Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,737   Posts: 190,252   Members: 6,598   Active Members: 269
Welcome to our newest member, RagnGingr.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How useful do you find the Medium sized Yeoman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How useful do you find the Medium sized Yeoman?

I’m wondering whether I should order a Medium Yeoman on Wednesday to complete the set. I already have a Steel Mini, a Navy Small and a Black Large (which is mostly used to store things under my bed). I also have a RB36 for when the Small is too small and the RB36 can already get quite heavy when I need to carry it for a longer time… The Road Buddy is sometimes slightly too small for my taste when I take the car and pack the kitchen sink, but then I can always just split the stuff into two bags if necessary. I’m actually wondering if it might not be nicer to buy a big Road Buddy in case they bring it back next year (that way there would be some built in organization). Although 44 and 60 litres is quite a size difference of course.

How do you use the Medium size? If you have more than one size, is the Medium useful to have? I’m also tempted to duplicate my Mini or Small, but I like the colors I have and there isn’t really a need right now (the Navy was a case of taking what was available in the end, but it actually grew on me).

I’ll be watching for some responses to this! My wife has a mini Aubergine YD that she loves as a supplement to her A30 for road trips. We just got a steel small YD as a trade for my NFTD that I never really used. I know I want to get a navy mini YD to supplement my A45, and a 2nd small (probably Coyote or Verde for some variety) for short trips when I don’t need all the space of my A45 but we still need the other one for shared or dog stuff. So then the question becomes whether I also want to get a medium or large. I can’t imagine a regular use for a large, so I think it’s really just medium or not.

Comment

autolycus The large is truly large! I bought the very last bag available at that time, but I didn’t really realise how big this was. Mine is black, truly a black hole. I can’t imagine ever needing that much space for packing clothes and personal stuff, but I can see it being useful for transporting things like bedding, that kind of thing. Mine is used exclusively for storage right now.

Now that I’m thinking about it, the RB60 is just 11 litres less than the large Yeoman… It would probably be too big for my use case too.
      Last edited by b1gsky; 06-22-2021, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Actually, I find the medium to be the most useful size for me and the quintessential middle/default bag. I don't find the mini size to be terribly useful for my purposes as I tend to want to be able to toss another sweater or oddity into my bags. I will be picking up a small to see how I like it. However under 30L I generally prefer backpacks.

I picked mediums and larges when I first bought Yeomen and they're perfect for fitting everything I want. You can find that most of the average duffel market, especially with one size bags, are 40-45L. I use medium Yeomen in my car for wintertime car kits (spare set of men's winter boots, gloves/hat/scarf, hand warmers, jumper cables, flashlight, etc.) and they fit all of that perfectly. I should be able to squeeze my squishier boots in as well, they are not full yet.

In my opinion, the volume is the most important variable for this whole conversation. Organization does make a difference between medium Yeo/44L and RB36, but if you're just hauling items around and wanting a TB duffel, it's the volume that is most important.
        Aeronaut 45 | Aeronaut 45 Packing Cube Shoulder Bag |Yeomen

Comment

I use my medium Yeoman as a simple Aeronaut 45 replacement. It fits 2 large A45 cubes, and end cubes or PCSB plus a pouch on top. A minimalist A45 when you consider similar dimensions and capacity. When large yeoman is too big and medium is too small. I have not used it for any flights because I like my Aeronaut for that. Outside of travel the medium works nice in one spot when I use them as storage at home.

To answer your question about use, I would put my most useful to least useful: Large, Mini, Small, Medium. (Past 1.5 years have been at home so use case as storage with the large yeoman work the best for that (ps a "banker's box" fits perfect in the large and make them great storage containers). The mini are great for day trip and small organization. Smalls get used for some of each and mediums in my use are too big and small for some of my uses. I will end saying get every size because my experience shown me that one of the four sizes is always perfect for a task so spare will get used sometime.

