Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,527   Posts: 187,804   Members: 6,491   Active Members: 305
Welcome to our newest member, mikebb.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hemp Fabric Durability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hemp Fabric Durability?

I've had my swift for... years. Well over a decade, I believe, but I can't recall because it was a holiday gift. It's an amazing bag and I love it.

That said, I have a version with the hemp fabric on one side, and in the past year or so I've noticed that the hemp is not holding up as well as the rest of the bag. It's separating from the black backing, leaving what are basically holes, in that the backing is gone and just the woven hemp remains. It still structurally sound, for the moment, but at this point, in those spots, it's only as strong as strands of hemp itself (which, luckily, seems to be pretty strong).

I've never machine washed it or anything, and have treated it fairly well (I mean, I've used it consistently and I don't baby it, but I definitely don't abuse it). Has anyone else had this issue with the hemp fabric over time, or did I just run into bad luck?

Welcome to the Forums smacca

Hemp was before my TB time - others folks may chime in but you can also always contact the fine folks in Customer Service.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by smacca View Post
      I've had my swift for... years. Well over a decade, I believe, but I can't recall because it was a holiday gift. It's an amazing bag and I love it.

That said, I have a version with the hemp fabric on one side, and in the past year or so I've noticed that the hemp is not holding up as well as the rest of the bag. It's separating from the black backing, leaving what are basically holes, in that the backing is gone and just the woven hemp remains. It still structurally sound, for the moment, but at this point, in those spots, it's only as strong as strands of hemp itself (which, luckily, seems to be pretty strong).

I've never machine washed it or anything, and have treated it fairly well (I mean, I've used it consistently and I don't baby it, but I definitely don't abuse it). Has anyone else had this issue with the hemp fabric over time, or did I just run into bad luck?
      smacca I have hemp/Vulcana rubber in my Little Swift (dates from 2010 — possible to cross-check this for Swift and Little Swift if the clear urethane Pockets are totally non-sticky before a material switch was made in 2011) and I also have the Aubergine/Steel/Hemp Imago. I haven’t seen any examples of hemp detaching from the black Vulcana rubber backing in the original version of the hemp fabric, although I’ve seen instances where the hemp was finally worn out after nine or ten years of daily carry use in pictures posted on Ravelry and elsewhere. (My hemp Little Swift used to be used every day before I got the Side Kick.)

The closest reports to your complaints about hemp that I’ve seen on the Tom Bihn forums have been the posts by flitcraft about the hemp on her Imago not holding up (link is to post #61, dated 11-11-2015 at the end of The Imago is being retired thread).
      My guess, discussed in my reply post, is that this was the newer batch of Hemp shown in the January 5, 2013 blog post New: Swift in Hemp/Recycled Rubber. This was the last batch of hemp that they made, and you can see the difference in the texture of the hemp in that picture:
      Hemp Swift from January 2013 batch
      The links in my old posts won’t work correctly since the upgrade to vBulletin 5 reindexed all of them, but you can view all the pictures posted in the linked thread, and I’ve supplied you with the link to the blog post about the new hemp and its picture.

I think that dorayme (who is one of the mods on the Ravelry Tom BIHN Knitting Bags forum) may have gotten an Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago made with the new hemp based on her picture of this bag with her Hemp Little Swift (I’m excerpting from the Is there a hemp organizer pouch opption? thread started in 01-15-2013 by @roadrunner)
      Imago with new Hemp and Little Swift with Original Hemp

The new hemp is on the left. As far as I know, dorayme hasn’t reported problems with this Imago. I know that Mausermama (mamaknitter over on Ravelry — another mod there) has a Hemp/Steel Swift with the earlier Hemp that does not show any of the wear you describe.

My picture of a Hemp Clear Organizer Wallet in that thread with my Aubergine Little Swift shows the texture of the original Hemp with Vulcana Rubber:
      Aubergine Little Swift with Hemp Clear Organizer Wallet
      Hope this helps. You might contact customer support for the details. I saw a Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Swift posted on eBay this week, and it didn’t look as though it had any of the detached fibers that you are reporting. I’ve also seen pictures of the same bag on Ravelry without this problem, but I think these were all with the earlier version of Hemp on Vulcana Rubber backing.

moriond

Last edited by moriond; 10-18-2021, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X