Owning an Aeronaut 30 AND a 45 …?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owning an Aeronaut 30 AND a 45 …?

Alright, it's probably a terrible idea asking this of all you enablers, but I'm curious …

After ordering the Aeronaut 30 in Burnt Orange 1050 Ballistic while it was still in stock … I see that the Aeronaut 45 is also in production in the same color/fabric. (Even the same Northwest Sky Halcyon interior.)

That's got me thinking … Would it be worth it to get one of each, just for more flexibility when packing for trips? I'm usually a pretty light packer and I suspect the A30 is going to be fine for me most of the time, supplemented with an extra personal item if necessary. But to have the option, when necessary, to have a slightly larger bag? If it's a cold weather trip and I need to pack heavier clothes … or if I need to bring some tech gear in a MCB or DLBC with me but want to pack it into the A45 alongside my clothes for true one-bag travel in transit?

Sounds like a cool option … but then as one of the higher-end bags, I do also need to consider my budget and how many bags I can order so quickly back-to-bad.

I guess I'm not looking for an answer or advice per se, but just curious … anyone out there who owns multiple bags they swap between from trip to trip, and what their experience doing so is? And particularly with international travel and the varying carryon restrictions that entails? Thanks.
    ---
    My Bags: Burnt Orange Side Kick Aeronaut 30 Aubergine Everyday Cubelet
    With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

Preordered: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag Canary Large Shop Bag

I have three sizes of duffels, one mini Yeoman for one or two nights, a small yeoman for longer or when I want to bring a second pair of shoes and then a Road Buddy 36 for longer trips. The RB has 36 litres and sits right between A30 and A45. For me it is big enough for any lengthy trip and when it's packed full it's actually quite heavy. I don't think carrying a heavy A45 around would be fun. I suggest test packing your A30 and then see if you can imagine carrying an even bigger and heavier bag. I think bringing a smaller bag forces you too become a better packer. Also, why would you ever want to pack the MCB or DLBC into the A30/45? Yes, you would have one bag but I would always prefer to have my most valuable things (passport, wallet, electronics) with me at all times which means in a personal item under the seat in front of me and not in the overhead. Plus the extra small bag doesn't cost extra, at least it didn't on any flights I was on so far. I usually travel with two bags, I think true one bag travel makes more sense when your one bag is a smaller more "normal" bag, like the S19 or S25 and not an A30. Just my two cents.

Comment

I have both the A30 and A45.

Depending on what I pack, the A45 can get pretty heavy, so I'd prefer it on my back, but then it's not as comfortable to me because of my short torso length (the current bound straps don't bother me at all). Fit & comfort are highly personal of course, so what annoys me, may not phase you at all.

At this point, I only use the A45 for my normal (in non-covid years) cross country year end holiday trip where I'm carrying cold weather clothes and some presents. I have in the past relocated for jobs that required all my possessions go into storage for weeks or months at a time and in those instances I did a plane relo with two checked bags and two carryons... I didn't have the A45 then, but I'd use it for that now too.
      (which reminds me that really, if most of what I use tends to fit in a couple of bags, why do I have an apartment full of stuff? )

If I could only have one of the bags, I'd pick the A30 every time based on comfort. If the A45 fit my short self better, I'd probably go that way on the assumption I could always underpack and still have the extra space when needed.
      Last edited by G42; 05-23-2021, 09:33 AM.
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

I'm another owner of both the A30 and the A45. My A45 actually predates that terminology, it's an original Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel) which I acquired secondhand. My A30 was from (I think) the second production batch... I missed the first batch but was quite determined to get one the second time around, and snagged one in Aubergine/Wasabi. That A30 has become my most-used bag.

They have different use cases. The A30 works for work trips of up to, e.g. 3 nights, or travelling very light by air. Anything longer than that or which requires more or bulkier clothing, the A45 is brought out of cold storage. To be honest I haven't used the big one for a couple of years, but don't want to sell it on because when I need it, I really need it. The capacity of the A45 makes it very easy to pack a lot of stuff, and would certainly risk exceeding carry-on luggage limits if used unwisely.

For really short trips of 1-2 nights I can put my laptop into the A30 in a suitable cache (currently I use a 13" MacBook pro, before that it was an Air, before that it was a 12" Retina MacBook). I just put it in the centre compartment on top of everything else. Otherwise I carry the laptop in something else, e.g. a Large Cafe Bag. That has the advantage also that I can carry the LCB in the A30 for a 2-night/3-day trip, to use for EDC on the "middle" day.

