Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Halcyon Co-Pilot inside Western Flyer front section?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halcyon Co-Pilot inside Western Flyer front section?

Hi all! I am considering a halcyon Co-Pilot, in part as a camera bag for a relatively small mirrorless setup. I have a halcyon Western Flyer already. The CP seems very comparable in size to a small WF packing cube, though slightly taller. I'm wondering if the CP (when empty or lightly packed) would fit in one of the WF front sections (with the divider zipped shut). Any owners of both that could verify this?

My intent is only to use this combination in a pinch when wanting a "single bag" to deal with while traveling. I'm not necessarily looking to actually work out of the CP while it's in the WF (though it would be even sweeter if that could work as well of course).
    Last edited by yvandermeer83; 05-02-2021, 01:32 AM.

Originally posted by yvandermeer83 View Post
    I'm wondering if the CP (when empty or lightly packed) would fit in one of the WF front sections (with the divider zipped shut). Any owners of both that could verify this
    The WF front sections are about 9" wide each (with the divider zipped of course), by about 12" high. The Co-pilot is 11.8" wide x 10" high so it might fit on it's side, i.e., vertically if it wasn't stuffed, but it'd be a bit of a smash fit ... doable though.

Comment

yvandermeer83 as GrussGott says, it's a bit of a smash

This is an empty original Nordic WF with an original Nordic CP in one of the divided front sections. I have a linen throw folded up inside the main compartment and that is it... you definitely have to squash it in order to zip up the WF, but it's doable depending on how stuffed you have it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210503_021347155.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	87.4 KB ID:	331687
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by yvandermeer83 View Post
        Hi all! I am considering a halcyon Co-Pilot, in part as a camera bag for a relatively small mirrorless setup. I have a halcyon Western Flyer already. The CP seems very comparable in size to a small WF packing cube, though slightly taller. I'm wondering if the CP (when empty or lightly packed) would fit in one of the WF front sections (with the divider zipped shut). Any owners of both that could verify this?

My intent is only to use this combination in a pinch when wanting a "single bag" to deal with while traveling. I'm not necessarily looking to actually work out of the CP while it's in the WF (though it would be even sweeter if that could work as well of course).
        Yes, you can do this. I'm loading a series of pictures to show you a more detailed view of what G42 showed. It's actually easier to show you the fit inside a bag with a solar lining, so I've taken pictures of the fit inside a 1050d Navy Ballistic Nylon Western Flyer with Solar Halcyon interior, as well as using my Original Nordic Halcyon Western Flyer with Steel Interior holding a Nordic Co-Pilot with Solar interior.

I've also filled it with a current vintage Western Flyer Packing Cube in Violet Aether (this color is no longer available), though my preference would be to use the original Halcyon versions, which were available in both all fabric and mesh plus fabric because they are much less likely to catch on the mesh as you slide them in, and also because they under pack much better
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0468.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	331700
        This is a 1050d Ballistic Nylon Navy Western Flyer with Solar lining holding an Original Nordic Halcyon/Solar Co-Pilot. You can see that I've pretty much been able to show you the full Co-Pilot inside, lying within boundaries of the bag, with the corner pulled back. (You can also do this with the Nordic Halcyon Western Flyer with Steel interior, but it's almost impossible to show this with the Steel color scheme.)

Name:	IMG_0469.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	331701
        Here's a current generation Western Flyer Packing Cube inside the compartment previously occupied by the Co-Pilot, which has been moved to the right. I'm going to insert it into the Co-Pilot, put the Co-Pilot back into the Western Flyer (first the one in 1050d Navy Ballistic Nylon, then the one in Original Nordic Dyneema, and zip the Western Flyer up.

Name:	IMG_0470.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	331702
        Filled (Current Version) Western Flyer Packing being inserted into the rear (main) compartment of the Original Nordic /Solar Co-Pilot

Name:	IMG_0471.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	331703
        This is the Western Flyer Packing Cube inside the Co-Pilot. The front pockets have been left empty

Name:	IMG_0472.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	331705
        The packed Co-Pilot (rear/main compartment holding WF Packing Cube with clothes; front compartments empty) inside the Navy/Solar Western Flyer. I've tried to show the edge of the black zipper dividing the compartments at the left. It's about the level of the bottom of the Co-Pilot squooshed down, although I probably should have under filled the packing cube more. (Again, this would have also been easier using my preferred original version Halcyon packing cubes for the Western Flyer). I can zip up the bag.

Name:	IMG_0473.JPG
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	331704
        Here's that same Co-Pilot with WF Packing cube of clothes in back moved to the Nordic Western Flyer. This would have the top of the Co-Pilot inside the bag pointing to the top of the Western Flyer as carried with Backpack straps.

Name:	IMG_0474.JPG
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	331706
        This is just to show you what this looks like if I zip up the Nordic Western with the Co-Pilot inside.

It's doable, but you don't have a lot of room. I'd guess you would use the front pockets of the Co-Pilot instead of the rear compartment, which is the easiest one to use. You could use Eagle Creek Quarter Packing Cubes in Sil-nylon in the side pockets.

I would tend not to put things on the side of the bag with the water bottle pocket, because I'll use that pocket to hold items like a windbreaker/rain jacket or down vest, and those would bulge into whatever I put on that side of the partition. The other reason is that I'm used to also carrying the Tri-Star, where the division is unequal, and I almost always fit most of my clothes in the Medium Tri-Star Packing Cube on the left side of the bag. The rear compartment is usually where I pack slacks or dresses that require more careful packing, but generally these don't take up much room and I tend store extra papers in back.

If you want to see the older style Western Flyer packing cube in a Co-Pilot, see the #1 Packing Cubes for Co-Pilot thread started by UK-Limey in 01-31-2014
        https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...s-for-co-pilot

Name:	fetch?id=291507&d=1391376602.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	331707
        For other pictures of those style packing cubes, see, for example, may posts in The New Yeoman Duffel Aether Packing Cubes thread
        of 07-20-2017
        https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...-packing-cubes

Name:	fetch?id=301872&d=1500702553.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	331708
        There are a pair of (older style Halcyon all-fabric) Western Flyer packing cubes at the right, in front of the open Steel Mini Yeoman Duffel

HTH

moriond

Comment

GrussGott Thank you, "smash fit" is what I figured, haha (nice phrase!). As a side note, special thanks to you, as your repeated Western Flyer praise on these forums have been very influential in my own WF purchase. 😇

G42 Thanks for your photo! Helpful to see that top view. Made me realize I could also just unzip the divider for a bit more wiggle room (could still fit a packing cube next to it), but then again, with the halcyon especially, not zipping up the divider would probably cause the WF to bulge more than I'd like... Worth a try though.

moriond Wow... thank you so much for that elaborate and illustrated response!! Lots of good info there. You coincidentally also confirmed my suspicion that the small WF packing cube would be a nice match for the Co-pilot, making it a very nice one bag shoulder carry option for minimal overnight trips (sans laptop). That said, I was pretty happy with my aether/mesh packing cubes so far, but I'm sure I'll now start noticing any snags on the mesh... 😂

Lots of Original Nordic love I'm seeing by the way. For me, it's OG halcyon that has recently gained my affection, especially with Wasabi interior. 🥰

I'll post photos if I indeed end up with the Co-pilot.

Thanks again all!

Comment

Working...
          X