Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,525   Posts: 187,782   Members: 6,486   Active Members: 307
Welcome to our newest member, ozzyrussell.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard or Easy to Add Velcro Field on Synapse 25 for Morale Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard or Easy to Add Velcro Field on Synapse 25 for Morale Patches

Hi ya'll. I recently went back to school and saved up some money for a decent backpack. I'm currently rocking my wife's old Jansport from her school days and it's killing me. Of the bags I've seen a Synapse 25 honestly seems perfect, but one thing that's missing for me is a morale patch field. I collect patches and think it's fun to display a patch and change it with moods or seasons or whatever. All of the backpacks I've found that come with morale patch fields are missing one thing or another, or look way too bro-y and tacticool. I ain't in the military and am not a vet so the extreme tactical look doesn't work with me.

Now the question, how hard would it be for me to sew on a velcro field, about 2x3 or slightly bigger, where the logo currently sits? If I pay a seamstress to do this would they be able to? Gutting and reconstructing a pack is too advanced for me and I wouldn't trust a random seamstress to do that either heh.

For waterproofing the new seams I imagine I can apply the stuff you use on tents to seal the thread.

Pardon the strange topic, and it's my first post too! I was gonna post on a reddit subreddit but idk who would know and I thought I'd come here to where the fans live. I've found lots of help from ya'll on my google searches.'

Thanks for spending the time reading this and i hope you have a good week

Welcome to the Forums bored_and_agitated !

Your plan sounds feasible, any good seamstress should be able to do it. There are photos in the Yeoman description (I think) showing folks sewing patches directly to the bags.
    Keep in mind it would affect the warranty of just that area/aspect of the bag and if you ever want to sell it, may reduce who would be interested. Not huge impediments if it's what you want
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Welcome to the forums! I second the idea of getting a seamstress to do it, as I would think you'd want the velcro sewn on by machine. Home sewing machines may not have a standard needle tough enough to sew through nylon and velcro. Maybe putting it on over what would be the water bottle pocket makes sense. Even if if let some moisture through in a rainstorm, it wouldn't be so bad there. Would love to see how it comes out and all your patches!

Comment

Ok ya'll have given me more confidence in the plan! Is the water bottle pocket under the Tom Bihn logo?

I'd love to show my patches but most of them are dumb anime references and internet memes heh. They make me laugh though.

Comment

I want to do the same thing, but non-permanently and for various nerdy/geeky patches. Have you seen products like Magnepatch? They are essentially the super strong magnetic name badges, but instead of a name badge, you get a velcro field for your patching enjoyment.
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comment

Here's a link! https://www.facebook.com/magnepatch/
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comment

OH! What about sticking velcro to these as a prototype? https://www.amazon.com/ExcelMark-Nam.../dp/B01EXIC480

Comment

Working...
              X