Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a PCSB/SK Mashup. Is this the LGD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a PCSB/SK Mashup. Is this the LGD?

Sorry for the alphabet soup in the title, it would have been too long otherwise.

I've been using my packing cube shoulder bag (PCSB) as my purse for a while now. It's big enough for my edc necessities (keys, Tom bihn wallet, small pouch for change. Small pouch for coupons, cell phone) and my Nintendo switch if I'm going to be in a waiting room. The problem is that everything eventually ends up getting tangled up with the leashes because there are no pockets.

I've recently tried out my side kick (SK) again and the pocket organization on the inside is great, but it's just a really snug fit if I need to throw my switch in there.

I've been off the Tom Bihn train for a while, but I saw that they just released the Le Grand Derriere (LGD) which is meant to be a hip pack/sling, but can be a shoulder bag as well. Now, I'm not a big fan of the design, but it doesn't look bad in the stealth black.

I've only seen a pictures and a few videos, but will this bag meet my needs?

Also, just to let you know other things I've tried:

Icon: didn't like the bag's zipper situation. The main zipper on the front didn't work for me.
    ​​​​​​
    Cafe Bags: tried the small and medium. Small was too small and medium was too big because of the orientation. If it was a horizontal bag, it might have worked, but the vertical orientation made it look huge on me (5'5 F)

Parental Unit: too big for edc, even in halcyon. I don't need all that space daily.

So I feel like I've tried everything so far, but I'm not sure Tom Bihn makes a purse-like medium bag with organization unless the LGD is it.
    Last edited by nolegrl; 05-27-2021, 07:29 AM.

You can always put the Side Kick inside the PCSB to keep your items organized, and toss in the Switch when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Salmanila8 View Post
      You can always put the Side Kick inside the PCSB to keep your items organized, and toss in the Switch when needed.
      Thanks! I'll give it a shot. I also have a side effect which might be even better for my edc items and leave me a bit more wiggle room in the PCSB. I just hate it when bags are over/under filled.

Comment

I love the Daylight Briefcase in Halcyon as a walking around bag & it has more organization, but it's 8L - which is the same size as the LGD, just in a larger/more 2D footprint.

For the PCSB, In addition to the SE as mentioned above, you can attach a 3DOC with the small double swivel carabiners as a pocket inside...I can't remember if the older PCSB have two o-rings inside but the new DL ones definitely do

Here's a quick photo on my lunch break of the PCSB DL edition in Cerylon with a Steel parapack fabric 3DOC attached diagonally with small yellow swivel carabiners... I don't have a Switch, but a normal trade paperback is wider/deeper and a tad shorter, but is a good example of what it might look like (btw, this is a great book)

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210527_194707020.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	332675
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
          I love the Daylight Briefcase in Halcyon as a walking around bag & it has more organization, but it's 8L - which is the same size as the LGD, just in a larger/more 2D footprint.

For the PCSB, In addition to the SE as mentioned above, you can attach a 3DOC with the small double swivel carabiners as a pocket inside...I can't remember if the older PCSB have two o-rings inside but the new DL ones definitely do

Here's a quick photo on my lunch break of the PCSB DL edition in Cerylon with a Steel parapack fabric 3DOC attached diagonally with small yellow swivel carabiners... I don't have a Switch, but a normal trade paperback is wider/deeper and a tad shorter, but is a good example of what it might look like (btw, this is a great book)
          Thank you! I have a newer PCSB so it does have the two o-rings inside. I'll give that a shot as well!

I have looked at the DLBC, but those top handles keep stopping me from getting it. It just looks too much like a briefcase for me to use as an edc.
          ​​

Comment

I really like the LGD but my one annoyance is the lack of Side Kick-style interior pocketing for small items so I would proceed with caution if that matters to you.

I often use a bag-in-bag approach described by Salmanila8. I find it stops me from leaving the house without the things I need, especially if I have a core bag that can move around from bigger bag to bigger bag. The Everyday Cubelet is usually this for me but a Side Effect or even Side Kick would both be great choices.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
              I really like the LGD but my one annoyance is the lack of Side Kick-style interior pocketing for small items so I would proceed with caution if that matters to you.

I often use a bag-in-bag approach described by Salmanila8. I find it stops me from leaving the house without the things I need, especially if I have a core bag that can move around from bigger bag to bigger bag. The Everyday Cubelet is usually this for me but a Side Effect or even Side Kick would both be great choices.

Good luck!
              Thank you! I do like that idea as well, I'll pack up my bag tonight like that and see how it goes.

As a side note, are there pictures somewhere that show the inside of the LGD with better detail? I'm still getting used to the mobile site since Tapatalk access is gone (just learned this a few days ago, no idea when that started), so searching this forum isn't the easiest for me right now.

Comment

As a former Tapatalk devotee I get it! The forums were upgraded a few weeks ago out of necessity and unfortunately Tapatalk is no longer compatible.

I don’t think I included this pic in my initial review but here is a pic that shows the LGD inside pocket. It has one internal pocket which in this case is holding an iPad Pro 11”. It is perfect for that! There are no small internal pockets though. What I do is I put 3-D Items like my big lip balms and inhaler in the buckle pocket and I put my thin wallet and keys in the zippered pocket.

Here is a link to our initial review thread:
                https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...derness-coyote

and here is a link to a ‘further thoughts’ thread:
                https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...rther-thoughts

Good luck with your test pack!

Originally posted by nolegrl View Post

Thank you! I do like that idea as well, I'll pack up my bag tonight like that and see how it goes.

As a side note, are there pictures somewhere that show the inside of the LGD with better detail? I'm still getting used to the mobile site since Tapatalk access is gone (just learned this a few days ago, no idea when that started), so searching this forum isn't the easiest for me right now.

Comment

Ok, test pack done! I used my halcyon side effect to hold my wallet, change pouch, coupon pouch and car keys. My PCSB had my mini umbrella, switch, some masks and a whale pouch with small usb battery pack and a multi-cable in the front zipper.

Name:	20210527_184535.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	332687

Here it is closed:

Name:	20210527_184553.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	332688

Also, here it is without the switch:

Name:	20210527_184717.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	332689

And closed again:

Name:	20210527_184619.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	332690

So it's definitely stuffed once I put the switch in there, but it's less rigid than my side kick was. I didn't try the side kick at all, it seemed like it might actually be too large.

Comment

Working...
                  X