Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,185   Members: 6,708   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, drkrokr.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large Cafe v. Maker's Bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Cafe v. Maker's Bag?

They look similar to me. Could anyone share a pic of those two bags side by each? Or give me an idea of how they differ?

Thanks!
    Mike

Lots of differences in feel. Maker's Bag is horizontal orientation, and has water bottle pockets at the ends. Easily fit a laptop in and have it sized for fit. The Large Cafe Bag is vertical orientation. You can put in a laptop, but it won't use the space the same way (room at the sides -- for a dedicated bag for laptop use, the recently retired Ristretto is better shaped to fit this in vertical orientation. There is more of a free form utilization of the contents in LCB. Pockets are for pens and items but a different level of organization. Also, I could put the small packing cubes for the Aeronaut 30 inside the Maker's Bag and travel with clothes easily inside.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head. How do you want to use the bag. Do you care if there's a water bottle pocket or not. If you're into huge diameter (4.3" diameter) water bottles, the Large Cafe Bag won't put any constraints on that, because there's no dedicated holder (pluses and minuses)

moriond

ETA Could someone else take a picture? The sun hasn't risen for me

ETA2: Ok, there are some pictures that Ilkyway took of the Large Cafe Bag and the Maker's Bag at :

The Makers Bag from a non knitter (at least not yet a knitter)
    https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...-yet-a-knitter

Because the Maker's Bag was a new bag at the time, the detailed inside look is of the Maker's Bg.

A lot of what people like depends on what other bags they have and what they can carry over. For example, she's using a Medium Cafe Bag Freudian Slip as an organizer for that bag. If you want to transfer organized content in the Freudian Slip, the Medium Size Cafe Bag FS will generally be the most flexible to go between a lot of bags. But, the Large Cafe Bag FS will make better use of space in, say a Paragon, or Synik 30, if you don't want to have the top of the slip go to the very top of the bag. But some people don't use Freudian Slips at all. (It's one way of holding an upright water bottle inside a Cafe Bag, if you put it in a mesh pocket, but probably the bottle diameter should be about 2.9" or less so as not to warp the pocket).

Extracting a few of her pictures:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=297848&d=1448906074.jpg Views:	0 Size:	532.0 KB ID:	331898
    Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=297850&d=1448906098.jpg Views:	0 Size:	423.6 KB ID:	331899
    The Maker's Bag broadens a lot more as you can see in the side view of the base. That depth also limits what sorts of things you can carry in your bag.

There are lots more pictures. Hopefully a Large Cafe Bag user will post
    Last edited by moriond; 05-06-2021, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Also, the Large Cafe Bag has an outside back slip pocket that the Makers Bag does not. I use the Makers for work-I carry wallet, snacks, water bottle, pens, a few small items in various pouches, 1-2 A4 notebooks, and 2 paperback sized reference books, plus glasses, etc. It works great and has a spot for all. It is more organized inside than the LCB. I have a Medium CB, so can't do a pic for you. Good luck!

Comment

OK, Here's a video where someone quickly compares the Large Cafe Bag and Maker's Bag:

​​​​​​​moriond

Comment

Thanks for all the details. I don't know exactly how I'd use it in a different way from my MB. Sometimes the MB is a little on the large/floppy side if I don't have enough in it, I think. Just trying to justify another bag purchase. :-D

Edit: Just saw the video! Yeah, that might be a little long for my liking. I guess I can stick with the MB for now. Thanks all!
          Last edited by Inkdependence; 05-06-2021, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkdependence View Post
            Thanks for all the details. I don't know exactly how I'd use it in a different way from my MB. Sometimes the MB is a little on the large/floppy side if I don't have enough in it, I think. Just trying to justify another bag purchase. :-D

Edit: Just saw the video! Yeah, that might be a little long for my liking. I guess I can stick with the MB for now. Thanks all!
            Apart from the fact that Darcy added pictures of people of different height carrying the different size cafe bags, it's fairly easy to find reviews from shorter people who like the Large Cafe Bag. Here's one from back in 2012 by pegolas, who is 5'2" https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...large-cafe-bag

People who like the Cafe Bag design generally like its basic simplicity.

Comment

I had a long messenger bag a while back, and it tended to sort of slap against my back or my knee with each step (depending on how I carried it). I think the small is exactly what my wife likes for a "lite purse" carry, and if she's getting one then I might as well, right?

Comment

Working...
              X