd see anything poking would really depend on what and how you pack. The 525 ballistic is basically stiffer than the 400 halcyon (especially when new).

If you haven't had a chance to check out the materials page - take a look for more info https://www.tombihn.com/pages/materials

I have a Paragon Guide's Edition from the pre-order delivering sometime today, so I'll get a photo of it inside the SG23 today or tomorrow, depending on the light.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
          The Paragon was empty and it can curve a bit to fit in the SG23. The shape of the SG is sort of oval anyway, so how much you'd see anything poking would really depend on what and how you pack. The 525 ballistic is basically stiffer than the 400 halcyon (especially when new).

If you haven't had a chance to check out the materials page - take a look for more info https://www.tombihn.com/pages/materials

I have a Paragon Guide's Edition from the pre-order delivering sometime today, so I'll get a photo of it inside the SG23 today or tomorrow, depending on the light.
          Thanks! I have a synapse GE, so I'm quite familiar with the 525 material. I guess it's hard to really know what it feels like without touching the material. I think I'll go for the GE paragon and SG33. thanks!!

Comment

Hi @hchung88,
            I think that bartleby can answer your question definitively, but I have the GE Paragon (in Nebulous Grey 525d Ballistic Nylon) and a Shadow Guide 23 (SG23), and I can fit my GE Paragon into the SG23. My guess is that folks who are opting for a lighter packup in the Shadow Guide might opt for the Daylight Backpack, or a 400d Halcyon Paragon Design Lab Paragon similar to @G42’s description. That offers more room for using the remainder of the Shadow Guide, but you can always pack some of these cubes with clothing, etc.inside the Paragon, I’m going to point you to two of bartleby’s threads on the Shadow Guide (one each for the SG33 and SG23, where there are excellent comparisons to other backpacks, including the Synapse 25 that you have. I’ll also point you to his Design Lab Paragon review, so that you can see internal packing Cube strategies for that Bag).

Top Loaders: Shadow Guide and Guide's Pack (10-23-2029 bartleby compares the SG33 with the Guide’s Pack and gives a general review of the SG33)
            https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...d-guide-s-pack

Twentysomething: More impressions of the Shadow Guide 23 (12-07-2020 bartleby compares the two SGs and additional backpacks like the Smart Alec and GE Synapse 25)
            https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...hadow-guide-23

For the Design Lab Paragon, see
            Design Lab Paragon Backpack: More Pics (02-04-2021 bartleby shows different packing strategies of the Paragon; I also have added on some posts with the GE Paragon, mostly answering questions about other Freudian Slips used in the Paragon)
            https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...pack-more-pics

This is as an aside, and not really in response to your questions, but as an organizational strategy with different sized Cafe Bag Freudian Slips, it is possible to insert an open Daylight Backpack inside another backpack (a Smart Alec in the thread, but it would work in a Shadow Guide—maybe better in an SG23 given the match in height), and load up diffèrent sized Cafe Bag Freudian Slips into the tiered pockets; the main possible advantage over using a single (vertical) Freudian Slip for Brain Bag is that the smaller Freudian slips can transfer to a wider range of smaller alternative bags)

See the first pictures in @Ilkyway’s thread from 01-28-2016
            How to carry two backpacks - Smart Alec and Daylight Backpack
            https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...light-backpack

Hope this helps,

moriond

Comment

hchung88 I have a Guide’s Edition Paragon and an SG33. Here are a couple of pics, I hope they give you some idea of the additional height and capacity over the 23. This is my first attempt at uploading pics since the forum upgrade so I am hoping for the best here.

Photo of Paragon inside Shadow Guide 33
              Paragon inside a Shadow Guide 33

Originally posted by hchung88 View Post
              I'm looking for a smaller bag that I can put inside of shadow guide 33 for a daily carry when I travel (and for day trips when Im home), for post pandemic, obviously.

The idea is this. Shadow guide is perfect for long distance travel, but it's not optimal for local walk around. So I want to pack a smaller bag inside of shadow guide along with the stuff I normally pack, and then once I get to the destination housing, unpack everything, and then walk around with the smaller bag.

here's what I normally pack in a smaller bag
              1. 16oz water bottle
              2. jacket (depending on the season)
              3. mirrorless camera with two small primes
              4. possibly iPad, but not critical.
              5. small accessories like a battery pack. not a lot.

I never had a good luck with shoulder bags for longer days. it bounces too much, especially when I'm hiking. I'm fine with messenger bag style which provides close contact between my body and the bag. But even then, it's not so comfortable when I walk around for like 15 hours, which what I typically do when I travel.

Here are some bags I've considered from TB.
              1. daylight backpack - looks minimal, but the shoulder straps looks quite uncomfortable. I'm concerned about zero shoulder padding. I'd like a chest strap, but I think that's something I can make even if the bag doesn't come with one.
              2. luminary - looks comfy, but also looks quite thick. I wouldn't want it to take too much space in shadow guide.
              3. paragon - looks flatter and more minimalistic than luminary, but it's as wide as shadow guide. with the foam padding in the back, I wonder how well it will sit shadow guide.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
                hchung88 I have a Guide’s Edition Paragon and an SG33. Here are a couple of pics, I hope they give you some idea of the additional height and capacity over the 23. This is my first attempt at uploading pics since the forum upgrade so I am hoping for the best here.

Photo of Paragon inside Shadow Guide 33
                Paragon inside a Shadow Guide 33

Thanks!! it looks like there's plenty of room in the SG.

Comment

Working...
                X