A30 PCBP question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A30 PCBP question

(I’m sure this has been asked and answered, but my search of the forum didn’t come up with an answer...)

I’m wondering about the dimensions of the top section of the PCBP. I currently use a PCSB as an inflight organizer which I slide into the seatback pocket. It’s bigger than I need and I don’t always have use for it at my destination. I’m wondering (hoping!) that the top section of the A30 might work better.

What are the smallest dimensions of the compartment? I understand that the remainder of the bag is folded within when converting, but is there still room for a kindle, iPad mini, and earbuds?
    Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Originally posted by Traveltech View Post
    I’m wondering (hoping!) that the top section of the A30 might work better.
    Totally guesstimating but the bag looks to be 10" wide on the bottom, 9" on the top, 8" high with a thickness of 4" ... if true, and you assume the PC takes up 2" of the 4" thickness, and the Kindle fits (the ipad does), then yes!

Hopefully others with exact dimensions will reply though
    Seeking Verde Aeronauts and Ursa or Coyote Synik 30 GE

Comment

Originally posted by Traveltech View Post
      (I’m sure this has been asked and answered, but my search of the forum didn’t come up with an answer...)

I’m wondering about the dimensions of the top section of the PCBP. I currently use a PCSB as an inflight organizer which I slide into the seatback pocket. It’s bigger than I need and I don’t always have use for it at my destination. I’m wondering (hoping!) that the top section of the A30 might work better.

What are the smallest dimensions of the compartment? I understand that the remainder of the bag is folded within when converting, but is there still room for a kindle, iPad mini, and earbuds?
      You can just fit in an iPad Mini, so you can fit in a iPad Mini, Kindle, and earbuds into the top section of the PCBP for A30. But iI’m probably not the right person to answer this, since I have routinely been carrying all of those items (plus my iPhone) in a Halcyon Side Effect since 2013, although I stopped carrying the first generation iPad Mini about 1+ years ago when I got an 11” iPad Pro. See all the pictures in this post in the Side Effect is a good match for iPad mini thread

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...-for-ipad-mini

Basically, if the Side Effect is Halcyon, I could/can make it work. But since this question was asked recently in the iPad Mini in Side Effect? thread, and trustworthy people like Awesomepants said they found it too tight for current models like the iPad Mini 5, I assume you want another Need opinions: Aeronaut 30 Packing Cube Backpack

https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...in-side-effect

By way of summary, the height of the top compartment of the A30 PCBP is 6.1” from the base of the seam connecting the top portion to the bottom, up to the top seam on that bag. This is the limiting dimension for use in the Side Effect, and it is larger.

I’m going to point you to two main threads for pictures and discussion. The first one is Need opinions: Aeronaut 30 Packing Cube Backpack
      started by 10-11-2018 by bouncing This was a query by someone who envisioned using both top and bottom portions of the A30 PCBP (bottom for laptop and top for accessories), but it has photos that show the size comparisons of both compartments.
      https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...-cube-backpack

It references the original thread discussing the A30 Packing Cube Backpack in my post, which is Aeronaut 30 Packing Cube Backpack on a 6,5" person
      https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...-pcbp-question
      (to find the correct current link, take the names of the threads that I include in my posts, add the words “Tom BIHN forums” and just run a Google search — that’s all I did to get you the above link).

So here is a comparison picture of the top compartment of the A30 Packing Cube Backpack (Iberian, center), compared to the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (Island at left), and a Side Kick (Black 400dHalcyon at right) from my post

Click image for larger version  Name:	8DEC3C3C-BB2B-4D20-887C-ADB912880773.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	396.6 KB ID:	332807

This is a visual comparison of the profiles of these accessories, taken from the debut day thread that discussed the A 30 PCBP. That’s from @Badger’s post #6 in the debut day thread. The previous post #5 showed @Ilkyway’s fold-up inverting the bottom compartment of the A30. PCBP into the top, and what she can put into the top compartment (that is also holding the folded up inverted lower part of the A30 PCBP, including the sewn on backpack straps and attached waist strap as well as the fabric)

One of the things that is difficult to convey about the dimensions is that the shape of the inverted top compartment makes it difficult to quote dimensions.

