Backpack AND shoulder bag …?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backpack AND shoulder bag …?

Just curious, as I wait for pre-orders to deliver and for items to come into stock and so on.

Has anyone tried wearing a carryon in backpack mode (like the Aeronaut, Tri-Star, etc.) along WITH a smaller shoulder-bag like a Cafe Bag, Daylight Briefcase, etc.? Does it work at all?

Without having items here yet, I’m thinking MAYBE put the shoulder bag on crossbody first, bag to the front, then pull the backpack straps on over it. But I’m not sure if that’s manageable or not.

I guess otherwise the option would be to carry both as shoulder bags, on opposite shoulders. I’m not as much a fan of carryon-sized shoulder bags tho.

(Thinking of traveling to a wedding in July with my A30 and either an MCG if it arrives on time or a DLBC, and wondering how those will carry thru the airport and such.)

Thanks!
    ---
    My Bags: Burnt Orange Side Kick Aeronaut 30 Aubergine Everyday Cubelet
    With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

Preordered: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag Canary Large Shop Bag

IME, it depends on how much weight you have in the backpack. If I have 20+ pounds in my aeronaut, a shoulder bag starts to become unmanageable. If there's less weight in the backpack, it might work.

Comment

I travel with a Synapse 19 and a SCB. SCB goes on first and to the front, then the S19. Total weight is usually about 15 pounds for a 2 week trip. I’m a petite SM.

Comment

I usually travel with an A30 and a SideKick, often wearing the A30 in backpack mode. I find putting the A30 on first works best, as I need to access the SideKick for travel necessities. If the SideKick goes on first, then the strap becomes fixed in place underneath the A30 straps and it's less manoeuvrable.

Just adding, the weight of the A30 is under 7kg.
        A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Comment

Originally posted by ThomGault View Post
          IME, it depends on how much weight you have in the backpack. If I have 20+ pounds in my aeronaut, a shoulder bag starts to become unmanageable. If there's less weight in the backpack, it might work.
          Thanks! I have the smaller A30 and I plan to just have a few changes of clothes and toiletries … hopefully it won't be too heavy but I guess I'll find out how things go when the MCB arrives!
          ---

Comment

Originally posted by KiminIN View Post
            I travel with a Synapse 19 and a SCB. SCB goes on first and to the front, then the S19. Total weight is usually about 15 pounds for a 2 week trip. I’m a petite SM.
            Ah, thanks! I'm waiting for my MCB and I have the slightly bigger (I think) A30, but I'm a pretty big guy and I don't think I pack the A30 too heavily (haven't had a chance to weigh it full yet) … I'll see how things fit when I get the cafe bag. And yeah, I was thinking cafe bag to the front.
            ---

Comment

Originally posted by Denises View Post
              I usually travel with an A30 and a SideKick, often wearing the A30 in backpack mode. I find putting the A30 on first works best, as I need to access the SideKick for travel necessities. If the SideKick goes on first, then the strap becomes fixed in place underneath the A30 straps and it's less manoeuvrable.

Just adding, the weight of the A30 is under 7kg.
              Ah, interesting! Do you wear the Side Kick with a shoulder strap?

I pre-ordered an MCB but also plan to order a Side Kick when they're back in stock … I'm planning to use the MCB for "work mode" in coffee shops or on working trips with my 12.9" iPad Pro or 12" Macbook, and the Side Kick for more "recreational" travel with my iPad Mini and Kindle inside. So depending on the trip, I might be traveling with either the A30 + MCB for work or work combo trips and the A30 + SK if I'm just traveling for fun. I was going to order a waist strap with the SK so I could wear it as a sling bag over the shoulder, but I'll still have the shoulder strap if that's an easier way to travel with both bags. Thanks!
              ---

Comment

Originally posted by Cooner View Post

Ah, interesting! Do you wear the Side Kick with a shoulder strap?
                Yes, with a shoulder strap. Sometimes I'll have it just hanging over the shoulder at the side, other times I'll have it diagonally across my body. The latter is the better method if I have to dash rapidly between gates.

A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Comment

My go to travel bag combo is a Smart Alec with a Side Kick as a stand-in Upper Modular Pocket and a small Yeoman Duffel. The heavier stuff goes in the SA and just clothes in the YD, but both are generally underpacked. I'm 5'3" and very small and narrow shouldered, so I use the OpTech Mini SOS strap instead of the regular size/TB Absolute Strap. I found that the standard version crept up onto the curve of my neck and shoulder and that was plain uncomfortable and irritating. Anything I need to access quickly is in the SA or SK, so I put the YD on first as a crossbody (worn at my hip) and then the SA on my back.