The A45 comes into its own for longer domestic work trips - always by train, so far - where it will hold enough for a work week at the office including the laptop. Obviously your mileage may vary, depending on clothing size and type. I've never taken the A45 on an actual aeroplane; in Europe one finds that baggage allowances can vary enormously between carriers (this is pre-COVID, I haven't flown since late 2019) and the A45's dimensions would blow the limit for a lot of them. That last flight was on KLM and I had a couple of kilos of leeway with a fully packed A30 and a LCB for laptop and paperwork, but my colleague on that trip flew from London City on Luxair and had half the baggage allowance - he had to check a wheely case, carry-on wasn't really practical for a 4 day training course in winter with only a 7kg baggage limit...

A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Comment

Originally posted by Cooner View Post
          After ordering the Aeronaut 30 in Burnt Orange 1050 Ballistic while it was still in stock … I see that the Aeronaut 45 is also in production in the same color/fabric. (Even the same Northwest Sky Halcyon interior.)

That's got me thinking … Would it be worth it to get one of each?
          Yes.

For me, the biggest reason is because 1050d looks amazing, but 1050d colors are being phased out , so if you want one - even if you think you may want one - it's now or never!

In general, the A30 wasn't a good size for me (I"m 6'2 so longer clothes, plus sometimes just a sloppy packer which is a real luxury!) so for longer trips, i.e., anything overseas, it's the A45, however I do LOVE the WF at -4L smaller because it forces me to be a thoughtful packer, mostly because it packs flat. It shouldn't be true, but it is.

Here are some A45 & WF pics to get an idea of the size difference (i.e., the A30 would be slightly larger obvs) and how the A45 fits in:

A45 stuffed full going to Japan (note you can see the LTT outline in the lid )
          Click image for larger version  Name:	A45SEATAC.png Views:	0 Size:	517.8 KB ID:	332526
          A45 & WF in backpack mode
          Click image for larger version  Name:	A45WF.png Views:	0 Size:	626.9 KB ID:	332527

Here's what the EC med folder looks like in front of the WF:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	A45WFECPF.png Views:	0 Size:	740.0 KB ID:	332530

and side-by-side:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	A45WFSV.png Views:	0 Size:	652.0 KB ID:	332528

That side view is key for me, because you get a sense of how well designed the A45 is for small space stowage, despite being relatively huge!

Here's the A45 in the smallest cubby of an RJ - Flight attendant asked if I wanted to check it, HA! nope, fit no problem first try and it was overstuffed:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	A45RJ.png Views:	0 Size:	628.8 KB ID:	332529

BONUS: the packed WF in the A45, still has lots of room to spare for more stuff in the A45

Click image for larger version  Name:	WFinA45.png Views:	0 Size:	818.4 KB ID:	332531

"But wait!" the attentive observer might ask, "why would you do such a thing!?!"

Ah ha! Because let's say you've managed to pack mostly light for a trip (i.e., WF+some A45 room) ... but you know on said trip you're gonna buy a bunch of clothes and/or other tourist stuff. This way you go over with one bag and return with 2! One of which even goes under the seat if you have to.

Ahhh, the Bihn life.
          Last edited by GrussGott; 05-23-2021, 01:52 PM.
          Seeking Verde Aeronauts and Ursa or Coyote Synik 30 GE

Comment

I also have both 😬 I got the 45 in 2014, and the 30 about two years ago. I'm 5'4" with pretty small clothes, and while I didn't mind carrying around the 45, for most trips I didn't actually need all of that space and the 45 just encouraged me to overpack. For me, a better solution for long trips (pre-covid I usually took one 4-5 week trip each year) is a DLBP rolled up inside the 30, so that if I acquire souvenirs I can use the DLBP as a personal item on the way home. I also looove that I can usually stuff the 30 under the seat in front of me when the overhead's out of space.

With that said, I've never seriously considered selling the 45. It's great for car trips where I don't have to lug it around airports and train stations, or trips where I'm less mobile -- visiting family, say, where I'm just going to put the bag in a bedroom and leave it there for the whole trip. As you point out, it's good for cold weather; if I need to pack sweaters and a down jacket, the 30 just isn't going to cut it. Even after seven years and a lot of travel, I'm always shocked by just how much you can stuff into a 45.

Because of (flails hands around) everything, I've traveled around by car a lot this year, often to stay somewhere for a long period of time, so there have been times I've used both bags. I've been glad to have them.

