Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,576   Posts: 188,295   Members: 6,534   Active Members: 280
Welcome to our newest member, Skysarwer.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something between s19 and s25?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something between s19 and s25?

I have s19, and just came back from trip where this was my EDC bag. Didn't carry it with me all the time, but enough to know that I want to try something a big bigger.

Was considering s25, but from the videos, it looks much larger; more than I'm looking for.

Has anyone tried other bags with other brands they like maybe in the 21-22 range? I'm somewhat considering GR1 21L, but I know that I will miss the organizational easy-to-access aspects, and the weight difference. Though I might try it anyway, they offer free shipping back.

Have you tried the Synik 22?

Comment

I have a Synik 30 and not 22, but according to the specs, the widths and heights of Synik's (30,22) are identical to Synapses (25,19), only slightly deeper (0.8" or so). So, I think Synik's and Synapse's are almost identical in size in practice. I also feel S30 is too large and S22 is too small for EDC, and wish there is a medium-size (18" height) Synapse (don't need a clamshell opening for EDC).
      Last edited by gadgets; 10-15-2021, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Have you considered the Paragon? It's 19.8L but since most of the space is unstructured (not divvied up in pockets) it carries a wider variety of stuff than the S19
        I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post
          Have you considered the Paragon?
          Just looked at. Thanks for the advice. But I want something with easy access to stuff and organization.

So I think I might be going for Axiom 24. I really like the organizational aspect of it. It seems like it will be in between sizes externally between s19 and 25. Probably because it's more rectangular, and at least on paper.

One thing that feels awkward to pack the s19 is the mini tripod I have. It's just a bit long and narrow (irregular shape). With it, packing other things becomes tricky. The only place for it is the large main pocket. Axiom seems to solve that issue by having long side pockets that are accessed from the outside! There are other things about the pack that I think will work very well for me. It's pricy, but is really well designed and has a slick look to it.
          Last edited by vargan; 10-15-2021, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vargan View Post

Just looked at. Thanks for the advice. But I want something with easy access to stuff and organization.

So I think I might be going for Axiom 24. I really like the organizational aspect of it. It seems like it will be in between sizes externally between s19 and 25. Probably because it's more rectangular, and at least on paper.

One thing that feels awkward to pack the s19 is the mini tripod I have. It's just a bit long and narrow (irregular shape). With it, packing other things becomes tricky. The only place for it is the large main pocket. Axiom seems to solve that issue by having long side pockets that are accessed from the outside! There are other things about the pack that I think will work very well for me. It's pricy, but is really well designed and has a slick look to it.
            The Paragon with the addition of the Brain Bag Freudian Slip could be something to consider. It adds great organization and some structure. It’s a pretty great combo. I’ve owned a couple of Axiom 24’s. Lots of great organization in a bag that felt like an ironing board on my back. The frame sheet is super stiff. I would try before you buy if you’re able.

Comment

Originally posted by SIM View Post
              I’ve owned a couple of Axiom 24’s. Lots of great organization in a bag that felt like an ironing board on my back. The frame sheet is super stiff. I would try before you buy if you’re able.
              I kinda prefer the s19 with the laptop right against the back, so maybe it'll be better for me.

How are the side pockets on the A24? Do they fit a 1L Nalgene well?

Comment

If part of what you’re carrying involves this mini tripod, you might be able to use the Guide’s Edition Synik 22 with the tripod carried on the external lash points (via the ice axe strap accessory) similar to the way this longer tripod is shown mounted at the front of a Guide’s Edition Synik 30
                Tripod mounted on exterior lash points of Guide’s Edition Synik 30

This was from one of my old posts (10-08-2020) discussing the lash point attachments in the Guide’s Edition version designs. The Guide’s Edition Synik 22 has the same exterior structure capable of attaching a tripod, but the last batch were made up as part of a preorder that shipped out at the end of May 2021, and the returns from that batch were sold on the TB site at the end of July 2021.

