Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,817   Posts: 191,184   Members: 6,708   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, drkrokr.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synik 30 width when not packed out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synik 30 width when not packed out

Hi all, I'm considering picking up a Synik 30 and I'm trying to figure out whether the size will be okay for me. I think the height will be fine, but I'm a little worried about the width because my waist is very narrow and the bag looks kinda wide at the bottom. The width is listed as 13.4" on the site, but I'm assuming that's when packed pretty full, and the bag widens when underpacked as it flattens out? I've seen plenty of pictures of the bag on people, but none showing an actual measurement of the width. I'd really appreciate it if someone could post a picture of their empty/underpacked SN30 next to a measuring tape, so I can get a feel for how wide the bag would be in daily use. This would be replacing my Osprey Farpoint 40 for EDC/indefinite travel, so if someone happens to have a Farpoint you can compare with, that'd be icing on the cake. For what it's worth, the Farpoint specs say 14" wide, but mine measures closer to 16.5" at the widest point when empty. Thanks everyone, this forum has been an awesome resource so far as I contemplate this purchase!

Welcome to the Forums bzjhezq !

I don't have a Synik 30, but hopefully someone can answer you... if not, you can also always contact the fine folks in Customer Service on Monday and they can help you out.

I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

The 400d Halcyon Synik 30 is pretty true to 13.4” packed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3873.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.54 MB ID:	332010Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3874.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	332011

I find that due to the fabric on the sides you certain can stretch it out to 17” empty but it never really does that on your back. The side panels and fabric collapse in on themselves pretty well and it never looks wide. Maybe different for 525 Balistic?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3879 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.50 MB ID:	332012Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3881 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.86 MB ID:	332013Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3880 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.94 MB ID:	332015
      Last edited by Selcouth; 05-08-2021, 01:30 PM.
      Solaris ALL THE THINGS!

Comment

That's awesome, thanks! I would probably be going for the 525, so would still be curious if anyone can provide info on the 525 bag specifically. Going by your pictures it also looks like the widest point is a lot higher up than I expected it to be, so that's good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by bzjhezq View Post
          That's awesome, thanks! I would probably be going for the 525, so would still be curious if anyone can provide info on the 525 bag specifically. Going by your pictures it also looks like the widest point is a lot higher up than I expected it to be, so that's good to know.
          Here's the S30 in 525 and it's the same ...

Pic 1 - smashed flat (i.e., likely not how it'd be on your back usually) it's about 14" max on the bottom, 17" at the midpoint if the "wings" are smashed flat:

Click image for larger version

Name:	540-wings.png
Views:	262
Size:	539.5 KB
ID:	332020

Pic 2, with the bag with some stuff in it, still 14" max on the bottom, but a better idea of the back when the bag has stuff in it

Click image for larger version

Name:	540-nowings.png
Views:	248
Size:	529.2 KB
ID:	332021

Comment

Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks y'all!

Comment

Working...
            X