Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,503   Posts: 187,566   Members: 6,463   Active Members: 327
Welcome to our newest member, chrisjonty.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synapse 25 Design Tweaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synapse 25 Design Tweaks?

Hi All,

As I'm digging into my "new" 2020 S25GE trying to figure out my carry I noticed a few key design differences, which I'm sure have been covered, but found posts hard to find with search so thought I'd write this up ...

The 3 big changes I'm see are:

(1.) The top handle:
    - on my 2016 era blue halcyon S25, a single webbing loop
    - on my 2017 era black halcyon S25, a folded webbing loop
    - on my 2020 era Ursa S25GE, back to the single webbing loop
    (and of course the S22/30 does away with the loop and adds the new top handle similar to the tristar/aeronaut side handles)

Click image for larger version  Name:	S25TopHandleComparo.png Views:	0 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	331136

(2.) The interior pockets:
    - On the 2016/2017 S25s the side pockets are significantly smaller, taking up about 1/3 of the front of the bag
    - On the 2020 S25GE the side pockets are significantly larger, taking up a full half of the bag

Click image for larger version  Name:	2016S25topPocketInterior.png Views:	0 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	331137
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2020S25GEtopPocket.png Views:	0 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	331138

(3.) The chin pocket ... drain holes??
    - On the 2016/2017 era S25s you can see two drain holes? at the bottom of each side pocket, draining into the chin pocket?? both bags have these holes in the same place, so they're not a puncture
    - The 2020 era S25GE has no drain holes (and you can see the new side pocket "V" stitch vs the 2016/2017 vertical stitch)

Click image for larger version  Name:	2016S25chinPocket.png Views:	0 Size:	1.46 MB ID:	331139
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2017S25chinPoket.png Views:	0 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	331141
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2020S25GEchinPocket.png Views:	0 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	331140

I should also mention for those that don't know, the 2020 S25GE has the edgeless straps and the 2016/2017 S25s do not.

Apologies if this has all been covered somewhere - any & all feedback and info appreciated!
    Last edited by GrussGott; 04-18-2021, 12:16 AM.
    Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
    Hi All,

As I'm digging into my "new" 2020 S25GE trying to figure out my carry I noticed a few key design differences, which I'm sure have been covered, but found posts hard to find with search so thought I'd write this up ...

The 3 big changes I'm see are:

(1.) The top handle:
    - on my 2016 era blue halcyon S25, a single webbing loop
    - on my 2017 era black halcyon S25, a folded webbing loop
    - on my 2020 era Ursa S25GE, back to the single webbing loop
    (and of course the S22/30 does away with the loop and adds the new top handle similar to the tristar/aeronaut side handles)
    The changes in the top Handle Loop design of the Synapse stemmed from the design of the Luminary backpack. In the original design of the Luminary (that corresponded to what was later termed the Luminary 12 size), the top Handle was stitched. You can view pictures of this in the 08-20-2017 thread started by damonsharp titled S25 w/ updated grab handle
    https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...ed-grab-handle

That design propagated for a time to models of the Synapse backpack that were produced then. When the new Luminary 12 was redesigned, and the Luminary 15 came out, they reverted to using a single loop, but of the thick, smooth webbing that is now used for cafe bag shoulder straps. (Note that there is no counterpart to this fabric in Coyote for the Guide’s Edition backpacks).

You can read @Darcy’s reply about this in her 02-22-2019 post in the Luminary + 210 Ballistic Shop Bags Pre-Order & News Thread
    Originally posted by Darcy View Post

For a variety of reasons, it turned out the folded and sewn handle was very difficult (nearly impossible) to fabricate: both the sewing and cutting turned out to be far more labor intensive than we had originally planned for.

The webbing handle on the new Luminaries is our newer thick and smooth webbing and we like it just as well if not better than the folded handle and it's, of course, much easier to fabricate.

Note: we're using up all of our stock of the folded and sewn handle parts on the Synapses. Once those parts are all used, we'll switch the Synapse handle to be the newer thick and smooth webbing, too.
    (visit the actual linked post to read more about the discussion and see pictures)

(2.) The interior pockets:
    - On the 2016/2017 S25s the side pockets are significantly smaller, taking up about 1/3 of the front of the bag
    - On the 2020 S25GE the side pockets are significantly larger, taking up a full half of the bag
    This design change in the way the webbing sides of water bottle pockets are attached applies to all Synapses, and was probably first noted on the forums in a 04-07-2019 thread started by healthydetail titled Manufacturing change in Synapse 25? — youcancompare the photos there to your own, and the later discussion describes how other items, such as Everyday Cubelets, more easily fit into the side pockets. This design was also applied to all Syniks, and makes it possible to store HLT(=Handy Little Thing) 1s into the side pockets of the Synapse 25 or Synik 30 provided you have not tried to place something so overwhelming large in the central water bottle pocket that it takes up most of the space in the side pockets.
    https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...-in-synapse-25