This design could work for you given the extra space freed up in the main compartment from not having to carry your mini tripod inside along with the additional volume in the Synik 22 construction. (And you may find the new edgeless straps in combination with built-in frame support for the Synik 22 a more comfortable carrying combination over your Synapse 19, if you can locate à GE Synik 22).

If you bought your Synapse 19 before about April 2019, there have been some design changes in the water bottle pocket that may make it easier to use more of the side zippered pockets for storage of accessories (I gave a detailed answer to questions in @GrussGott’s 04-17-2021 thread: Synapse 25 Design Tweaks? that described updates to both Synapse lines).

In any case, since these were preorders, and made during a period when people were unsure what the work/travel environment would be when these bags were delivered (e.g, before the current detailed information on the Delta variant plus FOMO = fear of missing out as a factor in placing orders), you may be able to locate a GE Synik 22 for purchase that might work for you.

Just my thoughts on this.

HTH

moriond

Comment

Originally posted by moriond View Post
                  you might be able to use the Guide’s Edition Synik 22
                  You actually have me looking seriously at the Synik 22. After further research, it looks like it actually is a little bit bigger and may work for me.

The only issue that I've stumbled onto is the laptop compartment. It is only worth moving over if the laptop fits, but it looks like it might be a bit tight. My laptop fits without any issue inside the 2018 envelope Cache - Vertical Air 13. But could be a tight fit in the SY22.

My laptop (UX330U) is between the macbook pro that fits and air that doesn't (or just barely). Close to size with the Air. I feel like there's a chance that it could go either way.... I wish TB offered free shipping and returns, so I could try it out :/ If it would fit, I would almost certainly keep the bag...

Comment

The Paragon and S19 are similar in volume, but they pack very differently. If you're the type to have a place for everything, then the S22 would be a better option due to the pockets. If you prefer pouches and packing cubes to organize your gear, I suggest the Paragon. It packs way more than you think it should hold.

Comment

vargan The specs of the UX330U probably are too close to call without polling the forum membership to see whether someone with this specific model laptop can give you a definitive answer. But I have the old (2011) 13” MacBook Air and compared it to your UX330U published dimensions for the Synik 22 fit. In particular, although both the UX330U published dimensions are slightly smaller than those of my 13” MacBook Air, it’s the decrease in width by 0.2” that may let you get this into the Synik 22 laptop pocket from the side. I looked up my post showing the fit of my 13” MacBook Air in the Luminary 15 for the dimensions (12.8" x 8.94“) compared to the published specs on your UX330 (323 mm or 12.71” (w) x 222 mm or 8.74” (d)).

In the continental US there’s an easy returns policy that amounts to a flat charge of $10 deducted from the refund amount of all the items being returned within the 60 day window.

Salmanila8 I have the impression that access to items via the multiple outside pockets of the Synapse or Synik is one of the desired features of the bag that would be less of an option with the Paragon.

Hope this helps,

moriond
                      Last edited by moriond; 10-18-2021, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Yes, it's the easy outside access, why I like the s19 so much. And why I decided to stick with TB. I would miss all the convenience so much. Also, I've grown used to being hard on my bags, knowing that I can rely on them.

Thanks for the detailed response! Yea, the dimensions are a really close. Also, my tripod is actually a lot smaller than yours, it's a tabletop, just with long legs.

After some thinking, I decided to just stick with my current S19..... The size 'issue' is only when I want to pack the bag out more, like usually when flying. And I figured out how to pack the tripod in those times, in a way so that it's out of the way; making it easier to play tetris inside the bag...

It will be better for me to find a creative solution instead of buying another bag (again )

I might change my mind again tomorrow and pull the trigger on Sk22, but for now....

Comment

I kinda prefer the s19 with the laptop right against the back, so maybe it'll be better for me.

How are the side pockets on the A24? Do they fit a 1L Nalgene well?
                          They fit a 1L but that would take up significant volume in the main compartment. I had better luck with narrower bottles.

As far as the feel seriously thought it felt like a board with straps on it. Put on a slippery winter coat and it was a free for all of sliding around. I think a bad should somewhat conform to the users back.

Comment

Working...
                          X