Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,580   Posts: 188,314   Members: 6,539   Active Members: 284
Welcome to our newest member, RosellaFvg.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original Large Shop Bag: 1000 Cordura vs 210 Ballistic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Large Shop Bag: 1000 Cordura vs 210 Ballistic?

Question for all you Shop Bag owners and fans!

This summer I preordered an OLSB in Canary 1000 Cordura, planning to use it for beach trips and picnics and such. Haven't had a chance to use it as such yet, but I do like the size and design of the bag.

Today I realized it's about the right size to replace an old canvas bag I use at conventions, primarily to lug a heavy stack of sketchbooks back and forth between the convention space and my hotel room. (The shoulder padding on the straps seems like it would be a good feature there too.) I'll often have a stack of eight, ten, twelve books to stuff in there, so it gets pretty heavy.

Ideally I'd like something that packs a little smaller and lighter in my carryon for the trip, though (and, let's be honest, a different color). I'm wondering how strong the 210 Ballistic is in shop bag form? Would it be sturdy enough to carry that sort of weight back and forth a few times over a long weekend?

Thanks y'all, hope you're all staying safe and sane.
    ---
    My Bags: Burnt Orange Medium Cafe BagSide Kick Co-Pilot Aeronaut 30
    Canary Large Shop Bag Dawn Large Shop BagAubergine Everyday Cubelet
    With: Island Packing CubesTravel Tray Cubelet Dawn Wallet

I've personally never had an issue with either size Shop Bag in any of the materials with regards to weight. My arm gives out before the bag even notices
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
      I've personally never had an issue with either size Shop Bag in any of the materials with regards to weight. My arm gives out before the bag even notices
      Awesome, thanks! guess i’ll have to watch for when they’re back in stock soon.
      ---

Comment

Sadly currently not an option, but halcyon shop bags are my preference as they pack very flat. No doubts about their capacity to carry any load - whatever material.

Comment

I have shop bags in 400d halcyon and 210d ballistic and I can't tell which bag is "stronger." I treat them both the same and frequently load them up with 40+ lbs on stuff.
          Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

EDC: Side Kick, Everday Cubelet, DL PCSB (planner pouch); Travel: Smart Alec + Side Kick, Small Yeoman Duffel

Comment

Originally posted by BigBadD View Post
            Sadly currently not an option, but halcyon shop bags are my preference as they pack very flat. No doubts about their capacity to carry any load - whatever material.
            Yeah, that sounds nice and packable … unfortunately gotta take the (inventory) hand that's dealt us at any given time I guess. XD Thanks!
            ---

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
              To expand on G42 's comment, here's a link to the "bowling ball" test video that was made in 2019:
              Originally posted by Darcy View Post
              Here's what we were able to do today:

Dropping a Bowling Ball into a Shop Bag

First drop was at 4 feet, second drop was at eight feet. No resulting issues w/the Shop Bag. Bowling ball is 14.53 lbs.

Music credit for the first video: our break time clock.

We'll save a higher drop for our Materials Testing: 2020 video
              This quote is from the 10-30-2019 post that Darcy made (originally in a thread about material strength, that started with a question about the Large Yeoman Duffel (LYD question)
              Note that this is with a regular 200d Halcyon Shop Bag.

I'll note that although the Shop Bags are not particularly designed to fold down a lot, when the large zip-top shop bag debuted, I took one of these with me on a combined work and personal trip to China and Europe, and just folded the Large Shop Bag in Northwest Sky Halcyon into the pocket of my rain jacket (for reference I’m under 5’4” and wear Women’s Petite Small or Medium clothing).

The pictures of this are up in the Zip top shop bag question.thread from 09-20-2018 started byKelly S
              https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...p-bag-question
              scroll down to my post #7 (dated 10-16-2018) to see the pictures, including the folded Large ZIp Top Shop Bag in Northwest Sky Halcyon lying on top of one pocket, with a Kindle Paperwhite lying on top of the other pocket. (For background information, there was no special folding, and a typhoon had passed by in China while I ended up having to do grocery shopping in Vienna (where there was also light rain), and I could keep the Shop Bag in my jacket pocket and walk into museums without having to check anything, the. Pick up groceries before I got back at the end of the day.

Here are a few excerpted pictures from that post:

Folded Large Zip-Top Shop Bag inside pocket of Rain Jacket
              The folded Large Zip-Top Shop Bag is inside the zipped up pocket on the right. A Kindle Paperwhite overlies the pocket at the left to give an idea of size. This is the Medium size Nau Lightbeam rain jacket (more about this including a video at the parent post link)

Folded Large Zip Top Shop Bag overlying pocket of rain jacket
              Just so you can see, I flat packed/folded the Large zip top shop bag in NW Sky and laid it on top of the pocket. You don't need to do any special folding. (I don't generally use the method of folding the shop bag into its own pocket that is shown in a video that is also included in my post. There are two reasons: (1) I use the shop bags so frequently that it isn't worthwhile to fold them up and store them that way and (2) if I want to fit the shop bag into a random shape, requiring that I fold it into a large, square pocket isn't very useful).

[email protected] suggested, I find Halcyon the easiest to fold, but you can try something like 210d Black Ballistic Nylon instead. Some colors (like 210d Dawn) I generally find to be stiffer. 210d Island seems pretty flexible.

I usually prefer to use the Original Shop Bag (rather than Zip-Top).

HTH

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                [email protected] suggested, I find Halcyon the easiest to fold, but you can try something like 210d Black Ballistic Nylon instead. Some colors (like 210d Dawn) I generally find to be stiffer. 210d Island seems pretty flexible.

I usually prefer to use the Original Shop Bag (rather than Zip-Top).
                Thanks for all the info! Yeah, I'd tend to just get the Original Shop Bag for this purpose; I'm just carrying a stack of sketchbook from a convention center to my hotel room and don't really need it to zip up, plus I suspect the zipper construction would make folding it flat for packing a bit trickier.

Unfortunately they don't seem to have any Halcyon on the menu, but I suspect I can get by with 210 Ballistic; most of the supplies in my convention bag are packed flat/layered so it should fit easily enough among my other stuff for travel purposes.

Heh. Despite the stiffness, I made a discovery today that will make me very tempted to order the Dawn color: I compared my Dawn Nik's Wallet today and it VERY CLOSELY matches the color of the Samsonite underseat rollerbag I use for con supplies that it would be living inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4728.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	4.73 MB
ID:	335063

Thanks again!
                ---

Comment

Working...
                X