See, also, my 10-04-2019 post in the Synik 22 / 30 Questions & Answers thread discussing options for where to carry a Kindle Paperwhite based on this redesign (estimated to have occurred around March 2019)
    (3.) The chin pocket ... drain holes??
    - On the 2016/2017 era S25s you can see two drain holes? at the bottom of each side pocket, draining into the chin pocket?? both bags have these holes in the same place, so they're not a puncture
    - The 2020 era S25GE has no drain holes (and you can see the new side pocket "V" stitch vs the 2016/2017 vertical stitch
    These are marker holes used in the manufacturing process for alignment, and have been reported in forum queries about bags and accessories of all types. I’m simply going to point you to a few example threads where you can see posted pictures:
    I should also mention for those that don't know, the 2020 S25GE has the edgeless straps and the 2017/2017 S25s do not.

Apologies if this has all been covered somewhere - any & all feedback and info appreciated!
    The first Synapses with Edgeless straps turned up for sale in mid-February 2020. There was an overlap period when you could buy Synapses either with Bound straps or Edgeless straps
    Originally posted by MatthewR View Post
    02/18/2020 New Bags and Colors Ready for Order
    Lobo Edition

Edgeless Strap Synapse 19, Coyote 525 Ballistic/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon
    Edgeless Strap Synapse 19, Constellation 525 Ballistic/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon
    Edgeless Strap Synapse 19, Ursa 525 Ballistic/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon
    Edgeless Strap Synapse 19, Wilderness 525 Ballistic/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon

Edgeless Strap Synapse 25, Black 400 Halcyon/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon
    Edgeless Strap Synapse 25, Coyote 525 Ballistic/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon
    Edgeless Strap Synapse 25, Nebulous Grey 525 Ballistic/Island 200 Halcyon
    Edgeless Strap Synapse 25, Constellation 525 Ballistic/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon
    Edgeless Strap Synapse 25, Ursa 525 Ballistic/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon
    Edgeless Strap Synapse 25, Wilderness 525 Ballistic/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon

A Note: The next run of Brain Bags will be made with Edgeless Shoulder Straps!

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
      The changes in the top Handle Loop design of the Synapse stemmed from ...
      Wow, what an excellent info-packed post moriond !! Thanks so much for taking the time to detail that all out, it's very much appreciated! So geeky I suppose to get into all these details ... but I'm going to read every thread

As I look into other TB bags I have noticed that all of the dedicated backpacks seem to have gone to the edgeless straps? (though I didn't check all), but, for example, the Brain Bag also now lists the edgeless straps vs, say, the Aeronauts which do not.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to try to put a 35lb dumbbell in my S25GE/edgeless strap and walk for 15 min, then switch to the S25 w/o the edgeless and see how it feels ... gonna be exciting!

As a side note, for anyone thinking of using their S25 for heavy duty use (rucking):

I used to use my blue S25 for rucking and have had as much as 80lbs in there hiking and the old S25 straps always seemed great. One thing I love about the S25 single loop handle is when you have a lot of weight in the bag I use the pull handle to lift the bag up overhead and behind my shoulders and then lower it down until the backpack straps take the weight ... and then taking it off is the reverse - reach behind your head and grab the grab-handle and lift up overhead and then turn to pull your arms out of the backpack straps and lower it to the ground.

One thing that concerns me about the S30 grab handle is I'm not sure how easy it would be to get your hand in backwards behind your head - on both of my other S25s it's always exactly where you need it to be and your hand slips right in - and maybe the S30 is the same, but because it lies flat to the bag it seems like it would be harder. Certainly it's an edge use case for a travel bag - but I bet it can get pretty heavy if you're using the S30 for one-bag travel!
      Seeking Verde Aeronauts

Comment

Excellent information. I purchased a S25 last year. At the time, both the original and newer straps were listed depending on the color combination you selected. Mine has the bound straps, so perhaps it is one of the last produced before the edgeless straps were used exclusively. Of course it has the V shaped water bottle pocket and larger side pockets along with the single layer web top handle.

I suppose I’d like to try an S25 or S30 with the new straps, but I find these to be comfortable.

Great topic.

Comment

Working...
        X