Comment

You could also get a medium sized Yeoman duffel as an alternative to the A45 for car travel. They said on Facebook that they are thinking about offering a Yeoman preorder soon, and that the duffels would be ready to ship with the other preorder. Maybe they will offer them in Burnt Orange too. That way you would have a less expensive option for car travel and keep the A30 for flights. I mean you don't really need the backpack straps for travel with the car.

Comment

Originally posted by b1gsky View Post
                I have three sizes of duffels, one mini Yeoman for one or two nights, a small yeoman for longer or when I want to bring a second pair of shoes and then a Road Buddy 36 for longer trips. The RB has 36 litres and sits right between A30 and A45. For me it is big enough for any lengthy trip and when it's packed full it's actually quite heavy. I don't think carrying a heavy A45 around would be fun. I suggest test packing your A30 and then see if you can imagine carrying an even bigger and heavier bag. I think bringing a smaller bag forces you too become a better packer. Also, why would you ever want to pack the MCB or DLBC into the A30/45? Yes, you would have one bag but I would always prefer to have my most valuable things (passport, wallet, electronics) with me at all times which means in a personal item under the seat in front of me and not in the overhead. Plus the extra small bag doesn't cost extra, at least it didn't on any flights I was on so far. I usually travel with two bags, I think true one bag travel makes more sense when your one bag is a smaller more "normal" bag, like the S19 or S25 and not an A30. Just my two cents.
                Thanks for the input! Everyone has their own preferences of course; I'll try to explain what I was thinking with the two nested bags:

As I just wrote about in another post, when I went to Japan for two weeks a few years ago I travelled with an eBags convertible backpack (roughly inbetween A30 and A45 size) with a tiny little Meyfancy mini-backpack (about 12x7x4") stuffed into the front compartment. The mini-backpack held the 9.7" iPad I had at the time, plus my charger, Kindle, and other bits. During the flights I popped it out and kept it under my seat so I'd have access to it; and at our various destinations I'd use it as a daypack. But what I liked was that during all those in-between times -- running through the airports, jumping onto trains and subways and busses, walking a few blocks from a station to our hotel, etc. -- I could keep the mini-backpack inside my larger backpack so I only had one bag to worry about or keep an eye on, I had both hands free, and wasn't swinging around a shoulder bag or waist bag or cross-body bag at the same time I had the larger backpack on.

These days I have a 12.9" iPad Pro for WORK, and an iPad Mini for travel and recreation. And I do prefer smaller bags when possible (tho I'm a pretty big guy so I can handle a larger pack if necessary). So right now my plan for future travel is to order a Side Kick when they're available again for the iPad Mini and other stuff, with a strap so I can wear it on my waist or as a cross-body bag, and do the same thing -- A30 for my clothes and personals, with the SK tucked inside to take out during a flight and use as a mini-daypack at our destination. (Again, I like tiny, just for essentials.)

My thought with the A45 and a MCB or DLBC would be if I were to take a long 2-4 week trip that involved both recreation and work … so I could again get around from place to place with just one (larger) bag on my back, but then also be able to take out the smaller bag to go to a cafe or coffee shop and get some work done.

BUT -- of course, this is a purely hypothetical situation since I don't have any long-duration work and recreation trips planned and don't know if I ever actually would, which is why buying the A45 on spec might indeed be overkill. XD But at the same time, I like consistency and if it may not be available in Burnt Orange 1050 in the future, I might be kicking myself later if I don't buy it now. XD Hence the discussion here!

Anyway … hope that clarifies my position a bit! Also -- I hadn't really considered duffels for travel before, but I may have to look into that. Thanks
                ---

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
                  I have both the A30 and A45.

Depending on what I pack, the A45 can get pretty heavy, so I'd prefer it on my back, but then it's not as comfortable to me because of my short torso length (the current bound straps don't bother me at all). Fit & comfort are highly personal of course, so what annoys me, may not phase you at all.

At this point, I only use the A45 for my normal (in non-covid years) cross country year end holiday trip where I'm carrying cold weather clothes and some presents. I have in the past relocated for jobs that required all my possessions go into storage for weeks or months at a time and in those instances I did a plane relo with two checked bags and two carryons... I didn't have the A45 then, but I'd use it for that now too.
                  (which reminds me that really, if most of what I use tends to fit in a couple of bags, why do I have an apartment full of stuff? )

If I could only have one of the bags, I'd pick the A30 every time based on comfort. If the A45 fit my short self better, I'd probably go that way on the assumption I could always underpack and still have the extra space when needed.
                  Hmm, thanks for the thoughts! Yeah, I feel kind of the same … even IF I had both I feel like I'd tend to use the A30 as often as possible, which begs the question of whether it's even worth buying the A45 speculatively just because of it's color. But then if I ever do want one and that color/material is gone forever I'll be kicking myself. XD And I'm a pretty big guy -- I wore the eBags backpack which was inbetween A30 and A45 in size. I feel like I could probably handle an A45 if I had to, tho I'm sure the A30 would be more comfortable.