I do have an A30 but rarely use it anymore. It's not comfy in backpack mode for longer than a few minutes, so I was constantly taking it on and off. I generally paired it with my non-TB crossbody purse at the time (between the size of a SK and SE), but b/c all my stuff was in the A30, I found that it was too heavy in backpack mode and I often opted to hand carry it. Note: I have packed the same/similar load-out in my SA and S25 and it wasn't such a burden to carry like it is with the A30. It just boiled down to the carry comfort of a general, all-purpose "travel bag" versus a dedicated backpack for me. When I do use the A30, it's generally the only bag I bring with my purse tucked inside.
                  Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

EDC: Side Kick, Everday Cubelet, DL PCSB (planner pouch); Travel: Smart Alec + Side Kick, Small Yeoman Duffel

Comment

Has anyone tried wearing a carryon in backpack mode (like the Aeronaut, Tri-Star, etc.) along WITH a smaller shoulder-bag like a Cafe Bag, Daylight Briefcase, etc.? Does it work at all?
                    Ha, well this depends quite a bit on the person, size, preference, etc, but here are some of my go-to moves ...

For routine business travel (i.e., 1-2ish days)
                    S25 (now 30) goes under the seat**, I always take the window, when it comes time to get out I scooch my butt to the side and put on my backpack while sitting down waiting in the seat ...
                    The WF is in the overhead set up with only one shoulder strap connected (left in my case) - when I exit the plane I just grab the WF from the bin and throw it over my shoulder on top of the S25 strap
                    Since I usually walk holding the straps at least on one side, it's not a slide risk, but even not holding them I've never had a problem, so it's essentially two backpacks, but one is half worn

For routine business travel (i.e., 1-4ish days)
                    Usually the same as above, except instead of using the backpack strap on the WF, because it's heavier now, I use the AS shoulder strap - but it's the same as above, I just put the WF shoulder strap over the S25 strap and I don't wear it cross-body ... I also set up the strap short so the WF is high next to my hip and my elbow rests comfortably on the bag. That way, by resting my elbow and gripping the strap I can easily swing the bag in front of me for fast maneuvering through the crowds (I don't dawdle!) with a strap is also best if you're carrying a bottle (though usually I have a reusable I carry in my S25). As a lefty in shoulder carry, the bottle has to behind you or at the front of your hip - in the latter scenario the zip may wear nice clothes

Click image for larger version  Name:	WFwBottle.png Views:	0 Size:	1.78 MB ID:	332773

For overseas personal/business travel (i.e., 1-2ish weeks)
                    It's the same as above, except I swap in the A45, but I carry it the same way, though always on the AS shoulder strap over my left shoulder on top of the S25 strap.

Exceptions are for long hauls like hauling-arse a mile through AMS or LAX or LGA for a connection and/or waiting 1 hour in line for immigration, like in AMS where it's a massive cattle herd (or was pre-covid) up to the gates, so there's no opportunity to set your bags down or even use a cart ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	AMS_COVID_DateStamp.jpg Views:	1 Size:	839.2 KB ID:	332775

In those scenarios, the A45 has to go into backpack mode, but then where does the S25/30 go? Well you can hold it of course or ... you can roll LordAnubis piggyback style:

Click image for larger version  Name:	PiggyBack.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.8 KB ID:	332774
                    Obviously if your backpack is super full this might be too heavy and/or lopsided, but I will say this works great in the AMS cattle-herd scenario - my wife stands in front of me and the double pack keeps people away from the sides and rear - if i have to quickly shift to a new location the double-pack provides blocking space and a with a quick 180 there's always room for my wife to scooch in front of me. We've used this move lots of times in AMS

This is why I'm begging Tom Bihn to widen the attach points of the backpack straps on the WF/TS/Aeronauts!

HTH!

**S25/30 under the airplane seats
                    Is this post too long? Ok, here's a little secret I use that's maybe a little nuts ... or not.

For me, those airplane carpets are they don't infrequently smell like urine or barf IME, and I don't wanna slide the shoulder straps (or any other part) of my bag across it, which I'm then gonna grab & touch!

So to solve for that I carry 2 of these MF towels for each leg of the flight. The key is the size & color: 16x27" black MF. I roll them up and pack, and then when I sit down in each airplane seat I unroll them over the the airplane carpet: one goes under the seat, one goes right below the seat. Then I slide my bag under the seat on top of the towel and after the flight they go into a ziplock for laundering.

I almost never have to access my larger bag in-flight because everything I use during the flight goes into my ditty-bag (PCSB + SSC w/ snacks & meds, etc) which clips onto the seat-back or similar:

Click image for larger version

Name:	FlightBag.png
Views:	252
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	332776

I used to travel quite a bit, and after I start doing that, along with *never* touching the seat tops, using handi-wipes to wipe down everything first, and hand sanitizer after, I haven't gotten as much as a cold in a decade. I work in healthcare and some medical directors / infectious disease experts told me about those tricks and dang if they didn't eliminate everything!

