Internal space in the Pilot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal space in the Pilot?

Hey folks! A question for anyone with a Pilot carryon … How deep is the main compartment in the Pilot personal carryon? I see the whole bag is listed as about 5" deep, but how much of that space is taken up by the compartments on the front?

I'm also wondering about packing cubes for it. Since the overall size of the bag is about 11x15", it seems I could probably squeeze a couple slightly underpacked small A30 packing cubes into it, if it's deep enough? Alternately, I still have a few old eBags packing cubes tucked away … The small is about 11x7x3" so it seems a couple of those might fit inside as well.

I'm kind of thinking aloud here … I'm still pondering whether I'll order an Aeronaut 45 when they become available in Burnt Orange again, but I was thinking as an alternative I could get a Pilot to supplement my A30. Potential benefits: (1) I'm a pretty light packer, but if I'm making a trip where the A30 absolutely won't fit everything, bringing the Pilot as my personal item would add a few more liters carry space. (2) If I'm flying regional flights I don't have to worry about the A45 not fitting in the overhead bins, as long as I can stow the Pilot under the seat. And (3) if I'm taking a REALLY short trip of a day or two, I could probably do an ultralight pack and travel just using the Pilot.

Again, nothing urgent, I'm just mentally plotting for future travel plans … I've already got my Side Kick and Everyday Cubelet in the mail and my Medium Cafe Bag and Large Shop Bag hopefully shipping in July, so I've got no shortage of bags to look forward to for a couple months.
    ---
    My Bags: Burnt Orange Side Kick Aeronaut 30 Aubergine Everyday Cubelet
    With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

Preordered: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag Canary Large Shop Bag

Admittedly an unscientific test, but I put four large books with a combined thickness of just over 4 inches in the main compartment, and was still able to slide a packed Side Effect into a front pocket directly on top of the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalonian View Post
      Admittedly an unscientific test, but I put four large books with a combined thickness of just over 4 inches in the main compartment, and was still able to slide a packed Side Effect into a front pocket directly on top of the books.
      That’s a … surprisingly instructive test! So it sounds like most of the depth of the bag is usable in the main compartment. Thanks so much for the information! 👍
      ---

Comment

Originally posted by Cooner View Post

That’s a … surprisingly instructive test! So it sounds like most of the depth of the bag is usable in the main compartment. Thanks so much for the information! 👍
        Cooner
        This is somewhat tricky to answer, because you can push more into the main compartment if you are stashing books which don’t take up the full length of the compartment. What happens then is that the halcyon “wall” dividing the main compartment from the water bottle pocket and the two side zippered pockets at the front of the Pilot will flex forward to accommodate the books. However, if you were trying to use that back compartment space for notebooks or binders holding US letter paper (8.5” x 12”), where that 12” is longer than the typical book, then you can’t get 4” worth of depth into the back compartment because the anchor point seams of where that Halcyon dividing wall is attached to the sides of the Pilot won’t permit it.

To see what I’m talking about, take a look at the photos in the old Books/binders in pilots? thread from 04-18-2014. On the first page, jmoz shows a picture with two Harry Potter hardcover books in the Pilot (1050d Navy Ballistic with Solar interior)
        https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...ders-in-pilots
        ​​
        but on the second page of that thread, I show the maximum thickness of binders that I can fit into the Pilot

​​
        I could just manage to fit a standard 2” binder with two 1” binders(nearly empty) on either into the back and zip it up. There’s more discussion later in the thread about difficulties using this with a 3” binder (more difficult if this is slant type or D-ring). It’s better if you are using a lot of 1/2” wide binders.

One of the neat features of many Tom Bihn bags is the way that space usage can be redistributed. So you can fill the back compartment more if you’re willing to use less space in the front compartments.

For another view of the Pilot in a user video see the video at this link under the Your Videos stickythread.

There did used to be Pilot Packing Cubes in Halcyon, but they were retired. See this March 14, 2018 blog post
        ETA: The largest accessory that I can easily fit into a front side pocket of the Pilot is a standard Spiff Kit:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by moriond; 06-12-2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

moriond … Thanks again for all the info and links! Very helpful. Heh, actually I wasn't even thinking of ACTUALLY packing books or binders -- more a couple changes of clothes and other typical travel stuff, and I usually travel with my Kindle for reading to save space -- but the point is well taken.

I guess mostly I was wondering how much space the front pockets used and how much structure they have, and whether that eats much away from the full depth of the bag in the main compartment … It sounds like not very much, as long as the front pockets aren't overstuffed. I'd most likely be planning to pack a couple small packing cubes or some rolled clothes, and maybe my very thin Macbook or iPad Pro in there, which sounds like it should work. If I'm off base there feel free to let me know … but otherwise thanks again! ❤️
          ---

Comment

moriondand maybe my very thin Macbook or iPad Pro in there, which sounds like it should work
            Which Macbook and what size iPad Pro? My 12.9” 2018 Pro with the keyboard folio fits, but it’s not ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomepants View Post
              Which Macbook and what size iPad Pro? My 12.9” 2018 Pro with the keyboard folio fits, but it’s not ideal.
              Macbook 12" from 2017, and iPad Pro 12.9" (currently a 2018 model; a 2021 M1 replacement is in the order processing queue. 😉) But I actually don't travel with them very often, unless I need to do some work or long-form writing while on the road … I have an iPad Mini with cellular service and a compact ZAGG bluetooth keyboard I usually use when traveling.

It's good to know even that it does fit, if imperfectly, though, as that would be only an occasionally gotta-do-it thing. Thank you!
              ---

Comment

My work travel loadout for a bunch of years was an A45 and a Pilot. The A45 is a fantastic bag but I needed the separate laptop bag to take onsite to customers rather than carting the A45.

I never had an issue fitting the A45 into an overhead bin of a regional jet. I would normally pack it with 1 large packing cube and 2 small cubes in the main compartment, 1 end cube (with shoes) in one end pocket and miscellaneous stuff in the other one. I don't think it was ever really fully packed though (it is a *big* bag).

I've been a fan of the Surface Pro as a work laptop for years, and that fit fine in the Pilot using one of the Cache's with space for other junk in the main compartment - normally a kindle in one pocket, large USB battery charger in the other and then documents or other stuff.

I have the packing cubes for the pilot but only ever used the front pocket one to dump all my power cords and misc tech stuff. I never used the main compartment one to pack clothes since I always had enough room in the A45.

I have since downsized from both of those bags to just a Synik 30 which I love. There are tradeoffs (carting a 2nd pair of shoes involves tradeoffs, whereas with the A45 that was never an issue) but nice to just have the single bag to tote around.

Comment

Macbook 12" from 2017, and iPad Pro 12.9" (currently a 2018 model; a 2021 M1 replacement is in the order processing queue. 😉) But I actually don't travel with them very often, unless I need to do some work or long-form writing while on the road … I have an iPad Mini with cellular service and a compact ZAGG bluetooth keyboard I usually use when traveling.

It's good to know even that it does fit, if imperfectly, though, as that would be only an occasionally gotta-do-it thing. Thank you!
                  I made an incorrect statement earlier, my apologies. I was remembering the 12.9 iPad in my Co-Pilot. It fit in there but was a bit tight which is why I bought the Pilot originally. You’ll be fine with those two device in the Pilot. LMK if you need photos or anything, I have both of those devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomepants View Post
                    I made an incorrect statement earlier, my apologies.
                    No need to apologize, that’s even better news. Thanks for the update!
                    ---

Comment

Working...
                    X