Aah yes -- I've never done a relocation by plane but I've done a number of relocations with a car trunk full of stuff and everything else in storage for a while. Yeah, what is all this stuff for? XD If it weren't for my boyfriend I'd be really tempted to look into getting a Tiny House for myself and getting rid of most of my stuff -- just a mattress and some kitchen essentials, some clothes and a few books, a flat-screen TV (or just my iMac) and a little desk to work on my iPad, and a hard drive with all my movie and music media -- living cheaply, I really wonder if I could do it!
                  ---

Comment

Originally posted by PaulT00 View Post
                    They have different use cases. The A30 works for work trips of up to, e.g. 3 nights, or travelling very light by air. Anything longer than that or which requires more or bulkier clothing, the A45 is brought out of cold storage. To be honest I haven't used the big one for a couple of years, but don't want to sell it on because when I need it, I really need it. The capacity of the A45 makes it very easy to pack a lot of stuff, and would certainly risk exceeding carry-on luggage limits if used unwisely.

For really short trips of 1-2 nights I can put my laptop into the A30 in a suitable cache (currently I use a 13" MacBook pro, before that it was an Air, before that it was a 12" Retina MacBook). I just put it in the centre compartment on top of everything else. Otherwise I carry the laptop in something else, e.g. a Large Cafe Bag. That has the advantage also that I can carry the LCB in the A30 for a 2-night/3-day trip, to use for EDC on the "middle" day.
                    Thanks for the input! Yeah, I definitely feel like I'd want to use the A30 most often, which makes me wonder if it's worth buying the A45 on spec, but then if Burnt Orange 1050 never comes back and I want one in the future I'd be kicking myself. XD I do prefer traveling more lightly as possible, and while I've never been to Europe I've always REALLY wanted to go, and since I'm getting older and life is short I want to try to plan that trip once the pandemic clears up. So the A30 definitely for that.

Interesting that the LCB fits into the A30 -- Normally I just travel with my iPad Mini and I'm hoping to get a Side Kick for that, but if I DID need to travel with my iPad Pro or Macbook … it would be interesting to see if I could stow them in the MCB I pre-ordered and pack it crushed pretty flat on top of everything else in the A30. Hmm hmm hmm.

Heh … I still have my 12" Macbook from a few years ago. Most of my work is either on my huge 27" iMac or on my iPad Pro these days, so the Macbook is just for puttering around and hard to justify upgrading. I do like it tiny though … if they ever release an 11" or 12" M1 Macbook my pocketbook may be sunk.
                    ---

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post
                      Yes.

For me, the biggest reason is because 1050d looks amazing, but 1050d colors are being phased out , so if you want one - even if you think you may want one - it's now or never!

In general, the A30 wasn't a good size for me (I"m 6'2 so longer clothes, plus sometimes just a sloppy packer which is a real luxury!) so for longer trips, i.e., anything overseas, it's the A45, however I do LOVE the WF at -4L smaller because it forces me to be a thoughtful packer, mostly because it packs flat. It shouldn't be true, but it is.

Ahhh, the Bihn life.
                      Pictures! Thank you. Very helpful comparisons! Yeah, I'm just under 6' and tend to buy very thin lightweight clothes for travel, so the A30 I think will work pretty well in most cases. You're right, though, its maddening to think the color I want might not be available if I ever do decide I need it in the future. XD The decision continues ...

Clever packing one bag inside the other! I usually try to limit how much stuff I buy to take home when I'm traveling, but that sounds totally like something I WOULD do if I ever planned to make a bunch of purchases. XD Thanks!
                      ---

Comment

Originally posted by goodbyewaffles View Post
                        I also have both 😬 I got the 45 in 2014, and the 30 about two years ago. I'm 5'4" with pretty small clothes, and while I didn't mind carrying around the 45, for most trips I didn't actually need all of that space and the 45 just encouraged me to overpack. For me, a better solution for long trips (pre-covid I usually took one 4-5 week trip each year) is a DLBP rolled up inside the 30, so that if I acquire souvenirs I can use the DLBP as a personal item on the way home. I also looove that I can usually stuff the 30 under the seat in front of me when the overhead's out of space.