Could be coincidence, but I'm sticking with it!
                    Last edited by GrussGott; 05-30-2021, 06:25 PM.
                    Seeking Verde Aeronauts and Ursa or Coyote Synik 30 GE

Comment

I was going to order a waist strap with the SK so I could wear it as a sling bag over the shoulder, but I'll still have the shoulder strap if that's an easier way to travel with both bags. Thanks!
                      You don't need an additional waist strap to use the SideKick as a sling! Just remove the shoulder strap, shorten it as much as you can, and attach it to the waist "loops"... it attaches in exactly the same way. I find that the SK worn as a sling is slightly loose on me, but if your shoulders and chest are broader, the SK should fit just right. As always, YMMV, so hopefully others who have tried this will chime in with their experience.

The SideKick is my first Tom Bihn bag, and I use it every single day! I have it in Ursa/Coyote, which is a beautiful combination IMHO. When the Great Halcyon Shortage is over, I hope to see this combination in the Aeronaut 30!

Comment

Originally posted by kris View Post
                        The SideKick is my first Tom Bihn bag, and I use it every single day! I have it in Ursa/Coyote, which is a beautiful combination IMHO. When the Great Halcyon Shortage is over, I hope to see this combination in the Aeronaut 30!
                        Thanks for the input! Yeah, I came to Tom Bihn looking for a "casual work bag" for when I go to coffee shops and such with my 12.9" iPad Pro and accessories, and I pre-ordered a Medium Cafe Bag I think will do nicely for that. But I also ended up getting an A30 for my minimalist travel, and I'm really looking forward to ordering a Side Kick next week to carry my iPad Mini/Kindle/pocket charger and other miscellanea when I'm out on a more recreational walkabout or when I'm traveling on a plane or train, pretty much anytime I don't need to be lugging the larger iPad around … it looks like it'll be very useful. Viva la Tom Bihn
                        ---

Comment

You don't need an additional waist strap to use the SideKick as a sling! Just remove the shoulder strap, shorten it as much as you can, and attach it to the waist "loops"... it attaches in exactly the same way. I find that the SK worn as a sling is slightly loose on me, but if your shoulders and chest are broader, the SK should fit just right. As always, YMMV, so hopefully others who have tried this will chime in with their experience.

Welcome to the forums kris There have been some lovely color combinations with Ursa. (would love to see a picture posted, hint, hint). Agree that I'd like to see more of these options in the travel bags when Halcyon options increase.

moriond

Comment

You don't need an additional waist strap to use the SideKick as a sling! Just remove the shoulder strap, shorten it as much as you can, and attach it to the waist "loops"... it attaches in exactly the same way.
                            Oh -- OH! I'd been assuming the SideKick shoulder strap was a more usual loop-clip type thing … only rereading and looking closer I see it uses the same connectors no matter where it's attached! Well that's good to know. So I guess the only difference on the Waist Strap is the addition of a buckle … We'll see, I'm not sure if I'm going to wear it as a waist pack ever … I guess I can wait and see when I get it how that would feel. Thanks!

---

Comment

Oh -- OH! I'd been assuming the SideKick shoulder strap was a more usual loop-clip type thing … only rereading and looking closer I see it uses the same connectors no matter where it's attached! Well that's good to know. So I guess the only difference on the Waist Strap is the addition of a buckle … We'll see, I'm not sure if I'm going to wear it as a waist pack ever … I guess I can wait and see when I get it how that would feel. Thanks!
                              This changed with the redesign of the attachment points for the Side Kick and Daylight Briefecase as announced in the Blog on 25 JUNE 2018.
                              https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/u...oint-placement

My pictures showing the before and after were in the Discussion of New Colors, New Designs thread that got deleted. Basically, before the redesign the Side Kick had attachment points for a shoulder strap on the ends, similar to the Side Effect, but with a Broader strap and a beefier connector, This is @gochicken’s picture comparing the two bags seen on end at the time of the Side Kick’s debut:
                              Side Effect and Side Kick end view

On the left is the Side Effect, The Side Kick is on the right, This is the picture at the time the Side Kick debuted,

Now the Side Kick Connection point uses Gatekeeper clips instead of the triangular attachement point. It’s side view looks like this:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	SideKick_details1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	332847
                              The original comparison pics looked better, because I was able to find a product page picture that was taken at nearly the same angle as the first picture. But you can see the difference post June 2018

HTH

moriond

Comment

Working...
                              X