Adding some pictures:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4971.JPG Views:	0 Size:	194.5 KB ID:	332823
      A30 PCBP in Island Halcyon (bottom compartment has been folded under-- this is about how much you need to invert and stuff into the top compartment to use it separately; you can compare it to the same pictures of the A30 PCBP in the Need opinions: Aeronaut 30 Packing Cube Backpack thread) Actual workable height is about 6'1". On the right side I show two pairs of the Large Swivel Double Carabiners (in Black and Northwest Sky) to be used in suspending the bag from an airline seat)
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4974.JPG Views:	0 Size:	191.4 KB ID:	332824
      This is the Standard Spiff Kit in Ultraviolet Halcyon shown above the A30 PCBP for comparison. It is probably the closest accessory bag to the size of the top compartment of the A30 PCBP. It's smaller in height (5.7") and not as wide (but the for the iPad Mini the extra width and the expanding bottom width are not necessary), and is much slimmer than the A30 PCBP top compartment inverted to act as a separate bag -- especially because the inverted compartment must hold the material from the larger inverted bottom compartment and backpack straps, plus the waist strap if you're not using this around your waist, and don't want to lose the strap). I'll show later that this could hold iPad Mini, Kindle, and earbuds compactly, but there's no simple way to suspend this from the back of an airline seat.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4975.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.2 KB ID:	332825
      This is my first generation iPad Mini in a Switcheasy hard case inside the Standard size Spiff Kit. The extra mesh pockets inside the Spiff Kit aren't particularly useful additions for this content (a Kindle could fit in one, but it's not really a useful configuration. The rectangle between the two sections of the Spiff Kit is a mirror (paper protector not removed) that can be detached from the spine (other folks have used the velcro to hold hair brushes, etc..)
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4976.JPG Views:	0 Size:	147.2 KB ID:	332826
      Here's a current Kindle Paperwhite on top of the iPad Mini inside the Spiff Kit
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4978.JPG Views:	0 Size:	131.0 KB ID:	332827
      This is what the iPad Mini and Kindle Paperwhite look like inside the inverted A30 PCBP top compartment (sorry that it is dark because of poor lighting). You can see that the inverted bottom compartment is taking up some of the bottom part on the bag.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4979.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	332828
      This is what the iPad Mini looks like lying on top of the closed, inverted A30 PCBP. You can see why giving dimensions is tricky, The opposite side -- which was the under side of the bag in the comparison pictures of the A30 PCBP top compartment with the PCSB and the Side Kick -- is what is 6.1" in my measurements, and it is shorter. The top of the inverted compartment, where the zipper is, is about the same width as the top of a Side Kick (~2"), but the bottom, where the bulk of the bottom inverted compartment is stuffed, is about 3.1" -- but it's angled in. So the inverted bag is overall wider than either the Side Kick or the Spiff Kit (and certainly wider than the 400d Halcyon Side Effect that I still prefer to use for these items), but you can't see that from the top view in the first photograph that I showed. The Carabiner Clips are attached to the webbing tabs on the outside -- these would be used to attach to a waist strap if you were using the inverted top compartment as a "bum bag", but you can also use these to suspend to the bag of an airplane seat. (I would use the Large size Carbiner Clips, though, because the webbing loops are near the center of this accessory -- whereas for the Side Effect or the earlier generation SIde Kick I would use Medium Carabiner Clips).
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4980.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.7 KB ID:	332829
      This is the top view of the iPad Mini on this compartment and you can see that the large size swivel carabiners will let this attach in a good position on the back of a seat pocket, but that their larger height is needed.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4981.JPG Views:	0 Size:	146.8 KB ID:	332830
      This is the side view with the clips attached open
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4982.JPG Views:	0 Size:	158.8 KB ID:	332831
      And zipped up (the two O-rings on the outside were inside the top compartment used as a packing cube)
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4983.JPG Views:	0 Size:	157.3 KB ID:	332832
      So this is the angled view of the A30 PCBP, zipped up, with attached Large Swivel Carabiners for suspending on the back of an airplane (or train) seat pocket. You have some impression of the depth.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4984.JPG Views:	0 Size:	156.0 KB ID:	332833
      And here's the comparison with the Spiff Kit in Ultraviolet holding the iPad Mini and Kindle in a much slimmer configuration. However, there are no suspension points for a seat pocket -- just the handles at the top. And the interior layout with two zippered mesh pockets is not particularly optimal for your purposes.

Here's my summary: The A30 PCBP used in the inverted mode for the top compartment can hold you iPad Mini, Kindle and earbuds, but I'm not clear how you intend to use this. The outer form factor in profile is more compact than the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag you are currently using, but it's actually wider at the bottom, and you have to use some of that space to hold the inverted lower compartment of the A30 PCBP.

I'm not clear on what your envisioned usage profile is. You might want to ask melminimalist who is an enthusiastic supporter of the A30 PCBP, about this. I can see why she really likes this bag, because she uses both the backpack and the converted top compartment separately as "bum bag" for multiple uses. But from your description, you seem to be trying to use the top compartment as a personal item while traveling (perhaps on a plane)? It seems to me that you lose the advantages of using this as a packing cube for your luggage, since you have to keep this with you while you are flying (so it can't be used as a packing cube). Furthermore, about 35%-40% of the compartment is holding the bottom compartment of the A30 PCBP, so you don't get full use of the compartment. If you have plans to use this in Backpack mode at your destination, then this would be more worthwhile.

I personally use my 400d Original Halcyon Side Effect for this. I'll show the pictures from the earlier linked thread of my use. While it is true that you don't fit a lot into the Side Effect when the iPad Mini is there, how much room do you need? I showed the fit of Kindle, iPad Mini, iPhone, wifi connector point, pen, Clear Organizer Wallet, and I could fit earbuds in there (the views of the inside show pockets on two different sides)
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0071.PNG Views:	0 Size:	305.1 KB ID:	332834
      Ipad Mini (first generation) in Switcheasy hard case and Kindle Paperwhite in 400d Original Halcyon Side Effect. Opposite side pockets hold iPhone and wifi connection point
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0072.PNG Views:	0 Size:	317.2 KB ID:	332835
      Contents spread out:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0073.PNG Views:	0 Size:	178.3 KB ID:	332836

This really is an iPad Mini (cover open)
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_23506.png Views:	4 Size:	214.5 KB ID:	332822
      Hope this helps. This is still what I use.

moriond

ETA: To see how this works as an airline seat bag, I'm including an old (01-17-2014) photo from the Double Carabiner, 4 thumbs up! thread
      https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...er-4-thumbs-up

Original Halcyon Side Effect holding iPad Mini, Kindle, etc.
      Last edited by moriond; 06-02-2021, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks so much for these detailed answers. I have a halcyon SE and will check out the functionality. I’ve been intrigued by the A30 PSBP for a while and I’m trying to justify the purchase. But you’re correct, I might be compromising some functionality.
        Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Comment

Working...
        X