Quick Aeronaut, Packing Cube, Strap Keepers, Travel Tray questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Aeronaut, Packing Cube, Strap Keepers, Travel Tray questions

Hey guys! I'm really looking forward to receiving my Aeronaut 30 this week (my first Tom Bihn bag!) and hopefully using it for a trip to check in on my dad in a few weeks. I'm thinking about ordering a few accessories before the trip, and had a few questions if anyone could answer them.

1) Will the Small Laundry packing cube fit into the end pockets of the Aeronaut? I see there's also an End Pocket Packing Cube that's a little wider and significantly less deep, but I wasn't sure if that's made specifically to fit into the end pocket or if it's just the place you'd naturally want to pack some dirty shoes.

2) Do the backpack straps on the Aeronaut include extra dangly webbing? I'd like to order a pair of Strap Keepers if they do. (I actually do something very similar to this idea on my other backpacks by rolling up the extra webbing and wrapping a heavy duty rubber band around it a bunch of times; but rubber bands do degrade over time.)

3) I'm thinking of getting a Small Travel Tray (when they're back in stock) to dump in all the stuff that's first-out when I arrive at my destination and last-in when I'm packing to go home; plus I'll have a place to collect my wallet and loose change and stuff while I'm there. I'm curious though, is it a soft, scrunchable fabric container that can be shaped and flattened and stuffed into whatever nook or cranny is available in my bag? Or does the tray have some internal rigid frame or structure that could be damaged if it's distorted out of shape?

4) And finally, has anyone had any experience or luck stuffing the Aeronaut 30 under the seat in an airplane? I've seen a few people comment that it's a no-go, but I have an eBags Pro Weekender that's about the same width and depth and only a couple inches shorter (17.5x12.75x8") and a lot more rigidly bulky with all its padding, and I've gotten that under the seat several times. If it's not overstuffed, maybe, or if I sneakily keep an "entertainment pouch" in one end pocket I can pull out at the last moment and tuck into the seatback pocket to shave a couple inches off the length? (Note: This isn't a dealbreaker, just curious in case there's ever a time I can't put it in the overhead for some reason.)

Thanks everyone, and have a great week!
    ---
    My Bags: Burnt Orange Aeronaut 30
    Preordered: • Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag
    Wish List: Burnt Orange Side KickAubergine Everyday CubeletIsland Small Travel Tray

Originally posted by Cooner View Post
    1) Will the Small Laundry packing cube fit into the end pockets of the Aeronaut? I see there's also an End Pocket Packing Cube that's a little wider and significantly less deep, but I wasn't sure if that's made specifically to fit into the end pocket or if it's just the place you'd naturally want to pack some dirty shoes.
    The End Pocket Cube is specifically sized to the end pockets (both ends are the same size) (so slightly taller & shallower than the smalls). You can put a Small Laundry or regular Small Cube into the end pocket, but not if it's completely jammed full, unless you angle it in and unzip the pocket section to the main compartment...basically, you have to steal space from the main compartment.
    With that being said, I don't jam my cubes full and I like the laundry versions, so I have 3 small laundries and I do put a slightly under packed one into one end pocket.

2) Do the backpack straps on the Aeronaut include extra dangly webbing? I'd like to order a pair of Strap Keepers if they do. (I actually do something very similar to this idea on my other backpacks by rolling up the extra webbing and wrapping a heavy duty rubber band around it a bunch of times; but rubber bands do degrade over time.)
    The straps are adjustable so yes, there is extra webbing.

3) I'm thinking of getting a Small Travel Tray (when they're back in stock) to dump in all the stuff that's first-out when I arrive at my destination and last-in when I'm packing to go home; plus I'll have a place to collect my wallet and loose change and stuff while I'm there. I'm curious though, is it a soft, scrunchable fabric container that can be shaped and flattened and stuffed into whatever nook or cranny is available in my bag? Or does the tray have some internal rigid frame or structure that could be damaged if it's distorted out of shape?
    Yes, squishable - PaulT00 answered you in the other thread

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...612#post331612

4) And finally, has anyone had any experience or luck stuffing the Aeronaut 30 under the seat in an airplane? I've seen a few people comment that it's a no-go, but I have an eBags Pro Weekender that's about the same width and depth and only a couple inches shorter (17.5x12.75x8") and a lot more rigidly bulky with all its padding, and I've gotten that under the seat several times. If it's not overstuffed, maybe, or if I sneakily keep an "entertainment pouch" in one end pocket I can pull out at the last moment and tuck into the seatback pocket to shave a couple inches off the length?
    Check the restrictions on the airline you will be flying...but yes, folks have put it under the seat. Slightly underpacking it and carrying it in backpack mode (which the flight folks seem to ignore more) often helps with that.

And the PCSB is a favorite pouch for what you're suggesting... the versions that have the strap attachment at the ENDS (older versions and the current Design Lab edition - but not some made in between) allows you use to use medium or large double swivel carabiners to hang it off the seat back pocket, once the plane is in the air.

