Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Padded bag backs and Velcro snagging

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Padded bag backs and Velcro snagging

    A lot of my clothing, especially travel clothing, have back pockets with Velcro closures which snag on padded bag backs, and this has made a mess of bags in the past. Does anyone have similar problems with Bihn bags? I’m looking at the Synik and Synapse

    #2
    Originally posted by 2homekcno View Post
    A lot of my clothing, especially travel clothing, have back pockets with Velcro closures which snag on padded bag backs, and this has made a mess of bags in the past. Does anyone have similar problems with Bihn bags? I’m looking at the Synik and Synapse
    I don't have a Synik for about another week so I can't try that one yet (specifically I'd be interested in the laptop compartment material) but ...

    I just tested my S25 from Feb 2020 and my two others from earlier (~2017) - I used some gloves that have heavy velcro hooks that catch on EVERYTHING like magnets - and I got zero hits anywhere in the interiors of any of the S25s. Most all of the interior is covered in either 210d ballistic or 200d halcyon and neither has any interest in velcro. I was most concerned about the edge coverings, webbing/o-ring loops, and tags, but no hits there either.

    Unless I missed something I'd declare the S25 interiors a velcro-safe zone.

    I'll try out the S30 next week and update the thread ...
    Last edited by GrussGott; 04-22-2021, 03:17 PM.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by 2homekcno View Post
      A lot of my clothing, especially travel clothing, have back pockets with Velcro closures which snag on padded bag backs, and this has made a mess of bags in the past. Does anyone have similar problems with Bihn bags? I’m looking at the Synik and Synapse
      Welcome to the Forums!
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

        I don't have a Synik for about another week so I can't try that one yet (specifically I'd be interested in the laptop compartment material) but ...

        I just tested my S25 from Feb 2020 and my two others from earlier (~2017) - I used some gloves that have heavy velcro hooks that catch on EVERYTHING like magnets - and I got zero hits anywhere in the interiors of any of the S25s. Most all of the interior is covered in either 210d ballistic or 200d halcyon and neither has any interest in velcro. I was most concerned about the edge coverings, webbing/o-ring loops, and tags, but no hits there either.

        Unless I missed something I'd declare the S25 interiors a velcro-safe zone.

        I'll try out the S30 next week and update the thread ...
        GrussGott, thanks much for the experimenting and the reply but I was asking about snagging on the exterior of the bag, specifically the padding on the back of the bag where it comes in contact with the Velcro on my back pockets

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by 2homekcno View Post
          I was asking about ... the padding on the back of the bag where it comes in contact with the Velcro on my back pockets
          ahhh, got it, so I checked that and no worries as that's 210b ballistic on my S25s (and meets 400d halcyon or 525d ballistic from the front) - maybe someone can confirm that the Synik lower back padded is covered in 210 ballistic - from picture it looks the same: 210d ballistic sewn to the front material, 525d BN or 400 Halcyon

          Much higher up is the spacer mesh which does catch velcro, but that shouldn't be a problem.

          Comment


            #6
            I can confirm that the syniks also have the 210 ballistic padded back where it would come into contact with the back pockets.

            Comment


              #7
              That is great news, now I just have to make up my mind which bag. Related to that, it looks like these make really good carryon bags but are they also good as day packs for general touristy stuff and the occasional hike?

              THANKS SO MUCH for the replies!!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by 2homekcno View Post
                That is great news, now I just have to make up my mind which bag. Related to that, it looks like these make really good carryon bags but are they also good as day packs for general touristy stuff and the occasional hike? THANKS SO MUCH for the replies!!
                Most definitely - I used my Blue Halcyon S25 for hiking for years, including rucking, i.e., filling it with weight plates ...

                Which gives me the perfect opportunity to address a bag pet peeve: "air channels"

                For me, these have never worked and here's an example: before using my S25 as my primary hiker I used a Lowe Alpine with AIR ZONE! Which is basically a curved frame sheet that suspends the entire pack away from your back, the ultimate air channel:

                Click image for larger version  Name:	AirZone.png Views:	0 Size:	879.2 KB ID:	331357

                Bottom line, for me, it doesn't do much and there's virtually no difference between this and my S25 in terms of cooling ... and given the S25 is so much better at everything else, that's why I switched to one for my main hiking pack. A lot of reviews mention the S25/30 could have more air channels, but for me I can confirm they'd be useless.

                So, here's my B400H S25 getting ready for a hike and showing the water bottle pocket can hold 2 full size yetis leaving the rest of the pack for clothes, med kit, etc:

                Click image for larger version  Name:	S25w2Yetis.png Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	331358

                ANYway ... as for a tourist day carry, yeah the S25 is great and I've used it for that purpose many times over the last 5 years and I'd guess the Syniks only improve on that (which is why I have one on the way!)

                Here's my B400H S25 getting ready to go explore Vienna

                Click image for larger version  Name:	S25inVienna.png Views:	0 Size:	828.9 KB ID:	331359

                So absolutely - Bihn bags are great for all things hiking, travel, and tourism.
                Last edited by GrussGott; 04-23-2021, 06:51 PM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  OK, I've just ordered the Synik 22 in Deep Blue and I'm pretty excited, have been coveting a TB bag for many years. Looking forward to traveling again and thanks again for all the Help, I'll becoming back here often!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by 2homekcno View Post
                    OK, I've just ordered the Synik 22 in Deep Blue and I'm pretty excited, have been coveting a TB bag for many years. Looking forward to traveling again and thanks again for all the Help, I'll becoming back here often!
                    Once it arrives, we'd love to hear what your first impressions are! And of course we love photos
                    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X