Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,580   Posts: 188,314   Members: 6,539   Active Members: 284
Welcome to our newest member, RosellaFvg.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Padded Hip Belt Pocket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Padded Hip Belt Pocket Question

We’ll I got it and am excited to use it for a water/tea bottle, but after playing with it for a bit on my synik with padded hip belt, I’m wondering how to prevent it from falling right off the padded hip belt every time I put down my synik.
    Ideas?

I’m waiting for this along with the LGD to arrive and have been wondering about this too. One thought I had was to sew in some Velcro patches to help keep it in place, might have to play around with that once they arrive. There’s probably an easier way to stabilize with some paracord or even a key strap, but I’d need to have them in hand before figuring that out.
    S25, HLT2, LGD
    Waiting on: T30, PU

Comment

I've wondered about this too but haven't tried anything yet. My one idea was to use a strap keeper to bind together the cinch straps on the pocket and the LGD.

Comment

Originally posted by afstein View Post
        We’ll I got it and am excited to use it for a water/tea bottle, but after playing with it for a bit on my synik with padded hip belt, I’m wondering how to prevent it from falling right off the padded hip belt every time I put down my synik.
        Ideas?
        I'm waiting for mine, but why does it fall off? Because strap can slip out?

Click image for larger version

Name:	wbp.png
Views:	330
Size:	623.9 KB
ID:	334774

Comment

From the product description: "be mindful when unclipping your LGD hip belt: put one hand on the side of the hip belt that has the Hip Belt Pocket + water bottle and grasp the hip belt, unclip, and keep hold of the LGD until you’re ready to hang it up or set it down."

The padded pocket was designed to be threaded onto a hip belt, ideally a padded hip belt; it does not attach. So when you unclip the hip belt, you hold onto the side with the pocket and set it down carefully; dangle it from the side w/the pocket; or clip the belt together - so it doesn't fall off.
          Last edited by G42; 08-03-2021, 06:02 PM.
          I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Yeah I understand but I’d like a way to just keep it attached to the padded hip belt all the time so I don’t have to worry about it falling/sitting on the ground every time I take off the synik

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

I'm waiting for mine, but why does it fall off? Because strap can slip out?
              It does this on Synapse/Synik when the hip belt is unclipped - the belt will pivot downwards under weight, and the pocket will slip off if not held on:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4730.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	334827

Hence the recommendation also applies to the backpack hip belts:

Originally posted by G42 View Post
              From the product description: "be mindful when unclipping your LGD hip belt: put one hand on the side of the hip belt that has the Hip Belt Pocket + water bottle and grasp the hip belt, unclip, and keep hold of the LGD until you’re ready to hang it up or set it down."

The padded pocket was designed to be threaded onto a hip belt, ideally a padded hip belt; it does not attach. So when you unclip the hip belt, you hold onto the side with the pocket and set it down carefully; dangle it from the side w/the pocket; or clip the belt together - so it doesn't fall off.
              I alluded to this too in the rifugio hiking post.

Comment

I have had this problem myself. Thankfully didn’t break yet another Contigo lid but I did dent my floor! I did try attaching it with a key strap but I can’t stand how it looks so I’m not using it right now.

Comment

I have a pretty good solution and thankfully, it is easy, looks consistent with the whole TB setup and is reproduceable.

I used a 1” Single Gatekeeper clip to attach the Pocket to the Padded Hip Belt.

Single Gatekeeper clips are a part that I don’t think are still in active use, but I checked with customer service and Cody has updated the Parts page to reflect the current plentiful stock levels. (Thanks Cody!) Edited to add: If you’re inclined towards modifying your setup in any way, I would throw a couple of gatekeepers into your next order. There are a lot in stock now but they are not needed anymore so they won’t be restocked.

Parts page:
                  https://www.tombihn.com/products/parts?variant=16645154119

Pic of my setup
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	EE032D06-84EA-491A-B724-F9D8D3E76EF7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	124.0 KB ID:	335075 Click image for larger version  Name:	41399D7F-BE5A-4EA9-8C6F-F851CF14C541.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	131.8 KB ID:	335076 Click image for larger version  Name:	BA579141-895A-4E08-A3D8-15425E634F9A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	152.6 KB ID:	335077
                  Last edited by Cristina; 08-14-2021, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
                    If you’re inclined towards modifying your setup in any way, I would throw a couple of gatekeepers into your next order. There are a lot in stock now but they are not needed anymore so they won’t be restocked.
                    I second this! I used them similarly to attach a Side Effect to my bike via its waist strap. Having four gatekeeper attachment points instead of two makes it much more stable on the bike:

Comment

Originally posted by Cristina View Post
                      I have a pretty good solution and thankfully, it is easy, looks consistent with the whole TB setup and is reproduceable.

I used a 1” Single Gatekeeper clip to attach the Pocket to the Padded Hip Belt.

Single Gatekeeper clips are a part that I don’t think are still in active use, but I checked with customer service and Cody has updated the Parts page to reflect the current plentiful stock levels. (Thanks Cody!) Edited to add: If you’re inclined towards modifying your setup in any way, I would throw a couple of gatekeepers into your next order. There are a lot in stock now but they are not needed anymore so they won’t be restocked.

Parts page:
                      https://www.tombihn.com/products/parts?variant=16645154119

Pic of my setup
                      Click image for larger version Name:	EE032D06-84EA-491A-B724-F9D8D3E76EF7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	124.0 KB ID:	335075 Click image for larger version Name:	41399D7F-BE5A-4EA9-8C6F-F851CF14C541.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	131.8 KB ID:	335076 Click image for larger version Name:	BA579141-895A-4E08-A3D8-15425E634F9A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	152.6 KB ID:	335077
                      I love it! Thanks so much! And I have some extras I think! From Cody of course when I last visited the showroom before the pandemic!

Comment

Working...
                      X