Here's a thread with some photos from the time period when TB changed the strap attachment points to offset to avoid the zippers ... shows the end set version on a seat pocket
    https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...-pcsb-og-style

You may find this thread useful

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...its#post331045

Oh, and have fun on your trip!
    Last edited by G42; 05-01-2021, 01:39 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

G42 Thanks for the thorough answers! I must have missed Paul’s reply about the travel trayas I was typing this up; I’ll also thank him.

Yeah, I was thinking of a small laundry packing cube for my usual few days worth of socks and underwear, so it shouldn’t be too fully packed. Also not sure if that’ll go in the main compartment or one of the end ones but I like flexibility.

And we’ll see how the underseat storage goes! Like I said, not a dealbreaker, I just like flexibility. (Also, driving to see Dad this month so won’t be an issue yet.) I was thinking of getting a Side Kick to fit my iPad Mini/Kindle/iPod and headphones, which also happens to be what I entertain myself with on long flights — That looks to be a little smaller than the PCSB, so hopefully that will fit in the end compartment as well.

Thanks again! I’m so excited.
      ---
      Wish List: Burnt Orange Side KickAubergine Everyday CubeletIsland Small Travel Tray

Comment

Hi Cooner, G42 has answered most of your questions, but for more details on “1) Will the Small Laundry packing cube fit into the end pockets of the Aeronaut? I see there's also an End Pocket Packing Cube that's a little wider and significantly less deep, but I wasn't sure if that's made specifically to fit into the end pocket or if it's just the place you'd naturally want to pack some dirty shoes.” It can be helpful to look at the pictures from the Aether Packing Cubes thread that Badger started on 03-29-2016
        https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...packing-cubes/
        This is when they switched from Halcyon packing cubes to the current Aether Packing Cubes for the Aeronaut 30, so the pictures in that thread show what these packing cubes look like used both in the A30 and in other bags. One difference in those pictures is that the cubes shown are all Aether fabric (no mesh combinations), and the colors used there are not currently available (I particularly miss Carbon).

So, those photos will let you see how the A30 cubes will fit in a range of other bags (and there are specific other threads for how these were used in the Synapse 25, etc, if you are interested), but you can also get a good visual impression of the difference between the size of the A30 End Cube and Small Packing Cube:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=298438&d=1459274898.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	331648
        I’m excerpting a photo by tpnl from the Aether Packing Cube thread that shows an A30 End Packing Cube in Carbon Aether between two A30 Smaill Packing Cubes in Wasabi and Ultraviolet Aether (these are retired colors). You can see the difference in height, and the fact that the zipper on the end Packing Cube is placed near the middle. There are more pictures showing these cubes in the Aeronaut 30 and also in other bags.

The A30 end Packing Cube is usually used for shoes, but you have a lot of flexibility. One of the changes that bartleby bemoans is that the older A30 end Packing Cubes in Halcyon were larger (in cross section) so you could fit larger pairs of shoes into them

A Side Kick can fit into the A30 end pockets, but it’s a snug fit. See the Side Kick with Aeronaut 30? thread from 04-03-2019, started by @ejvc
        https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...th-aeronaut-30
        Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=305119&d=1617762648.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	482.9 KB
ID:	331649
        Please go back to the actual linked thread and see the full sets of pictures from different angles of people trying to zip up the end pockets of the Aeronaut 30. I’m excerpting a single photo to give an idea of the fit.

HTH

moriond

Comment

moriond Thanks for the info and the pictures and the links! Huh, interesting … I'd seen that the Side Kick was 7.5" tall and the A30 was 7.9" tall so thought it might JUST fit, but then I don't have the A30 in-hand yet so I don't know what its exact geometry looks like yet! Although the widest thing I plan to put in the SK is my iPad Mini which is narrower and should leave some space at the top, so hopefully the SK can be crushed down a little to fit when closing the bag. I'll see tho … part of the fun is figuring this out, I just wish things were available and ready to order. XD Just my luck finding this company right after a year of mask-manufacturing pandemic season.

At the moment I'm thinking of packing my toiletry kit in one side pocket, the SK with my "entertainment" stuff in the other side pocket, and a packing cube full of socks and underwear into the main compartment with the rest of my clothes. Of course this could all change once I see how everything fits. I suppose worst case I could move the packing cube to the side compartment and the SK into the main compartment, even if that makes it just a tad harder to get to while in flight.

It's too bad the packing cubes seem to be very limited in color range now … I must have missed their heyday! Oh well. I ordered the Burnt Orange A30, so the Island color should complement that nicely, and I'll probably try to get a Travel Tray and a few O-ring straps and … maybe? … a Spiff Kit also in Island to match. (None of those are available in orange anyway.) XD

Thanks again!
          ---

Comment

Working...
          X