Comment

Thanks for your input julia and organicfarmer - I do prefer one bigger bag to carrying several smaller ones, so I think I will go for it and get the medium as a bigger alternative to my RB36 for the occasional car trip. I probably wouldn’t fly with the medium, but I used the RB36 and the small Yeoman for travel by plane or train successfully in the past. I like having my clothes and toiletries in a duffel and my personal EDC stuff in a different bag, I’m definitely not into one bag travel.

Comment

I also use the Medium Yeoman as a simple Aeronaut 45 replacement, for casual travel, so my husband can pack his stuff, in the "open the bag and put stuff in it", style.

It leaves me more time to organize my personal item, which means the TB EDC used at the time, in maximal marsupial mode, which means a Daylight Backpack, S19, Swift or Large Shop Bag with TB Accessories, assigned or re-organized for items, I know, will be using.

As well as precise pack, using Packing Cube Backpacks and other TB accessories, my Tristar or Aeronaute carry on, as well as his personal item with essentials.

Comment

Originally posted by b1gsky View Post
                Thanks for your input julia and organicfarmer - I do prefer one bigger bag to carrying several smaller ones, so I think I will go for it and get the medium as a bigger alternative to my RB36 for the occasional car trip. I probably wouldn’t fly with the medium, but I used the RB36 and the small Yeoman for travel by plane or train successfully in the past. I like having my clothes and toiletries in a duffel and my personal EDC stuff in a different bag, I’m definitely not into one bag travel.
                I regularly use Mini and Small, rarely used the Medium (now sold) and never had the Large (way too big for me). I do also use the RB36 and a NFTD. For ease of handling I think that I prefer two smaller sized bags rather than one big as that is just too heavy for me when full and also not so easy to squeeze into the car if that is the transport of the day. Usually it is more likely to be train travel.
                I am so pleased that the YDs are reappearing though, but, but, but now there are even more lovely colours to choose from!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KAB View Post

I regularly use Mini and Small, rarely used the Medium (now sold) and never had the Large (way too big for me). I do also use the RB36 and a NFTD. For ease of handling I think that I prefer two smaller sized bags rather than one big as that is just too heavy for me when full and also not so easy to squeeze into the car if that is the transport of the day. Usually it is more likely to be train travel.
                  I am so pleased that the YDs are reappearing though, but, but, but now there are even more lovely colours to choose from!!!!!!!
                  Just curious as to why you didn't use the Medium. Was it too large? I was thinking of getting one to use for multi day travel when I don't want to deal with a backpack design. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by WineCountry View Post

Just curious as to why you didn't use the Medium. Was it too large? I was thinking of getting one to use for multi day travel when I don't want to deal with a backpack design. Thanks.
                    At 44L just that bit too big....I found the RB36 better for me when needing a bag of that sort of size.

Comment

KAB Now you're making me wonder if it would not make more sense to get a second small Yeoman as a backup instead... I do love my RB36 and most of the time it offers plenty enough of room for me. I agree that the medium YD would probably be too heavy for me when full to carry for very long.

Comment

Originally posted by KAB View Post
                        Agree, I'm really torn on colors. I'm lucky that I don't like Cordura as a fabric, but even with the ballistics it's difficult. My alltime neutral favourite is Steel, but then the Black with the Blackout label is pretty cool too and Aubergine is also lovely...

Comment

So far I have the same order of preference as organicfarmer
                          Large I use as moveable storage; mini lives in the car with extra clothes and a second is used for random things... I've take the small car camping - it holds clothes & everything I leave in my tent. The medium has only been used once so far, to bring camping supplies that are bulky but not super heavy - it stayed in the car the whole time.
                          I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

G42 Thanks - I could also get a second Mini instead... I love the Mini, it's just so cute! I think the all black Mini looks pretty cool. Maybe another Mini would actually get the most use.

Comment

Originally posted by b1gsky View Post
                              G42 Thanks - I could also get a second Mini instead... I love the Mini, it's just so cute! I think the all black Mini looks pretty cool. Maybe another Mini would actually get the most use.
                              I'm probably getting another mini tomorrow, in one of the Corduras
                              I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Working...
                              X