Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,822   Posts: 191,267   Members: 6,717   Active Members: 268
Welcome to our newest member, dougwierzba2.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small Shop Bag beside a Pickup Truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Shop Bag beside a Pickup Truck?

Does anyone have both the Small Shop Bag and also a Pickup Truck? I am curious as to how they look side by side (since their dimensions are nearly the same) and whether the carrying capacity is any different?

Asking because I have a Pickup Truck that I take for quick shopping trips but it’s carrying capacity is a sometimes too small due to the dividers (it’s hard to fit 1 bags of onion and 1 loaf of bread in the pickup truck for example). Wondering if the small shop bag will be able to carry more than the PUT.

(I have the entire truck family but I use the PUT the most, due to its small size, it’s the first thing I grab when I leave the house! Really sad to see it retired!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_23359.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	332002 Its going to depend somewhat on the items in your bag, but the shop bag holds a little more for me. Here's a packed pickup truck I have on hand. Notice that the items either approach the top or stick out somewhat beyond the bag boundaries.

Last edited by sturbridge; 05-08-2021, 11:27 AM.
    Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is my Black Halcyon Zeitgeist with a Cobalt Cerylon 3DOC as my "purse"/

Comment

And here is the same load in a small shop bag. There are a few inches above the items that could be used for more stuff. Not a lot, but some.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1950.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	332004
      Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is my Black Halcyon Zeitgeist with a Cobalt Cerylon 3DOC as my "purse"/

Comment

Originally posted by Fiona_L View Post
        Does anyone have both the Small Shop Bag and also a Pickup Truck? I am curious as to how they look side by side (since their dimensions are nearly the same) and whether the carrying capacity is any different?

Asking because I have a Pickup Truck that I take for quick shopping trips but it’s carrying capacity is a sometimes too small due to the dividers (it’s hard to fit 1 bags of onion and 1 loaf of bread in the pickup truck for example). Wondering if the small shop bag will be able to carry more than the PUT.

(I have the entire truck family but I use the PUT the most, due to its small size, it’s the first thing I grab when I leave the house! Really sad to see it retired!)

The Pick-Up Truck is definitely smaller and listed as 11L and the original Small Shop Bag as 15L. The small Zip Top Shop Bag is a further 16.5L rating because the sidewalls/top are formed a bit differently to allow the zipper and you can theoretically then shove more stuff in without it falling out, if you want to zip it. Of course it (and the other bags) can have things sticking up out of the bag, depending on the size/shape, without issues.

As sturbridge shows, there is more space in the two Shop Bags and as you noted, the lack of dividers allows a different type of organization & cramming things in.

FWIW, I usually use the Pick-Up Truck when I want the rigid base forcing the bag to stay more open/upright and have easy access...like in my car, on a picnic, etc. I find living out of the Truck family to be useful. The Shop Bags I tend to use more for actual carrying of stuff vs using-out-of-the-bag.
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Pick-Up Truck: A bit more than one plastic grocery bag of groceries.
          Small Shop Bag: One and a half to two plastic grocery bags of groceries.

Comment

Since my two Pick-Up Trucks finally arrived a few days ago, I could take a quick picture... I don’t have a regular shop bag though. The PUT is smaller than I thought it would be! Not quite sure yet what I’m going to do with mine.

Comment

Thank you so much for the helpful responses! You all helped me make up my mind to get an original small shop bag (in fact, I like the colors so much that I’ll probably end up getting 3 of them - Red Blend Codura, Dawn and Island Ballistic!!) and maybe a large original shop bag as well!

I’ll update this thread when I’ve had a chance to try the original small shop bag, and compare it to the PUT, so I can give back to this amazing community too.

Thank you again!!

Comment

It looks like the Original Small Shop Bag is the closest to the Pick Up Truck.

Since both design future seems to be Limited Editions only bags, grab them, in the color you love for yourself or as gifts as soon as they show up.

Which is what you did and that is a great idea!

Comment

Working...
                X