Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,580   Posts: 188,314   Members: 6,539   Active Members: 284
Welcome to our newest member, RosellaFvg.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synik or Synapse for Business Travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

I also love the S30 because the EC large PC I use for the TS & WF also fits in the S30, as does the DLBP ... and you can fit two!
    Can you elaborate a bit more on this? I’m planning to order a SN30 when the one I want is back in stock and would like to be prepared when/if packing cubes return to production. Also, I’d love an excuse to buy a DLBP, so hearing how you use them together could be just that.

Comment

Originally posted by BF67 View Post

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? I’m planning to order a SN30 when the one I want is back in stock and would like to be prepared when/if packing cubes return to production. Also, I’d love an excuse to buy a DLBP, so hearing how you use them together could be just that.
      Sure:

(1.) The Eagle Creek large packing cubes - unfortunately they don't make them anymore as EC is shutting down so you might be able to find them still, but essentially the large WF cube or large TS cubes will fit. The other external options are the peak design 1 medium and 1 small which will fit perfectly in the S30.

(2.) The DLBP will also work great, albeit with 2 disadvantages: (a.) the top of the bag angles in so you lose some space there (but so does the S30 so it's kinda nice actually), and (b.) the DLBP doesn't open clamshell like a packing cube. If you don't mind those issues, then it works great and you get a nice daypack for your trip!

I can do some pics tomorrow if that'll help ...

Comment

Originally posted by GrussGott View Post

Sure:

(1.) The Eagle Creek large packing cubes - unfortunately they don't make them anymore as EC is shutting down so you might be able to find them still, but essentially the large WF cube or large TS cubes will fit. The other external options are the peak design 1 medium and 1 small which will fit perfectly in the S30.

(2.) The DLBP will also work great, albeit with 2 disadvantages: (a.) the top of the bag angles in so you lose some space there (but so does the S30 so it's kinda nice actually), and (b.) the DLBP doesn't open clamshell like a packing cube. If you don't mind those issues, then it works great and you get a nice daypack for your trip!

I can do some pics tomorrow if that'll help ...
        Thanks! I think I get the idea. Do you have an opinion on how other TB packing cube backpacks compare to this use case?

Comment

Originally posted by BF67 View Post

Thanks! I think I get the idea. Do you have an opinion on how other TB packing cube backpacks compare to this use case?
          yes, although I haven't tried them so maybe G42 or others who have them can comment ... for me I built a little tool in Google Slides using the rulers to make rectangle shapes of everything I was considering and then you can move them around to see how they'd fit; it's not perfect because not everything is square, but it's worked well for me over the years.

In any event, the TS/WF PCBP will be fine of course, as will the A30, but the A45 will be a little too wide. I usually don't let that stop me, but it won't be a perfect fit.

A lot of it comes down to how you pack: do you want one large cube or few smaller? Will the main compartment be all clothes or will you bring other stuff? Are you willing to stuff it full or does it need to go under the seat of a smaller aircraft?

I tend to prefer and use 1 or 2 large cubes for everything - that way I pull out that 1 cube with a handle (like the EC), use it like a drawer w/ a zipper, and I'm unpacked! I'll usually do 1 cube of undies/socks/t-shirts and one with shirts/pants/jackets. The main bag then becomes electronics / camera stuff storage.

Comment

When the Synik family was launched, TB put together an FAQ blog post https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/synik-faq

and there's a section on what cubes fit in each of them, so check that part out https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/synik-faq#cubeme

as GrussGott mentioned, a lot comes down to what you want to carry and how you like it organized... so take a peek at the FAQ vs what you think you want to carry

There are a lot of Forum posts about specific pack outs people have tried.
            Here's a post I did when the Synik's were first launched and I was hoping that the SN30 would work for me (I decided that it was a touch too long for my torso just like the S25, so sent it on to another Mod)
            https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...and-smart-alec

Something else that may be useful if you want a visual/3D method is to pull out everything you think you want to bring and then arrange it all in 3D stacks that are sized to the cubes that fit in the bags...use a piece of paper cut to size for the footprint and then use a ruler to estimate the vertical height of each stack. I'm not great at estimating volumes so I find this method of stacking by how I want to pack vs the size of a bag or cubes to be useful if I'm contemplating a new bag.

ETA, and this was a chart I had put together at one point regarding the way I view the size/complexity of space of the main bags:

https://forums.tombihn.com/filedata/...6&d=1621181503

part of the thread:
            https://forums.tombihn.com/forum/tom...283#post332283

Plus here are the FAQs for the cube and bag sizes from TB
            https://www.tombihn.com/pages/dimens...s#packing-cube
            Last edited by G42; 09-06-2021, 07:25 PM.
            I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

GrussGott & G42 Thanks!

I’ve got some research/guesstimating to do while I wait for the right SN30 to be stocked. In the meantime, I may snag the DLBP.

I wonder if we’ll see a DLBP in Night Walk with the webbing backpack straps?

Comment

Working...
              X