Backpack AND shoulder bag …?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moriond View Post
    This changed with the redesign of the attachment points for the Side Kick and Daylight Briefecase as announced in the Blog on 25 JUNE 2018.moriond
    Oh, wow … thanks for the history there! As a complete newcomer to Tom Bihn it's really interesting* looking back at what designs, colors, and materials have been introduced and evolved over time.

*Or frustrating, if it's something I would have wanted but missed out on.
    ---
    My Bags: Burnt Orange Side Kick Aeronaut 30 Aubergine Everyday Cubelet
    With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

Preordered: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag Canary Large Shop Bag

Comment

Originally posted by Cooner View Post

Oh, wow … thanks for the history there! As a complete newcomer to Tom Bihn it's really interesting* looking back at what designs, colors, and materials have been introduced and evolved over time.

*Or frustrating, if it's something I would have wanted but missed out on.
      What happened is that they flagged this design as possibly leading to extra wear and fraying on the strap due to catching on the zipper teeth. This also affected the placement of the triangle attachment points of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag; instead of being directly on the ends of the PCSB, the attachment points were offset like this:
      Packing Cube Shoulder Bag with offset strap points
      The current design of the Design Lab Packing Cube Shoulder Strap goes back to the original design version by placing the attachment points at the sides. They get around the zipper fraying by reversing the zipper sewn on the back -- there's a protective layer between the zipper teeth and any possible contact with the zipper teeth that might fray the strap. An alternative that they considered was using a beefier zipper with bigger individual teeth that would also be less likely to catch on the shoulder strap (but I think it was harder to quickly open and close the zipper when you were wearing this on your shoulder -- you really needed two hands to open and close in general, and also the teeth rubbed against your hand when you reached inside the bag).

I don't know how difficult it would be to similarly engineer the Daylight Briefcase (another favorite of mine) because the zipper size is not the same as for the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, so these solution methods don't necessarily scale for the larger bag (and they had a year to make the change from when they started exploring this solution before Covid-19 shut things down, and before there was a separate "Design Lab" label and project.

There are lots of fans loyal to bags that have been retired. That's why some people clamored for the Large Cafe Bag, and for the Yeoman Duffel to see encore appearances.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Working...
      X