With that said, I've never seriously considered selling the 45. It's great for car trips where I don't have to lug it around airports and train stations, or trips where I'm less mobile -- visiting family, say, where I'm just going to put the bag in a bedroom and leave it there for the whole trip. As you point out, it's good for cold weather; if I need to pack sweaters and a down jacket, the 30 just isn't going to cut it. Even after seven years and a lot of travel, I'm always shocked by just how much you can stuff into a 45.

Because of (flails hands around) everything, I've traveled around by car a lot this year, often to stay somewhere for a long period of time, so there have been times I've used both bags. I've been glad to have them.
                        Thanks for sharing! Yeah I'm so on the fence, it seems like it would be a nice option to have stowed away when needed, just a question of whether I want to spend the money on it speculatively right now -- tho i also don't want to risk missing out on my matching color choice. XD

Good to hear you can usually fit the A30 under the seat too. When I go to conventions I usually have one carryon for my personals (which I'm hoping will be the A30 now, once cons start up again) and one small Samsonite rollerbag for all my conventioneering stuff. I prefer to put the rollerbag under the seat and my other carryon overhead (the Samsonite is shorter and leaves a wee bit more leg room for me) … But even though the rollerbag is billed as an "underseater," because of the wheels and the more solid structure I find about half the time it doesn't actually fit there, and I have to put it overhead and stuff my personal bag under the seat. Hoping the A30 will do the job when that becomes necessary!
                        ---

Comment

Interesting that the LCB fits into the A30 -- Normally I just travel with my iPad Mini and I'm hoping to get a Side Kick for that, but if I DID need to travel with my iPad Pro or Macbook … it would be interesting to see if I could stow them in the MCB I pre-ordered and pack it crushed pretty flat on top of everything else in the A30. Hmm hmm hmm.
                          To be clear, I tended to fold or roll up my LCB and stash it in an end pocket until I needed to use it. Flat on the bottom of the centre section of the A30 should work too; I have a Daylight Briefcase too (mine is in Plum) and that would certainly fit in the A30 without too much trouble at all...

Heh … I still have my 12" Macbook from a few years ago. [snip]… if they ever release an 11" or 12" M1 Macbook my pocketbook may be sunk.
                          I loved my 12" MacBook from 2015. The only reason I no longer have it is that it went to Apple to have a battery replacement... and it never came home. I'm not sure if it died on its own or if Apple killed it, but in the end they terminated the repair efforts and replaced the machine with a 2019 MacBook Air of similar spec, free of charge. I'm not sure I'll ever forgive them.
                          When I had it, btw, the MCB was a perfect fit for a 12" rMB in its cache.
                          That machine was also just right to fit in the padded cell at the back of a used Ristretto - not sure which version! - I bought on eBay.
                          But it would never have coped with the workload my current 2020 MBP (which replaced the Air) handles day to day, with 15-way video conferences on Teams running in parallel with multiple remote sessions into work, several different browsers, etc etc etc, even if it did manage to drive a 38" ultrawidescreen monitor at 3840*1600 without breaking a sweat.
                          If Apple ever make a high spec 12" MB (I'd really love an Apple silicon MBP in that form factor, which, let's face it, would basically be a top-of-the-range Mn iPad Pro 12" in a clamshell body, running MacOS instead of iPadOS... so, technically, there's no question it would be feasible) then my credit card is likely to catch fire.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled Bihn luggage programming!
                          A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Comment

I also have both. I can echo most of what Paul T00 has said, though I have taken my A45 on a plane many times. If I could only have one Tom Binh bag, it would be an A45. Get one!

Comment

Originally posted by bbcamp View Post
                              I have taken my A45 on a plane many times. If I could only have one Tom Binh bag, it would be an A45. Get one!
                              Same here: I don't have an A30 yet and many times I thought about getting one as long as it's offered in 1050d. But: The A45 is the travelling bag that I use the most. On planes, on trains when travelling by car. I love the extra space as I am a rather lousy packer and I love to bring stuff. Thus I am glad about every extra cubic inch. I am 6' and I almost always carry the A45 with the shoulder strap. The only thing that worries me now is that some airlines - at least in Europe - changed their policy regarding sizes of onboard luggage. Up to now I never had to check in my A45.
                              ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!)
                              current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Comment

Working...
                              X